drop targets and targets with fizX

HZR

Pinball Hall of Famer
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
elm street
after all drop targets get are down the ball hitting the rubber (if all targets are down) activates an event.
the event never happens because the diverter on the drop targets stay there. if i turn off (collide) on the diverters properties then fizx doesnt effect the ball correct?
so should I not include the diverter(s) pn the drop target in this situation?
If you have 5 targets in a row then 2nd on doesnt get hit by the ball because the invisible diverter is still there and collision is on.
see pic 3.
So in these cases do we not use a diverter?

Thanks

Also is there any way to know what level a item ois on, lets say a ramp on layer number 5 may be all the way back.
If i assign that item to a different layer will it reset this? its like having a invisible Z axis.

Attachments

• droptarget.png
    droptarget.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 5
  • dropargets2.png
    dropargets2.png
    271.9 KB · Views: 5
  • droptargets3.png
    droptargets3.png
    278.9 KB · Views: 5
I don't follow your first paragraph.

You can identify the layer an object is on by right-clicking on the object and hover over the option "Assigned to...". The layer the object is on will be checked. You can change the layer the object is on using the same option. Click on one of the other layers of the list on "Assigned to..." and it will change it.

I understand that but that you can have a object on layer one and a object on layer 3 but the object on layer 1 is on top of the object on layer 3, can you not?

The layers have no relationship to the physical location on the table. Any object can be assigned to any layer. Personally, I tend to group them by function. I spend a lot of time working on lighting so I prefer having all the light inserts for the playfield on one layer, all the bulbs and flashers on another layer, and all the FizX objects on another layer. Although you can have stacked objects on one layer, I prefer to assign them to different layers so I can see them more easily.

ok, ill clarify, lest say i put a red SURFACE square on layer 1
a green SURFACE square on layer 2 and a yellow SURFACE square on layer 3
I can assign them to layers yes, but it doesn't tell me where (as in 3d) those surfaces a red on a "" z "" axis, meaning i can tell the red surface on layer 1 to go to front and it will show on top of the green and yellow, which are on layer 2 and layer 3.
Those layers help organize but they don't tell you the stack position, so I guess my question would be how do I know where a object is when there are other objects or surfaces on top or underneath them?
Does that explain it better?

How would I be able to tell that the red surface is actually showing on top of everything else? The layers don't have anything to do with what order items may be stacked in. This seemed to throw off the lighting, not to mention haven' t halo glow on a bulb on one side and not the other side.

I had a bitch of a time with a couple objects and surfaces on the elm street table that were on layer 2 but they were actually on the 4th layer stacked, and an object on layer 6 that was second in a stack of 5 items. Made me learn quick to keep things on a stack on the same layer. I had to take 6 items and rotate them front to back to finally get them to match up starting from layer 9 down. mainly the slingshot surfaces, which changed how the lighting effected the slingshots. I have to say it's not a moment that Ill forget about any time soon, especially teaching myself.

Woes of a newbie. lol

Last edited:
You can't know (with or without layers) how your objects are (on a z basis).
You have to be smart. Just organize your layers on a z basis. For example:
Layer 1: holes then layer 2: triggers then layer 3: pegs then layer 4: rubbers then layer5: bulbs then layer 6: surface (slingshots, lane guide, ...) then layer 7: orn nuts, ...
Or something like that. After, you recall (for onr area) your layers one by one: layer 1: set to back and for layer 2 (and after layer 3 and after ...) set to front.

ok, ill clarify, lest say i put a red SURFACE square on layer 1
a green SURFACE square on layer 2 and a yellow SURFACE square on layer 3
I can assign them to layers yes, but it doesn't tell me where (as in 3d) those surfaces a red on a "" z "" axis, meaning i can tell the red surface on layer 1 to go to front and it will show on top of the green and yellow, which are on layer 2 and layer 3.

Correct

Those layers help organize but they don't tell you the stack position, so I guess my question would be how do I know where a object is when there are other objects or surfaces on top or underneath them?
Does that explain it better?

The only way in the editor to determine how high a surface is to look at the top height and bottom height. A top of 30 means it is 30 millimeters off the playfield. A bottom height of 28 means it is 2 mm thick.

A bulb is a little different. It does not have top height or bottom height. You can apply a bulb to a surface and then you need to look at the surface that is applied to see how high it is.

How would I be able to tell that the red surface is actually showing on top of everything else? The layers don't have anything to do with what order items may be stacked in. This seemed to throw off the lighting, not to mention haven' t halo glow on a bulb on one side and not the other side.

