WIP Original Table FizX BAM FP Masters of the Universe - Collector's Edition

Future Pinball
Seriously impressive. I thought all the built in game objects of the same type shared textures. Did you have to put in custom models for each?

Most FP's models are still loaded from either a common library, or were added to the table in model manager.

Every model can use a unique texture with a different name. I simply rendered to a different texture for each model, item. I use BAM's pup plug-in command (use for multiple things, PuP was just the name used) to swap textures (as it deals with the texture name directly only) instead of the older BAM replace texture command (which needs an item or surface name).

The only models you can swap textures with are "FP" models / surfaces, etc. You can't swap textures with BAM Custom FBX / OBJ models.

1713591124709.png

Before

1713591449156.png

AFTER

No light

1713591318657.png

Blue Light

1713591335307.png

Purple Light

1713591372254.png

etc.

Last edited:
Despite the name... a BAM Shadowmap is also a Lightmap. It creates both a shadow and coloured light (on the playfield surface) to match the bulb's light colour it was created from.

Examples can be seen here in Jaws BBE...

and Star Wars DSA GE...

Some of the code for the inserts :)

1713591608040.png

1713591629110.png

Please tell me you have automation to help you with this.

Please tell me you have automation to help you with this.

If you mean the baking process or coding.... mwahahaha... I wish. No such luxuries. (That is one thing the Blender Toolkit tries to do for you on VPX... but even then its still very complicated.)

So while it takes a while for me to do this (it took a couple of nights learning how), it's still much quicker than other aspect of table making. I can control every aspect of each render / bake as I want. It goes quickly on my PC. I'm not using additional models.

I also already had the entre table in Blender and setup already. So this was mainly turn on a light, select the model, bake, save image. Change the light to new colour. Repeat.

Some of the code for the inserts :)
You could seriously use a helper class for this. I think it would be pretty easy to whip up something that monitored the states of insert lights and swaps the appropriate texture when the light.Lit value changes. That way you don't have to worry about the updating the texture everytime the insert needs to be turned off and on, and would also work when then a light sequencer is running.

Something like this
Dim DropTarget1TexMan : Set DropTarget1TexMan = New TextureManager
DropTarget1TexMan.AddObject DropTarget1,"DropTarget1Texture"
DropTarget1TexMan.AddWatchedLight Insert2
DropTarget1TexMan.AddWatchedLight Insert1

So everytime Insert1 or insert2 is lit DropTarget1's texture gets swapped appropriately

You could seriously use a helper class for this. I think it would be pretty easy to whip up something that monitored the states of insert lights and swaps the appropriate texture when the light.Lit value changes. That way you don't have to worry about the updating the texture everytime the insert needs to be turned off and on, and would also work when then a light sequencer is running.

Something like this

So everytime Insert1 or insert2 is lit DropTarget1's texture gets swapped appropriately

This is automatically doing just that using the Sub DrawFrameTick timer (which is automatically used for each time a frame is drawn). It's only changing the texture or brightness when the .LIT state changes and works automatically with the light sequencer or whenever the light changes. The PuP Plug in (I think) does a check to the previous texture value and won't do anything unless the value changes to something new / different.

I also need total control when this is used for each light as I only want some of this to change under specific conditions / modes / gameplay. I don't always want this to make a change or the same changes all the time.

This isn't as simple as "light1" changes "texture1". You can have 3 different light combinations (and colour combinations) affecting multiple items and textures at the same time. They also can change up at any time and is different for some modes, etc.

Last edited:
This is automatically doing just that using the Sub DrawFrameTick timer (which is automatically used for each time a frame is drawn). It's only changing the texture or brightness when the .LIT state changes and works automatically with the light sequencer.
Very nice. I'm doing something similar for the ColorSequencer.

New - Castle Grayskull Mirror display

=================================

The table's original display didn't really do much on the original table except show a few small videos. Then I decided to have it mirror everything the HUD was showing... but I wasn't really happy with that either.

motu ce - old display.png

So I decided to replace it with a new model of the Sorceress Mirror from Grayskull. It plays an animation similar to the background used in the intro for the 80's cartoon.

It will display images of different characters for various callouts or splash events. It will also show you what mode you are playing in. The holograms blend perfectly to give a similar look to the original in the show.

I think this works better to fit with the theme of the table.

