Object Not Found Error on fp-item for PinMechSound

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Attack From Mars
Someone volunteered to test the table where I added PinMechSound. He gets a meditation error that says "Object Required: 'fp_item'. It doesn't make sense to me because fp_item is just some of the code for PinMechSound. Anyone have any ideas?

That means that the PinMechSound command is using a fp_item that doesn't exist on that table.

Each PinMechSound command must be updated to reflect the actual fp_item names used on that specific table.

If the user enabled DOF or PUP_SSF, then the PinMechSound command will no longer be using Playsound (which doesn't use the fp_item). It will look for that fp_item specified in the command, and if it doesn't exist (has the wrong name, etc), then you may only get that error when DOF or PUP_SSF are enabled.

This is why I say that if you aren't sure how to properly use PinMechSound, or you don't want to worry about supporting it, or getting this kind of error, then you must disable DOF and PUP_SSF, and make a note to keep them disabled, as they are not supported on this table, etc.

1705523562125.png

Note, how the PinMechSound commands's fp_item matches the Trigger, which has an X / Y position and a name that matches that FP can reference and find on this table.

If FP can't find what is shown on the fp_item section of the command, then you will get an error when DOF or PUP are enabled.

Not every table uses the same names for similar table items, so you must check them to be sure they are correct.

1705523731678.png

I copied the names off the table objects and pasted them into the fp_item parameter. There is one exception. I added the "mech_Knocker" sound that has no table object so I left fp_item blank. Should I just use PlaySound instead of PinMechSound for the knocker?

Last edited:
PinMechSound requires a valid fp_item in the command, no matter what, or it gives an error, as it's looking for an item. It can be any item you want, as long as it exists on the table (with X / Y position and a name). The fp_item is used to determine the position of where the SSF sound will be played on a 2.1 / 5.1 / 7.1 setup. (Windows manages that based on your sound setup)

Just use an fp_item that is mostly centered on the table for things that don't exist on the playfield (like a knocker which is normally in the backbox). I did this for Silent Hill for scary sounds that I wanted to play in SSF instead of the left / right channel in the normal speakers (for those who have a cabinet setup with SSF).

OK Thanks. I added the name of a trigger in the center of the table. We'll see if that works.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Killabot has left the room.
      Back