Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
TMNT
Turned on the old PC this morning and, something is wrong. šŸ˜­

Now it's stuck in a 'automatic repair' boot loop!

I am midway through a hopeful fix.

Only 3 more hours to go.

Wish me luck! šŸ¤ž

Good Luck @StevOz!

I've been struggling with PC's ever since I moved in October, my "future proof" PC that has been great for about 13 years didn't work after moving.
I finally got it to work for spurts before it would randomly crash.
I ordered 2 different brands of new PC's that were delivered to me, both of them had hardware problems upon arrival. The last one that I loved was a HP Omen and restarting it was fine but when booting it up with the power button it would be in a endless loop of reboots with more than 1 external hard drive connected! Spent days trying to fix it with tech support and it was determined that the GPU was whacky. I ended up returning both of them.

I'm currently using my old PC after replacing all of the fans and other stuff, it's turned on it's side with the covers removed and I'm afraid to shut it off too much. :shaking:

I feel your pain!

Grrrrr...

Step 1 completely failed onto Step 2...

Ho hum.

Damn can't boot into safe mode, F8 is not recognized and all command line commands are not recognized!

Looks a real problem, damnit.

Seems the only solution would be to boot from DVD via bios with a recovery DVD and I don't have one.

Wow, that sounds like really bad, are you sure your keyboard and mouse are working?

Keyboard works fine, once the boot loop loads the keyboard driver before it gets to troubleshooting options.

Then none of the options actually work.

That sounds like a input problem of some sort to me, not being able to boot in safe mode is nasty. I've had input devices being recognized during earlier stages of a boot and then failing.

As you know, could be a shitload of different stuff, wish you luck.

Well that's that.

Tried everything, the cmd commands that did work failed, including DISM which worked, though cannot recover, restore or even reset windows as it cannot or will not recover the data.

Now to see if I can transfer the download from my phone to a USB stick, I have one that worked with my phone not used it in awhile.

Then just set the bios to boot from USB.

Ahhhh...

Ok getting there after several false starts and dead ends.

I can recommend EtchDroid for creating a bootable USB image.

Now to see how deep this wormhole is?

Attachments

• install.jpg
    install.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 28
Install in progress had to unplug the HDMI to my 4K tv, it was trying to use that as the primary display.

Seems my old ssd is no good, it installed only to continously reboot to the login every time I login. So try again now it won't install and errors out.

Well at least I can run it live from the USB stick and Firefox sync works, so I have all my saved passwords and links.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220313_044414.png
    Screenshot_20220313_044414.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
I want to get a new PC soon, though until prices hopefully reach 'normal' levels, I'm not that keen.

Going to buy a USB3 SSD drive on Monday and use it as a boot drive for Manjaro. That should squeeze a bit more life from the old PC, until I can stumble across the PC deal of the future.

Even running the live session from a USB stick is surprisingly slick.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220313_111110.png
    Screenshot_20220313_111110.png
    636.9 KB · Views: 26
Manjaro KDE installed, it's great, makes winblows look sad, everything just works, and I've only just scratched the surface. Firefox running full screen...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220314_171723.png
    Screenshot_20220314_171723.png
    393.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20220314_171623.png
    Screenshot_20220314_171623.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 24
The days when you had to compile your own drivers are long gone and linux became much more accessible.

It's been about a week and so far Manjaro KDE is making windows look like a sick puppy.

My display are looking their best, automatically selected the best refresh rates possible on my connected displays, 75Hz for my Dell monitor and 120Hz for my LG TV! It wasn't my imagination, everything is actually looking better and sharper, VLC playback is better.

Bluetooth dongle is stable and never stops working, on Windows it would often just stop working, and I had to often use device manager to fix it!

Also discovered this cool built in KDE Connect feature, now I can transfer files to/from my phone, see my notifications and find my phone from the PC!

Also customizations, are simple and almost limitless, though it is actually rather to my liking as is with a few minor tweaks, increase the font size a bit and select the dark theme and few other minor tweaks.

Snap!

Attachments

• connect.png
    connect.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
pop quiz: For those who opened the image, how many noticed my nickname is in that there? :D

I have made it to Uranos...

Going along strong via a 1 GB usb solid state drive via boot from usb..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231017_173848.png
    Screenshot_20231017_173848.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: hellrzr2k1 has left the room.
      Back