View attachment motu ce - mirror.mp4

WORK IN PROGRESS

Wouldn't it be cool to have ray traced Neon lighting?

While working in Blender on the MOTU CE table, I always loved turning on the neon lighting and making it "emissive" to see how cool it looked in Blender with ray traced lighting and shadows. I always wished I could make my tables look like that. Well...

Hold my Timmies...

First pic is the table in Blender with the neon lighting preview.

motu ce - Neon Blender.jpg

Second pic is a side by side comparison of the older lighting in-game on the left... and the new lighting in-game on the right. As Blockbuster would say.... "WOW! What a difference!"

motu ce - neon update.jpg

It's amazing what some pre-baked ray traced lighting, and a few smartly placed Future Pinball realtime dynamic lights will do. You need both to get this effect.

The prebaked lighting textures on the wall, ramps, etc makes it look more realistic. The FP realtime dynamic lights actually light up everything in 3D space around those areas.

I never thought all those months ago when I first tried Blender baking, I would actually have the table look very similar in FP, including the neon lighting!

So.... who's ready for some excessive neon lighting?

These pics show how the new neon ramp lights look when both ramps are on and the G.I. is off.

motu ce - neon - drain - blue, cyan.jpg

motu ce - neon - drain - green, orange.jpg

motu ce - neon - drain - red,pink.jpg

motu ce - neon - drain - yellow, white.jpg

These pics show how the new neon ramp lights look during different modes and with different colour combos, etc

motu ce - neon - purple.jpg

motu ce - neon - ripper,castle.jpg

motu ce - neon - robot.jpg

motu ce - neon - scareglow.jpg

motu ce - neon - shera.jpg

motu ce - neon - sorceress.jpg

motu ce - neon - teela.jpg

motu ce - neon - skeletor.jpg

This looks cool in pics. Look VERY cool in gameplay. Looks insane in VR.

Last edited:
Once again you are pushing the limits of what FP can do. How many of the playfield objects actually have swapped baked in light textures. The sides, back and playfield I assume. Is the rest of the effect come from the hardware lights? Sorry, that I'm always asking "how are you doing this?" questions. :)

Once again you are pushing the limits of what FP can do. How many of the playfield objects actually have swapped baked in light textures. The sides, back and playfield I assume. Is the rest of the effect come from the hardware lights? Sorry, that I'm always asking "how are you doing this?" questions. :)

Every single item / model that has a texture can use pre-rendered baked textures. Just use the BAM PuP-Plugin (command) to swap them (as it deals with texture ID's, not FP items / surfaces). Same as I did for the inserts and other bits).

For the neon lights, I'm currently using pre-baked textures for the sidewalls, backwall, ramp decal, ramp starter plate, and the prison sign in-between the ramps at the back. Since there are so many different colours used, I pre-rendered textures for each colour.

I use three FP flashers (hardware light) with no model, positioned at the back of the ramps, the left under the bridge, and the right near He-Man.

1714250246037.png

Are you worried about running out of memory for the textures? Are the textures stored in FP's 4 gigs of ram, or does the BAM Pup-Plugin use external memory?

Are you worried about running out of memory for the textures? Are the textures stored in FP's 4 gigs of ram, or does the BAM Pup-Plugin use external memory?

No worries for running out of ram so far. I'm always keeping that in mind when I add to the table progressively.

With Silent Hill, at one point I went well beyond 4 GB of GPU ram (when testing long ago, not currently using that much... for now at least).

When I asked Ravarcade about ram limitations regarding BAM Custom models (since BAM models are formatted to a TGA file so they can be added to FP), he said the only limitation is GPU ram. I don't know if that also applies to normal FP textures as well.

I don't know if that also applies to normal FP textures as well.
At the rate you are adding textures, I guess you will find out soon :)

Are you bothering with baking in Ambient Occlusion? I think it would make a big impact on daytime tables, but I don't know how much it will add on a nighttime table.

At the rate you are adding textures, I guess you will find out soon :)

Are you bothering with baking in Ambient Occlusion? I think it would make a big impact on daytime tables, but I don't know how much it will add on a nighttime table.

I create for one specific look (I don't do day / night time), as "everything" on the table (and the baked textures) needs to be tuned for the look that I want. I don't cater to what others may or may not want, as you can never make everyone happy. It's better to stick to my own "style", instead of compromising for the sake of what someone else might prefer.

