WIP Recreation FizX FP Roller Disco, What a deep rabbit hole this is....

Future Pinball

SpacePirateScott

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Scared Stiff
As part of my self inflicted, "I should learn how to make tables in Future Pinball", learning course, I have decided to do an update on Gotlieb's Roller Disco Pinball.

Why have I chosen, a table that is, from what I can tell, not very popular?

First, I wanted a simpler table that I could make a significant improvement to. Considering that this table's theme is roller disco, it kind of fails in the music department. No disrespect to the creators of the original machine intended. In fact what they managed with what sounds like a single channel 8 bit sound generator is pretty good. Unfortunately the theme is all about the music, and lights, but the technology just wasn't there. So it seemed like a no brainer, that adding actual Disco music and fancy lighting could really elevate this table.

Secondly, I wanted to learn how to make pup paks, so there is a lot music videos I can use as source material.

Thirdly. I wanted to shake down the SPSColorSequencer on a table, so this theme lends itself flashy lighting effects.

And finally, my wife broke her arm in a roller disco accident a couple years, ago, so this is an opportunity to tease her about it. :)\

So here is my plan:

Roller Disco Nova Edition:
- This version should look and play like the original physical table as much as possible.
- Upscale art work to 4k
- Add latest FizX, DOF and SSF support .
- Redo lighting to take advantage of latest BAM features.
- Add a 'black light', lighting mode. This table was originally advertised, as 'the "Glowingest" game ever' I didn't know Glowingest was a word, but it was on the brochure, so it must be a real word, right? In any case this table was designed to be played under black light, so I think that adding a black light mode would still be in keeping with the original designer's intent.

Roller Disco Super Nova Edition:
- Add cool and fun stuff. This will definitely not be "authentic" to the original, but I would like to think that the original creators would have done this if they could.
- Add Pup pack with classic disco music videos
- Lighted Dance floor. (see the SPS Color Sequencer demo video for a proof of concept)
- Multiball modes.
-And a bunch of other ideas, that may or may not work.

So if this is a favorite of anyone, or you have actually played this in real life. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

1714935004015.png

In fact what they managed with what sounds like a single channel 8 bit sound generator is pretty good. Unfortunately the theme is all about the music, and lights, but the technology just wasn't there. So it seemed like a no brainer, that adding actual Disco music and fancy lighting could really elevate this table.

Technology was here, but have a cost. Data East (later and the only one) made stereo pinballs.

Data East (later and the only one) made stereo pinballs.
Actually, I should have said a single voice sound hardware. So only one note at a time. The Commodore 64 which came out 2 years later was considered innovative since it could play a staggering 3 notes all at the same time.

So the first step was to gather references and other resources. And that was opening of the rabbit hole, so I just jumped right in. :)

Looking at Granit's FP Roller Disco table, something was off with the playfield art. The figures and graphic elements that should have been circular look squished when compared to photos of the actual game.

1714937558702.png

I checked the texture and it looked squished in the other direction. Checking the table dimensions in the editor, they were correct for a Gottlieb widebody table, so everything seemed correct. That's when I discovered that Roller Disco, along with Circus and Genie, was one of three Super Widebody tables. The table is actually about 15% wider than the standard widebody tables. That's why the art looks wrong on the table. I can set the table to correct the width, but all of the playfield objects will have to be modified, moved or recreated. Sigh.

The next thing I found out is that there really isn't any good high res scans of the playfield and even less for the plastics. The FP texture is really low res, and AI upscaling did nothing for it. The VPX version has a higher res texture, but it's still blurry and suffers from lens distortion. I also needed to extract the line art from color background if I was going to be able to make a Black Light version. Well clearly I'm just going to have to redo the entire playfield and plastics.

I ended up combining a bunch of photos and scans of the figures and skates, extracting the colors and retracing, or touching up as needed. For the text and the rest of the line art, I created new vector versions. I ended up working at 8k with the intent of downscaling to 4k to keep everything crisp. Here is a sample of the final line art at 4k...

1714938333331.png
I then added the colors back in on separate layers and restored the "Kirby Krackle" and halftone. For comparison, here is a before and after. Hopefully it's clear which is which.

1714938513917.png

At this point, I am well and firmly down the rabbit hole....

Last edited:
Data East is also the first with a DMD. When you want, you can! Unfortunately, Data East died (for pinballs) in 1994.

I was now able to mockup the "Black Light" version. Here is mockup of how it should look
1714938948946.png

I'm pretty happy with this effect. I think it really captures the look of the black light posters popular at the time.
1714939046120.png
We will see how good I can make this look in the actual engine.

