Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Table Display

FP125

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indian Jones
Bit of help with this one - the square in the centre of the table is black (one where the score info is as per screen shots)

I am using the Arcade Mode & BAM Edition version for my cabinet. Not sure why not showing - pressed all the keys (in a controlled way - not a fit of rage lol) but it won't display - unsure if a script issue - anyone else having this problem

Considering it is from 2013 the table looks really nice

yes apparently it is corrected with ..

Xbam.light.EnableNewRenderer = False

Thanks for the fast reply - appreciated

I could not find the above in the script (when using CTRL & F Search) I even just search Xbam but nothing, is it in the in-game settings instead - saw New Renderer when pressing Q and going through options \ Lights, but nothing changed when changing these

Apologies if missing something simple - such a noob

That feels like you reloaded the table without exiting FP completely.
Or you were running low on vRAM for the textures.
For better quality you obviously want NewRender enabled

Q and going through options\Lumières after you can do Crtl C, normally it says copy to clip... and you can do Crtl V in the script after "explicit option" normally... in short you call SetLightsParamsInBam for the routine that you just created it in the place of your choice in the code

That feels like you reloaded the table without exiting FP completely.
Or you were running low on vRAM for the textures.
For better quality you obviously want NewRender enabled
yes normally you want it, but I only find this solution for the moment. Could it be related to 'Enamel Mapping'? It happened strangely yesterday while covering fizX

I'll give it another go on Sunday evening as away from my cab until then. Hopefully can get it working

Could it be related to 'Enamel Mapping'?
Only if the enamel texture is corrupted but even then I suppose if it was so, it'd crash FP while loading.
lack of textures (black patches on the table) problems only happen - as far as I know - due to lack of VRAM (textures too big and not enough RAM on the GPU) or that case of loading a table after playing and not exiting FP before load a new table (or even if it is the same table).

I hope it is not a new problem!

simply had to modify the transparency of the “problem” surfaces :bonk:
Hi the square in the centre of the table is also black on my table. I Have got no idea how to fix it. Could you help me please i am very new to this so step by step instructions would help me alot. Thanks in advance

1-deselect for access.
2-select the “problem” surface.
3-select to "none" to be more sure.
4-adjust transparency like image. "a check mark"
5-test and save.

firstaid_01.jpg

Still no further

Do I edit the table before launch or when it launches by pressing Q?

I have pressed Q, gone into BAM basic menu and under mode New Renderer 1 and 2 changed brightness, day/night balance and lights reflections

No change, still black middle box

The object is an overlay that is the screen for a lot of video that has over 700 still images. My guess is that your PC doesn't have enough resources to display all the video.

You can try this stuff:

• You can change the lighting model in BAM. On most graphics cards "FP Original" is faster than "New Renderer" although on some notebooks "New Renderer" is faster. You should try both.

• On your computer, make sure you have set the profile to "maximum performance" in the power manager. To change this setting, with your mouse, right-click over the Windows desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel". From the NVIDIA Control Panel, select "Manage 3D settings" from the left column. Click on the Power management mode drop-down box and select "Prefer Maximum Performance".

• Anything that can use your graphics card can decrease game performance. This would include anything in your web browser. Close all browsers when you play Future Pinball or other programs that have graphics.

There are some other things you can try on steps 6, 9 and 12 of my guide:

Thanks for the reply but I am afraid none worked.

The good news is I have managed to make it display with some changes. Hopefully this works for yod4lyf and others too.

But problems remain as it does not show the actual score or player or ball number...it shows the video clips on the display and the word Player but after that it shows # and /

Same with Ball

Score word shows but nothing else

The balls and score do display on the backbox however

I got further by using this method....

1. Load the table but do not select F5 to play
2. Left click in the square on the table that is not displaying
3. Top right of editor screen will show Overlay and Name as Lcdbackground
4. Click the box that says Second Stage Renderer

Ok,I try to help if possible like the friends above, but I haven't yet fully understood the problem.....
here are some pictures as soon as I open the table without doing anything in Bam.....here's what I see

1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg

"Maybe" I understand that you have a problem with not seeing the videos and the scores, is this correct?...and you see a black?
Cattura1.JPGCattura6.JPG

To get to the "bottom" of the problem, also try these 2 suggestions.....
1)uncheck "V" in load image
2)move the "surface" off the table

5.jpg

Try these suggestions, and move the "surface" that is supposed to be the problem, so as to see if you continue to see black!

NOTE: a request please, help us help you......if you take photos or maybe a video (if you can) of the problem you may have it would be a lot of extra help for you

Last edited:
Hi - I am afraid the above did not work but I can confirm fix found, tested and working.

As I explained above about ticking Second Renderer, please follow these updated details:

2. Un-highlight numbers 1-0
3. Highlight no. 2, left click in square and top right of editor screen will show Overlay and Name as Lcdbackground
5. Un-highlight no. 2 and select 3 instead. Left click in all of the small boxes (LCDScoreDigits) in that square and make sure Second Stage Renderer is selected for each one. There are several to do here, I made sure I did all the individual ones and some large boxes that included others inside it
6. Un-highlight no. 3 and select 4, left click square and top right of editor will show Overlay and Name as LCDVideoGameLayer00
7. Click the box that says Second Stage Renderer
8. Close editor and save changes
9. Load up and the black box will now display the video images and scores

Hi - I am afraid the above did not work but I can confirm fix found, tested and working.

