3D Anaglyph

bgood

Pinball Player
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
8 ball
Poor Mans VR --- I see peoples here selling BAM's Kinect short of it's real capabilities. I can bare witness to a wonderful tool to give your Future PB tables depth. Using the kinect 360 only for eye tracking you will get a depth percetion of what I call 2.5 D. So no more flat table pinball. Now with the latest version of BAM you can set up 3D Anaglyph. You will get real 3D and i gurantee you will say 'WOW'. What you won't get is a lot of colour, but you will be able to see around bumpers, plastics etc. The colours will be black, white and shades of blue and yellow but not distorted. The first thing you will notice is seeing the detailed creation of objects, some of which you didn't notice playing what i call the flat table.
I play most of my FP in 3D anaglyph on my cabinet, for sure you will have to make some adjustments to each table but once you get the hang of it you to will praise 3D.
OBTW your graphics card should be at least a 1050. I have also a 43" 4K monitor that i use in my cabinet. You will also need the Kinect 360 or Kinect One camera plus red and cyan glasses. Read Ravarcade's instructions from his BAM site and get the SDK's he mentions from Microsoft.
I hope my ramblings will help the curious move forward with this beautiful hobby.

Is there a good sample video or something showing off what this stuff looks like?

Personally I only have a guinea pig-powered PC and am not likely to upgrade or buy new toys in the near-future. But it would be fun to see what the VR experience might look like, if possible.

Btw, how does the one below look through the goggles? I love the way that a whole room is re-created there, including a functioning jukebox. :-D

Is there a good sample video or something showing off what this stuff looks like?

Personally I only have a guinea pig-powered PC and am not likely to upgrade or buy new toys in the near-future. But it would be fun to see what the VR experience might look like, if possible.

Btw, how does the one below look through the goggles? I love the way that a whole room is re-created there, including a functioning jukebox. :-D
Isaac I will check this table out and see how it looks in BAM 3D with the X-box 360 kinect camera and red and cyan glasses. I don't use the rooms (just concentrate with the table). What I am talking about is BAM 3D found in the cofiguration section of BAM, just to make sure we are on the same page. The mention of goggles threw me off. I don't know of any video's to show this experience.
What got me started on this was when I saw a video from Ravarcade showing off BAM with a table depth just like a real PB machine. I didn't realize that a FPT recorded video from a single lens camera shows depth. I talked to Ravarcade and he pointed me to Kinect and Bam 3D.
(Just so you understand there are no VR headsets used in what I do.) Hope these ramblings help.

3D anaglyph has been added to VPX as well. It's a feature I use often with multiple layer tables like CFTBL.

Thanks Dan, I have some great VPX tables as well but never realized it had 3D anaglyph. Can you elaborate on how to set it up. I love 3D, it shows exactly what the table creators built (such great art).
I'am going to check this out to-day.

You need to upgrade to VPX 10.7. You will find a field in the Preferences/Video/Graphics Options where you can enable 3D and use a drop-down menu to choose the 3D method that works best for you. Be sure to use the scroll bar on the drop-down to see all of the options. If you are using a cabinet check the box to rotate the Y-axis.

The author has included SBS for LG monitors as well as every anaglyph variant to match your glasses. My preferred method for my setup is Anaglyph Dubois Red/Cyan. Once you enable the feature and save you can then use F10 to toggle 3D on all your VPX tables.

I notice a slight stutter in ball travel when using 3D in FP, but the VPX 10.7 3D is silky smooth.

Again Thank-you Dan: I do a lot of reading on both Pinball Engines VPX and FP. I play them both and they each have their pros and cons but your info is a suprise to me. I will check this out and report back. the more inthusiasm we create the more people will get involved and we will learn so much more.

Testing and Anaglyph Dubois works best for me as well in VP. I think because I use the Kinect camera with FP that FP is better. However I'am still working my way thru all the settings. VP has better color than FP but not as sharp, there a blury sections or poor focus on some areas of the table. Still testing.

Testing and Anaglyph Dubois works best for me as well in VP. I think because I use the Kinect camera with FP that FP is better. However I'am still working my way thru all the settings. VP has better color than FP but not as sharp, there a blury sections or poor focus on some areas of the table. Still testing.