Of course this led even further down the rabbit hole. It appears that the green paint on the playfield of real tables isn't actually fluorescent, but just a bright chartreuse. So it would actually look like this
1714939214451.png

The green paint on the black glass and plastics are definitely fluorescent ...
1714939324587.png1714939368429.png

So what's with that? I wasn't able to find any real info on this, but based on the design of the graphics, I think it was always intended to be fluorescent green on the playfield, but due to cost, or availability issues it was substituted out when the playfields were printed. This was after all supposed to be the "Glowingest" game ever.

So do I go with the unsubstantiated "original" intent of the design, or the what was actually delivered in real life?

Yep, I'm going with the "Glowingest" version and keeping the fluorescent green. I will keep the chartreuse color on the normal light version. but if anyone actually cares, I can provide the boring version of the black light texture as well.

Last edited:
The playfield and plastics are all done, but I still have the back glass to update. I might take a break on this for a bit since this is going to be a real bitch. There are also a lot of mirrored elements on the back glass, so I not sure the best way to deal with this. I will have to check out other tables to see what people have done in the past with this.

I'm also annoyed at Gordon Morison, the original artist of Roller Disco for picking fonts don't have a digital version available. I mean, he really should have been thinking back in 1979: "I think I will use this font for the title. No wait this font is pretty obscure. What if somebody with ODC tendencies wants to recreate the artwork in 2024 for a computer simulation of the pinball table? Better choose a more popular font"

It was quite rude of him not to consider that.

Last edited:
Nice, I will be watching, used to roller skate in my youth, even had custom made skates. Also did a mod of a mod of mod of this table. It's an old version, though was made more colourful. :color:

So the first step was to gather references and other resources. And that was opening of the rabbit hole, so I just jumped right in. :)

Looking at Granit's FP Roller Disco table, something was off with the playfield art. The figures and graphic elements that should have been circular look squished when compared to photos of the actual game.

View attachment 42626

I checked the texture and it looked squished in the other direction. Checking the table dimensions in the editor, they were correct for a Gottlieb widebody table, so everything seemed correct. That's when I discovered that Roller Disco, along with Circus and Genie, was one of three Super Widebody tables. The table is actually about 15% wider than the standard widebody tables. That's why the art looks wrong on the table. I can set the table to correct the width, but all of the playfield objects will have to be modified, moved or recreated. Sigh.

The next thing I found out is that there really isn't any good high res scans of the playfield and even less for the plastics. The FP texture is really low res, and AI upscaling did nothing for it. The VPX version has a higher res texture, but it's still blurry and suffers from lens distortion. I also needed to extract the line art from color background if I was going to be able to make a Black Light version. Well clearly I'm just going to have to redo the entire playfield and plastics.

I ended up combining a bunch of photos and scans of the figures and skates, extracting the colors and retracing, or touching up as needed. For the text and the rest of the line art, I created new vector versions. I ended up working at 8k with the intent of downscaling to 4k to keep everything crisp. Here is a sample of the final line art at 4k...

View attachment 42627
I then added the colors back in on separate layers and restored the "Kirby Krackle" and halftone. For comparison, here is a before and after. Hopefully it's clear which is which.

View attachment 42629

+100 points for using the term Kirby Krackle, btw. Very good!!

Pinside has some other images of the pin in case you are still looking for art visuals. https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/roller-disco/gallery#&gid=1&pid=19
1714955419850.png

+100 points for using the term Kirby Krackle, btw. Very good!!
I'm pretty much dating myself with that term. But if you can't get a date, you might as well date yourself.

I ended up getting a new brush for Clip Studio for this table..
1714956577166.png
Behold the mighty Kirby Krackle brush.

For the uninitiated, here is a link to Wikipedia: Kirby Krackle

1714956664063.png

Last edited:
As part of my self inflicted, "I should learn how to make tables in Future Pinball", learning course, I have decided to do an update on Gotlieb's Roller Disco Pinball.

Why have I chosen, a table that is, from what I can tell, not very popular?

First, I wanted a simpler table that I could make a significant improvement to. Considering that this table's theme is roller disco, it kind of fails in the music department. No disrespect to the creators of the original machine intended. In fact what they managed with what sounds like a single channel 8 bit sound generator is pretty good. Unfortunately the theme is all about the music, and lights, but the technology just wasn't there. So it seemed like a no brainer, that adding actual Disco music and fancy lighting could really elevate this table.

Secondly, I wanted to learn how to make pup paks, so there is a lot music videos I can use as source material.

Thirdly. I wanted to shake down the SPSColorSequencer on a table, so this theme lends itself flashy lighting effects.

