Bally SS XENON (Bally, 1980) solenoids not working. Replaced Solenoid Driver board. HELP!

Solid State Machines

stotzbotz

Inserted Coin
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
twilight zone
Hello friends. I purchased a Bally XENON pinball machine and am just getting around to working out the bugs. I bought a solenoid driver board for it which is a Rottendog board. It says that it's compatible with this game. The game powers up and the LED blinks 7 times on the main board. In the first test mode the score numbers all count up properly. When you hit the solenoid test the only solenoid that energizes is #2 which is I think the extra game knocker. No other solenoids energize although it does show the counting of them as it's going through the test. The test point voltages on the solenoid driver board all are within reason with the exception of one which says 300 volts which reads 240 volts. I'm not sure where to go from here and would appreciate any help that you smart folks can provide. Thanks in advance.

Hello friends. I purchased a Bally XENON pinball machine and am just getting around to working out the bugs. I bought a solenoid driver board for it which is a Rottendog board. It says that it's compatible with this game. The game powers up and the LED blinks 7 times on the main board. In the first test mode the score numbers all count up properly. When you hit the solenoid test the only solenoid that energizes is #2 which is I think the extra game knocker. No other solenoids energize although it does show the counting of them as it's going through the test. The test point voltages on the solenoid driver board all are within reason with the exception of one which says 300 volts which reads 240 volts. I'm not sure where to go from here and would appreciate any help that you smart folks can provide. Thanks in advance.
On the power supply board, check test point 5 for 43vdc. There is a 1 amp slo-blo under playfield fuse that blows when coils go bad, and it’s original fuse holder is probably bad. This fuse is in line with the playfield solenoids common return wires and is usually the problem.

On the power supply board, check test point 5 for 43vdc. There is a 1 amp slo-blo under playfield fuse that blows when coils go bad, and it’s original fuse holder is probably bad. This fuse is in line with the playfield solenoids common return wires and is usually the problem.
was it the fuse or something else you were able to identify? My parents own a Xenon and are experiencing the same problem.
The game was refurbished and working for months over the holidays. During a game all the solenoids died when the ball entered the tube and into the left kickout hole. That solenoid moves freely and no visible shorts or loose connections.

Only #2 the kicker in the box fires on the solenoid test and the 1A SB fuse has been replaced and tested as not the issue. Same with 3/16 amp fuse on the solenoid board....All three voltages test ok on the power board.

Any help appreciated?

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: hellrzr2k1 has left the room.
      Back