The bakes in Blender are including everything except for glossy reflections (for the reasons I mentioned before). FP supports AO in BAM Plugins, but AO tends to create artifacts and also may render through some things such as overlays or holograms, etc.

FP supports AO in BAM Plugins, but AO tends to create artifacts and also may render through some things such as overlays or holograms, etc
My cabinet has a 3D tv in it, and I've noticed the AO BAM plugin just looks wrong in 3D, so I turn it off. I assume that it would also be a problem in VR as well. I was just wondering if you bake in AO while you are baking in the lighting into the textures.

I think all pinball looks better in low light even the real tables. There is a reason that all the arcades are dimly lit :)

With the type of lighting you do, you pretty much have to lock down the lighting settings.

New - Neon and other lighting - Mega Gameplay Video Demo

This video shows how the new (pre-baked / ray traced) neon ramp lights (combined with FP realtime dynamic lights) as well as all other new lighting, looks during different normal gameplay and the 11 modes I have so far. Lots of cool looking stuff!

This has got to be one of the most colourful games out there.

I've waited years to see those neon ramps look this good. I figured I would do it on a new (non Stern) Tron table first (now that I can do this... gimme time). This is the next best thing. I love it!

No, this does not mean it's almost done. More Man-E Modes to go and some other new features that may get added. At least now I can focus on that stuff now while having all this awesome lighting.

I had to convert from 4K to two videos in 720p :(

Part 1

View attachment motu ce - new lighting mega demo - pt 1.mp4

Part 2

View attachment motu ce - new lighting mega demo - pt 2.mp4

You might make the "from Mattel" voice, Mattel logo and references to the toy collection switchable. I don't know about the rest of the guys, I prefer to think about the cartoon when I play the game and not so much about the toys by Mattel. I would prefer to omit the things that seem like an advertisement for Mattel. Just my constructive criticism.

The MOTU toy line is what was created first in the 80's. The 80's cartoon was made afterward specifically as an advertisement to promote the 80's toys. Same with the cheesy 80's live action movie. Everything that is MOTU exists for the purpose of promoting the toyline (which had new versions over the decades). The original FP table has models of the toys, and half the art on the playfield and plastics comes from the actual sticker art used on the toys. This new table is littered with actual model scans of the 80's toys. One doesn't exist without the other.

The entire objective of this new "Collector's Edition" table is to "collect" all the toys. The "From Mattel" sound drop is something very nostalgic for those who grew up watching the show and the 80's toy commercials. It's all part of the experience of this new table, and won't be changing.

Last edited:
WORK IN PROGRESS

New Man-E Mode : JAW BREAKERS (Trap Jaw)

I just completed creating an all new Man-E Mode bringing MOTU CE up to 12 modes now. This new mode is called JAW BREAKERS.

Trap Jaw is attacking the palace. Teela responds by flying into air on her Sky Sled and going after him. You'll see the actual toy models of Teela riding on a Sky Sled flying around the playfield, waiting for you to hit the right shots. After you do this then Trap Jaw gets shot down.

Now Trap Jaw will appear on the playfield as a new BumperHead toy. You need to pursue him! Avoid hitting him directly when his insert is red, or he'll eat your sword ("delicious!"), and he'll spit you out elsewhere!

If you make the right shot, then Trap Jaw will fire his Energy Bow at He-Man across the playfield with a cool light show. He-Man blocks every blast. Then if you make the next correct shot, Trap Jaw fires his Lasertron at He-Man with another lightshow, and He-Man blocks every blast.

Now, you must hit Trap Jaw directly once his insert is blue. This results in He-Man bending Trap Jaw's Lasertron, making his weapon useless. Now you must make the last shot at the He-Man kicker. He will now pickup Trap Jaw and toss him far away, resulting in you clearing the mode and getting the Trap Jaw toy!

Now with the new pre-baked (ray traced) neon lighting, you get a crazy cool lightshow when combined with FP's realtime dynamic lighting! You also see me making good use of my Orko Shots to have Orko help me make some shots easily, and to save my ball from draining!

More Man-E Mode are coming!

View attachment motu ce - trapjaw demo_1.mp4

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: momohoho27 has left the room.
      Back