7-Zip

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Attack From Mars
I was in the process of updating a table on PN and decided to experiment with 2 types of compression of the same files, 7z and zip. I found that the smallest size that that the zip format could do on a folder of files is 87.07MB. The best that 7-Zip could do is 39.48MB. It does take 7-Zip a little longer to run than the zip but the resulting files size of less than 1/2 the zip is worth it. Be aware that 7-Zip has a right click option to create a 7z file named "Add to [name].7z" that does not have the best compression. You get the best compression by selection the right click option that says "Add to archive...". It will open 7-Zip and you need to set "compression level" to "9 - Ultra" to get the best compression. You can download it here:

I use PeaZip … quite why I’m unsure but I’ve used it for many, many years.

While I always have 7zip on m pc , I mostly use Winrar , solely due to reason it having the option for making seperate zip files for each selected file/directory in the right-click sub menu

I hear it's possible via command line but why just a simple Qol option doesn't get implemented in the main branch of a open source software used by millions ? I don't get it

I sometimes use an old version of PowerArchiver and it was part of my test that I didn't mention. 7-Zip is a good free program but part of my point is that a 7z file is always less than 1/2 of the size of a zip file when you use the maximum compression. It did not matter whether I used the 7-Zip or PowerArchiver program to do the compressing.

PN allows posting 7z files. I think everyone could help the administrators by posting the smallest possible 7z file to save space on the file server.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: hellrzr2k1 has left the room.
      Back