VPX WIP Robot Invasion Dark Quest vpx8 conversion

Did some more model export and import then decided I'd print out the script so I can work on the conversion while I'm not at my pc. Oh my this might take a minute to convert. Wasn't expecting it to be this thick

Attachments

• 20240112_120445.jpg
    20240112_120445.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 6
Had some time today. The table is basically built and physics are in place based on vpw example table v12 with nfozzy and fleep. Just needs some cosmetics screws and a few holes. Just have to add the gi lighting and inserts and building flashers. After that it's coding. And image conversions to smaller formats

Attachments

• RI (1).png
    RI (1).png
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
So now to the fun part. Building the stuff to compensate for the differences in vp and fp. Starting with inserts. As far as I can tell the fp table uses image based inserts. Since I'm using the vpw example table as a base, and I'm getting very nice results in my blackout build. I decided to go with a vp halo light below the playfield with an insert primitive with a primitive lightmap and a text overlay flasher. I think they are fairly realistic looking.

Attachments

• RIInserts.png
    RIInserts.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Moving right along. The table is completely built physically and visually aside from screw heads/hardware and adjustments to fit in the vr cabinet. So I'm not a 3d modeler so I'm piecing together the vr room from what is available and making some things like the back box out of vp walls converted to primitives. Once the vr room is done it just needs coding. Hope to have the backbox done tomorrow

Attachments

• RICabinet.png
    RICabinet.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Ok so the vr minimal room is done. So all that is left is a few slight adjustments to table objects and some screws. Then trim out all unnecessary images and materials. Finish converting everyth8ng to webp.
Then code.
Hope fully not too much longer

Attachments

• RIVRFssBackboxModelHolo.png
    RIVRFssBackboxModelHolo.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • rivrmin.png
    rivrmin.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
Ok. Had to completely rebuild the backbox and retexture.
As of now the table and vrroom are completely built.
All that's left is the code
So see you in hopefully in a month or 2. Looks like a pretty long script.

Attachments

• RIjustCode.png
    RIjustCode.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
Ok so I converted all the images to a smaller format and renamed and ordered then by their fp image list names. So before I coded in the rules and physics I wanted to make sure the holograms would work. So this was the test all working great with all images inside the table.
So with this done hopefully this will be coming ver soon.

Attachments

• RI-1.mp4
    31.3 MB
Ok so I converted all the images to a smaller format and renamed and ordered then by their fp image list names. So before I coded in the rules and physics I wanted to make sure the holograms would work. So this was the test all working great with all images inside the table.
So with this done hopefully this will be coming ver soon.
Looks fantastic!
This gives hope to those trying to make the holograms for Star Wars Episode 1 table mod!
It can be done!
You just showed proof that it can be done!

Can't wait to see this table in action using VPX!
Your work is appreciated!

Almost done. Sorry I'm not a good player and I just finished coding so just trying to find bugs. It's almost copy and paste from the fp table. Added nfozzy as best I could. First time. Fleep a little but a lot of the sound is straight from the fp table.
Still need to work on some of the music/sound conversion subs.
Didn't feel like doing all the fonts for the text on the score display so I decided to remake the apron and added a display which will show text, high score input and instant info. Anyway. Its a fun table. Need to work out some kinks but shouldn't be long. Includes minimal vr room.
Maybe someone would make a b2s for cabinets or add dof. I've never done it someone always did that part for me . Ok here's what I got so far.

Looks pretty good. The display is not quite as translucent as Steve's table but not bad. Do you think you can create other Pinball 2000 tables now?

Should it be more translucent? I can do that easy? The lights show through some wasn't sure how dark it should be.
As soon as I finish this I'm going to start an original pin2k style table. Trying to narrow down a theme.

The holograms image transparencies are not the same as on FP is what he means. You can see the black areas and the edges of the images.

FP holograms remove all "black levels" in the images automatically. So everything that is pure black should be completely transparent. The rest of the image is semi-transparent based on the colour, etc.

If you can't do similar in VP (automatically remove black levels), then you would need to manually edit each texture image / frame in all videos, and use something like Gimp / photoshop (transparency - "colour to alpha", and choose black) to make it an alpha transparent image with all black levels removed.

That's a lot for a conversion. I've edited everything once. 600 8mages just in the backdrop lightlist. I think I'll just drop the opacity a bit. Was trying to make it play more similar to pin2k so rather then angling the hologram as Steve did. I have it parallel to the glass so it would be where the video reflection would appear on the pin2k mirror glass. I'll post a video of the vr room and the cabinet later after I finish the dmd

Reducing opacity should do it. I wouldn't change all the images.

Dmd is almost done. Just need to figure out dof and make some stopmusic/voice-over subs.
If you don't do the dof right, can it damage a person's cabinet?
I don't have dof so I don't know. But if it's possible I will leave it for someone else to add.
Any info is appreciated

Dmd is almost done. Just need to figure out dof and make some stopmusic/voice-over subs.
If you don't do the dof right, can it damage a person's cabinet?
I don't have dof so I don't know. But if it's possible I will leave it for someone else to add.
Any info is appreciated

If devices are left on when they shouldn't be for long periods of time (flippers stuck on, knocker stuck on, etc), then depending on the person's setup they can burn out solenoids.

It's why I always left DOF as the very last thing to do, in case buggy code may leave something on from a crash. If you can't test DOF yourself, and have never really added it before... I would leave it for someone else to do for you. Lots of VPX tables don't have DOF at first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back