Support File Popper and Baller Installer Tips Guide

TerryRed

Pinball Master
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
My Virtual Pinball Cabinet
1650284691880.png

The "Baller" Installer (made by Nailbuster) is an easy "all-in one" installer (that is virtual pinball community friendly) that will install FP / BAM / VPX / Pup / PinEvent / Popper, and two PuP based tables (1 VPX table and 1 FP PinEvent table).

It's created in a way that will automatically install and setup everything based on what you tell it during the install in regards to your layout (desktop / cabinet / 3 screen, 2 screen, etc) and resolution (4K or HD).

More info and link to the Baller Installer is here:

https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=baller_installer (baller_installer [PinUP Virtual Pinball System])

This guide is now completely updated and renamed as the Popper and Baller Installer Tips Guide

I discuss the basics of how Pinup Popper works with Future Pinball, how to customize your launch script and Games Manager options, how to use Popper to make PinEvent tables automatically work correctly with PuP-Packs, and how to use the files from the Future Pinball and BAM Essentials AIO package.

- I now have all my guides and tutorials in PDF format
- this new guide has been created to be used with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package
- all my guides and tutorials are now only included with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package

You can download the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package (and the Popper and Baller Installer Tips Guide) here:

A video tutorial that walks you through this guide can be seen here:

Chapters

00:00 Start
00:50 What is Popper and Baller Installer?
03:30 Desktop users
05:14 DMDExt, DOFLinx, FP Backbox
07:23 Popper Launch and Close Script
07:54 Launch Script Options Examples
09:58 REG ADD commands
11:46 Lookups
12:21 How Launch Script works with Games Manager
18:22 Add a new Option in Launch Script, Lookups, Games Manager (Reflections on/off)
26:48 Close Script
28:42 Keep Displays ON (Games Manager)
30:43 How to Install and setup a PinEvent table and PuP-Pack to use with Popper
42:24 PinUpdater
44:42 Closing

Last edited:
Added examples of how to NOT use DMDExt or NOT use DOFLinx on a per table basis for PinEvent tables

Last edited:
I have updated this page:

- changed launch and close script examples to have "PinEvent" in Games Manager disable the FP Backglass / Arcade mode as well as now "closing" DOFLinx by using Taskkill. There is no need for a separate NO_DOFLinx entry using this method.
- it's better to completely close DOFLinx for PinEvent tables, as using DOFLinx commands (to "disable" DOFLinx) have been causing it to crash creating other problems and still preventing DOF from working in PinEvent tables. Taskkill works for everyone everytime.
- close script will re-run DOFLinx when exiting a FP table (if DOFLinx was already running this won't have any effect or cause problems)

Baller Installer Future Pinball Tips page has been updated:

- added new info about the "FP and BAM Essentials AIO" package
- updated DMDExt info and Popper launch examples
- removed outdated info

Small change in the example launch script, to be more in line with the Baller Installer launch script.

Old example was:

START "" "[DIREMU]\FPLoader.exe" /open "[GAMEFULLNAME]" /play /exit /arcaderender /STAYINRAM

Updated example is now:

START "" "[DIREMU]\BAM\FPLoader.exe" /open "[GAMEFULLNAME]" /play /exit /arcaderender /STAYINRAM

Note that [DIREMU] (which is Launch EXE Folder) will point to the FuturePinball folder (based on the drive letter and location it was installed), not the BAM folder

1688086432392.png

Neither is right or wrong. It just depends on your setup and settings.

As I've always said, you must always check your drive letter and directory paths for where your apps are installed when using "any" example, as not everyone will always have the same setup.

In this case I wanted to have the examples match the pics and Baller Installer. So if in doubt... try the updated examples with Baller Installer setups.

Last edited:
Updated DMDExt launch script example to use the Future Pinball folder's path to run dmdext.exe

There should be a copy of dmdext.exe and DmdDevice.ini installed in the Future Pinball folder (this gets installed when you install the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package.

Updated the guide:

Do NOT use Windows 8 Compatibility!

In the past, previous Windows updates caused Future Pinball to crash for some people. The easy solution was to set FPLoader.exe to Windows 8 Compatibility. Newer Windows updates and newer BAM updates have long since solved that issue.

In my guides, I have only ever recommended to set this to FPLoader.exe "if having crashing issues". Since that is no longer the case, I no longer recommend that as even an option. If you are having crashing issues, update your Windows, update your GPU drivers, sound drivers, etc. (disable the Nihamic driver / services if you have them installed, as it causes problems)

I have found that enabling Windows 8 compatibility causes FP-BAM to have serious performance issues! (ball stuttering, etc) Make sure you do NOT have this set on either FuturePinball.exe or FPLoader.exe (and in BAM Open VR folder if using that)

1693758344165.png

This guide is now completely updated and renamed as the Popper and Baller Installer Tips Guide

I discuss the basics of how Pinup Popper works with Future Pinball, how to customize your launch script and Games Manager options, how to use Popper to make PinEvent tables automatically work correctly with PuP-Packs, and how to use the files from the Future Pinball and BAM Essentials AIO package.

- I now have all my guides and tutorials in PDF format
- this new guide has been created to be used with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package
- all my guides and tutorials are now only included with the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package

You can download the FP and BAM Essentials AIO package (and the Popper and Baller Installer Tips Guide) here:

A video tutorial that walks you through this guide can be seen here:

Chapters

00:00 Start
00:50 What is Popper and Baller Installer?
03:30 Desktop users
05:14 DMDExt, DOFLinx, FP Backbox
07:23 Popper Launch and Close Script
07:54 Launch Script Options Examples
09:58 REG ADD commands
11:46 Lookups
12:21 How Launch Script works with Games Manager
18:22 Add a new Option in Launch Script, Lookups, Games Manager (Reflections on/off)
26:48 Close Script
28:42 Keep Displays ON (Games Manager)
30:43 How to Install and setup a PinEvent table and PuP-Pack to use with Popper
42:24 PinUpdater
44:42 Closing

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: hellrzr2k1 has left the room.
      Back