I find some tables look sharper than others depending on the source graphics the authors had available. Many are fuzzy, as you say, while others are dazzling.

I can't say I have heard of 3D anaglyph although I haven't followed the developments very closely. I have read comments that BAM's Kinect works best if you close one eye. Apparently, it didn't work too well with stereo vision. I recall Gimli said it worked well with a 3D television that he had but 3D TVs aren't made anymore.

I can't say I have heard of 3D anaglyph although I haven't followed the developments very closely. I have read comments that BAM's Kinect works best if you close one eye. Apparently, it didn't work too well with stereo vision. I recall Gimli said it worked well with a 3D television that he had but 3D TVs aren't made anymore.
George: I have seen Gimli's reply as well, (Dec.2021). With the latest BAM in 3D Anaglyph using Kinect (360 X-box) and the Red /Cyan glasses things have changed. I can make the table really deep ( Z ) way deeper than you would want to play a game. but deep just like a real pin. The playability is realistic as well. It makes the models stand out and you can see the authors real creation. Now the only thing is the colours are not as vibrant as playing in non 3D. I use the half color mode in anaglyph. My gpu is a gtx 1050 and that may have something to do with what I'am getting. I'm so impressed with anaglyph 3D, that this is the only way I play my tables now. The only other problem I have is that you will have to adjust each tables settings slightly before you play each game. For some reason the save as default doesn't save the table exactly, and if you move to a different table and then go back you will have to re adjust.
I'm currently trying to get VP Anaglyph set up properly. I'm close but so far not as well as FP. It may be because there is no Kenect involved.
Thanks again to all the creators including you George. I have used your instructions from the beginning and what a beautiful hobby we have.
OBTW - I'am doing my testing on a full wide homemade Williams table replication with an Avera 4K 43" TV. My computer is middle of the road i5
so I hope I've sparked an interest in the community to take a look at 3D Anaglyph.

Last edited:
I remember a guy that had Active 3D Glasses. The glasses would alternate each eye with black and sync with the TV that display the correct view for each eye. It is definitely not something to use during the day and I am not sure how good the frame rate would be. It seems like he used it with a standard TV though. I'm not sure it could be used with FP/BAM or not.

Fast trip down to memory lane... Way before 3d craze I had active glasses like that they came with my Riva 128 if I recall correctly. Mind blown at the time!

Decades later 3d TVs offer or had the option of using this type of glasses too.
My eyes don't quite like this system though.

George: I have seen Gimli's reply as well, (Dec.2021). With the latest BAM in 3D Anaglyph using Kinect (360 X-box) and the Red /Cyan glasses things have changed. I can make the table really deep ( Z ) way deeper than you would want to play a game. but deep just like a real pin. The playability is realistic as well. It makes the models stand out and you can see the authors real creation. Now the only thing is the colours are not as vibrant as playing in non 3D. I use the half color mode in anaglyph. My gpu is a gtx 1050 and that may have something to do with what I'am getting. I'm so impressed with anaglyph 3D, that this is the only way I play my tables now. The only other problem I have is that you will have to adjust each tables settings slightly before you play each game. For some reason the save as default doesn't save the table exactly, and if you move to a different table and then go back you will have to re adjust.
I'm currently trying to get VP Anaglyph set up properly. I'm close but so far not as well as FP. It may be because there is no Kenect involved.
Thanks again to all the creators including you George. I have used your instructions from the beginning and what a beautiful hobby we have.
OBTW - I'am doing my testing on a full wide homemade Williams table replication with an Avera 4K 43" TV. My computer is middle of the road i5
so I hope I've sparked an interest in the community to take a look at 3D Anaglyph.
ya I tried the 2 different types of Anaglyph Red-cyan vs red-green and one was slightly better
both of course worked well with Kinect

3d TV plus Kinect is by far the best as you see full colors and not the limited colors of anaglyph
Active shutter(Samsung) /or Passive (Lg) vs Side by Side
Side by Side I could always get to work on my Samsung 3d TV.
The Active Shutter mode had higher resolutions but it stopped working
Lg Passive 3d Technology I think is better as you don't need batteries for the glasses

I find the best solution now is VR

I also tried hacking the PS3 eyes instead of the Kinect but the Kinect is way easier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Killabot has left the room.
      Back