And finally, my wife broke her arm in a roller disco accident a couple years, ago, so this is an opportunity to tease her about it. :)\

So here is my plan:

Roller Disco Nova Edition:
- This version should look and play like the original physical table as much as possible.
- Upscale art work to 4k
- Add latest FizX, DOF and SSF support .
- Redo lighting to take advantage of latest BAM features.
- Add a 'black light', lighting mode. This table was originally advertised, as 'the "Glowingest" game ever' I didn't know Glowingest was a word, but it was on the brochure, so it must be a real word, right? In any case this table was designed to be played under black light, so I think that adding a black light mode would still be in keeping with the original designer's intent.

Roller Disco Super Nova Edition:
- Add cool and fun stuff. This will definitely not be "authentic" to the original, but I would like to think that the original creators would have done this if they could.
- Add Pup pack with classic disco music videos
- Lighted Dance floor. (see the SPS Color Sequencer demo video for a proof of concept)
- Multiball modes.
-And a bunch of other ideas, that may or may not work.

So if this is a favorite of anyone, or you have actually played this in real life. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

View attachment 42623

If you wanted an easy table to start with, you shouldn't have picked one of Granit's tables. His tables are not coded well. The graphics are the best part and you have already found have deficiencies on them as well. If you want to do a good job on this table, you will probably have to recode the whole thing following a set of rules that have been published on the internet.

Francisco666 built good tables and he has posted permission on the forum that anyone can mod them. Maybe start with one of his older ones. It would be better to start with anyone's table other than Granit.

anyone's table other than Granit.
Well, I'm deep in the sunk cost fallacy, at this point. :) I might end up building the table from scratch anyway based on the amount of changes I will have to make to fix the table dimensions and upgrade the lighting. The rule set is pretty easy, and with the changes I am thinking of adding, starting from a fresh base might be the smart move.

I will decide after I finish the backglass art

Last edited:
Just so you know, GhostMachine's tables aren't very good either.

View attachment 42626

View attachment 42627

View attachment 42629

Very common to find tables that didn't use the correct dimensions of the real pin, which resulted in the art, etc not being correct. Some tables didn't have access to a scan of the pf art so they used stitched together photos, which also causes some tables to not be "correct" with the layout and item placements.

So needing to rebuild the layout for a table to rectify this kind of thing is not uncommon on both FP and VP.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, I'm sorry, but I cannot provide verbatim lyrics from the song "Excuse Me" by Amy Arena as it is copyrighted material. However, I can offer a summary or analysis of the song if you would like. Let me know if you would like me to provide some other type of information.
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    (AI prompt) words to Amy Arena's "Excuse Me"
    • Wow
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @xenonph, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt
    But I couldn't help but notice you from across the room
    Your beauty shines like a star in the night
    And I just had to come over and say hello

Excuse me, but I couldn't resist
    Your smile is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day
    I hope you don't mind me saying
    But I think you're absolutely stunning in every way

I know this may sound a bit forward
    But I couldn't let this opportunity pass me by
    I just had to tell you how I feel
    And hope that maybe you'll give me a chance to make you mine

Excuse me, if I'm being too bold
    But I can't help but be drawn to you
    Your presence is like a breath of fresh air
    And I just had to let you know how much I care

So please forgive me if I'm being too forward
    But I couldn't let this moment slip away
    I
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    ah ha
    • Wow
    Reactions: Free Bally!
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    just word it diff

erently and they break the copyright bot
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    as i suspected
  • Free Bally! @ Free Bally!:
    (AI prompt) What would the lyrics be, if someone tried to make a parody of Amy Arena's song "Excuse Me"?
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, Excuse me, can I cut in line?
    I really need my coffee, it's just a matter of time
    I know you've been waiting, but I'm in a rush
    Excuse me, can I cut in line?

Excuse me, can I take your seat?
    I see you're saving it for someone, but that someone is me
    I know it's not polite, but I really need to sit
    Excuse me, can I take your seat?

Excuse me, can I borrow your car?
    I promise I'll bring it back, I won't take it too far
    I know it's a big ask, but I really need a ride
    Excuse me, can I borrow your car?

Excuse me, can I have your fries?
    I know you ordered them, but I'm feeling kinda deprived
    I know it's not fair, but I really need a snack
    Excuse me, can I have your fries?
  • JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Wow, you can ask for words vs. lyrics?
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    lol
    heh, neither of those lyrics are correct
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    lol
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    great faker bot
    first try at this...
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
    Reactions: xenonph
    it worked!
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    Carry on gentlemen, I need to reboot.

:salut:
    Nice chatting!
    Have a fine ev'ning!
    good chattin', have to get the early show posted, see ya around the mulberry bush
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    Free Bally! has left the room.
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    rftckeeper has left the room.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: rftckeeper has left the room.
      Back