Play it to see if it looks right.

I had a bitch of a time with a couple objects and surfaces on the elm street table that were on layer 2 but they were actually on the 4th layer stacked, and an object on layer 6 that was second in a stack of 5 items. Made me learn quick to keep things on a stack on the same layer. I had to take 6 items and rotate them front to back to finally get them to match up starting from layer 9 down. mainly the slingshot surfaces, which changed how the lighting effected the slingshots. I have to say it's not a moment that Ill forget about any time soon, especially teaching myself.

Woes of a newbie. lol

ok , I think I got it.
Thank you

It was a bit of a struggle for me at first. Hopefully, you have figured out how to press the F11 key and use the W, A, S, and D keys along with the mouse while playing a game to get a close look at the setup. Then you can press F11 again to lock the camera in place. Then you can use the ball roller to move the ball to see how the ball interacts with the objects. I use it like that to find rough spots on ramps.

Keep in mind, that "walls" used for a visible drop target (instead of seeing a real drop target) will never sink into a hole, like a real drop target on FP will. Walls have to start at the playfield surface, like what the AIO Example table has. So if you want it to look more realistic, use a real drop taget. If you want FizX drop target physics, then add invisible walls around drop targets.

I'm not using FizX walls for all drop targets on all tables. I depends on my mood and how many the table has, and if it's a benefit to the table layout, etc.

I recall not using FP drop targets with FizX walls when I started. Funny I never noticed they didn't drop into the holes until you pointed it out for me after I asked something. Time does fly...

The point is, are the targets "closer" to our eyes so that when they are dropped clearly show on the screen? If yes, go with the "full" design otherwise just put the walls there :) (if you're lazy like Terry, obviously :D)

PS: @TerryRed I'm just messing around mate. If you are something, it is not lazy. Not with all the work you've put in throughout the years on your work. And I thank you for it, yet again.

I prefer covering an existing drop target with a wall instead of replacing it.

i got rid of them and renames all the drop targets dt1 dt2 etc and then edit and replaced all the original names in the script.
the physics part and ball speed etc comes from the names does it not?
so i just changes the whole script for all 17 drop targets. Just had to watch to make sure i didn't replace some other script command, which I did. I won't forget doing that though, so I learned as I wanted to throw my keyboards at my monitor.
Thanks ALL. btw, Terry, was watching your sonic fixzx overview and your right its horrible to go back and play the tables without the Fizx update, it actually makes them rather pathetic, playability wise.

Keep in mind, that "walls" used for a visible drop target (instead of seeing a real drop target) will never sink into a hole, like a real drop target on FP will. Walls have to start at the playfield surface, like what the AIO Example table has. So if you want it to look more realistic, use a real drop taget. If you want FizX drop target physics, then add invisible walls around drop targets.

I'm not using FizX walls for all drop targets on all tables. I depends on my mood and how many the table has, and if it's a benefit to the table layout, etc.

What kind of effect does it have on the physics?

I am assuming that "vanilla" FP physics cuts alot of corners?

What kind of effect does it have on the physics?

I am assuming that "vanilla" FP physics cuts alot of corners?

FizX adds scatter physics if you use FizX walls named DT1, DT2, etc.

Without those walls, then its just normal FP drop target behavior.

(unlike rubbers which require you to add new replacement rubber items for FizX, otherwise the rubber won't do much of anything, because of new PHYICS XML settings that FizX uses)

FizX adds scatter physics if you use FizX walls named DT1, DT2, etc.

Without those walls, then its just normal FP drop target behavior.

(unlike rubbers which require you to add new replacement rubber items for FizX, otherwise the rubber won't do much of anything, because of new PHYICS XML settings that FizX uses)
So that means if there is a rubber behind a drop target it will never get jit if you use fizx on that drop target. so it isnt only the name of the objext (ex. dt1 dt2) it also has to have a invisible diverter wall, correct? and in case of stacked drop targets you are out of luck because those walls have to collide with the ball. if you dont uncheck this the drop targets behind the first one wont ever get hit.
Naming the table objects with the invisiblel walls names wont be effected with the fizx scatter? or will they?

so I noticed a lot of tables use slingshot surfaces , if those surfaces stick out further than the sling diverters and you have the surface option checked to collide with the ball, the invisible diverters wont ever get hit either, correct?

Last edited:
Just have a look to one of my tables wih DT (Sky Jump for example).

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Heard a different Aaron Neville song earlier, saw him in New Orleans...
      Reactions: xenonph
      Back