As I explained above about ticking Second Renderer, please follow these updated details:

2. Un-highlight numbers 1-0
3. Highlight no. 2, left click in square and top right of editor screen will show Overlay and Name as Lcdbackground
5. Un-highlight no. 2 and select 3 instead. Left click in all of the small boxes (LCDScoreDigits) in that square and make sure Second Stage Renderer is selected for each one. There are several to do here, I made sure I did all the individual ones and some large boxes that included others inside it
6. Un-highlight no. 3 and select 4, left click square and top right of editor will show Overlay and Name as LCDVideoGameLayer00
7. Click the box that says Second Stage Renderer
8. Close editor and save changes
9. Load up and the black box will now display the video images and scores
You are a gentlemen mate. This finally got it working. Thank you so much.

Although I have never seen a black box on the display, I tried it and didn't notice much difference. I learned something though. For some reason, I have never noticed "Second Stage Render" in all my years of working on FP.

According to the manual, "Second Stage Render (only if the overlay is on the playfield). If Enabled (Ticked), then the object will be drawn in the second rendering pass (after the ball has been drawn). This allows for the overlay to be placed on the playfield glass and correctly show whats underneath if the overlay contains any alpha component."

By "alpha component", I think it means the overlay uses a texture that is in TGA format that has an alpha channel. I noticed the overlays on this table use several TGA files.

For those of you that follow FP125's procedure, you can select all the overlays on layer 3 by drawing a box around all of them. To draw a box, click with your left mouse key on the playfield and hold it down. Then drag to the lower right and let go of the mouse key. This will draw a box. Just be sure to draw the box around all the overlays and nothing else. You will have a blank display on the right pane for a minute or so but it will eventually indicate that 48 overlays are selected. Then you can check the box for Second Stage Render on all 48 overlays at one time.

It is interesting that this table plays correctly on my PC without this change. I don't know why that is true for me and not others.

It seemed to me that it was a "black box" problem referring to the surface, and not to an overlay...in fact, like to George, I didn't even see this "black box" in the table and without touching anything, I had taken those photos to highlight precisely this problem of "black box" which wasn't there....... but if it's an overlay, well it's a completely different story.

George....I confirm for myself too, no problem on my PC!

Last edited:
It seemed to me that it was a "black box" problem referring to the surface, and not to an overlay...in fact, like to George, I didn't even see this "black box" in the table and without touching anything, I had taken those photos to highlight precisely this problem of "black box" which wasn't there....... but if it's an overlay, well it's a completely different story.

George....I confirm for myself too, no problem on my PC!

I thought I might not be seeing the black box you found on the left side of the table so I added a room model and set it to white. I do not see a black box on the left side of the table like in your screenshot.

FP125 said he had a black square in the center of his table. The only square in the center of the table is an overlay.

I thought I might not be seeing the black box you found on the left side of the table so I added a room model and set it to white. I do not see a black box on the left side of the table like in your screenshot.
That black box is the "surface", if you check it is the object that is above the overlays and is used to create a black frame(semi-transparent), 0.2mm high.

Cattura5.JPG

Now, maybe you missed something my friend..... I had given a suggestion to the 2 users who did not see the overlays (scores or balls, etc etc) and saw a black box, (that's how I understood)........even zobou had given indications for that surface which is in black color in editor (see photo)

Since I didn't see it and neither did you, and the 2 users continued to have this problem (black box), I suggested (via the photo that you rightly mentioned), I (as a test) moved the "surface" off (outside) of the table (to the left in this case) and it 'I suggested to the 2users, I also showed a photo with the editor in which I moved the "surface".....instead the problem was the overlays, which for some reason that escapes me (perhaps some setting in the video/rendering options) the 2 users did not see scores or balls etc etc, because they had the "second stage render" in selected mode.

Now if you download the table for the first time you will see that "second stage render" are disabled in all overlays,(or nothing works) look how many there are and what kind of work to put them "overlayed" so that everything works......
*send to front or send to back"
*fadeaut or fadein
*texture in "tga"
*etc etc

Cattura0.JPG

Now honestly I have never used "tga" for my overlays, always "bmp" or "jpeg"(with a black background), and if you insert an overlay you will see that the editor gives the "second stage render" already selected, and consequently (I (you, maybe others) has never had this problem, as I said above, overlays are a completely different story.

Cattura1.JPG

Last edited:
Paolo,

He says he fixed it on this message:

Paolo,

He says he fixed it on this message:
Yes...George,yes you are right, but I read it after my first suggestion :lol:

Edit:
I just wanted to explain what's in this table, and how overlays work in general.
:lol:

Last edited:
Apologies for opening a can of worms here. I'm a complete noob and no idea why after downloading it did not show the video or scores for me, whilst for others it did.

Was only by trial and error and tinkering with the editor that I found a solution.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Heard a different Aaron Neville song earlier, saw him in New Orleans...
      Reactions: xenonph
      Back