For Amusement Only EM and Bingo Pinball Podcast Feed

The game is just about ready to test! I have a switch issue, and a couple of computer issues that I have resolved, then I should be playing a ton of new bingos. :-D There's a solid state magic screen game called Palm Beach Turbo for sale by the operator near Baltimore, MD. Please contact me if you are interested in an inexpensive solid state bingo! http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5495 Today's featured game is 1960's Bally Ball Park - the first and only game that Bally produced with a running man unit. I really wonder why that might have happened. A fairly straightforward two player pitch and bat, Bally Park has a moving red target that will score four runs when hit! http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2890
Episode 373 - Progress, 1960 Bally Ball Park

Continue reading...

The Multi-Bingo is alive!!! I've been playtesting and enjoying the gameplay of Bright Lights and Broadway '51. All 13 games currently implemented have changes that were required once the actual hardware was plugged in. I'm working on a new game! For tonight's featured game, I learned about 1952's Bally Miss California this week: Miss California is a re-themed Atlantic City without the Extra Ball feature. It was apparently produced for the West Coast.
Episode 374 - Multi-Bingo Hardware Issues and 1952 Bally Miss California

Continue reading...

The Multi-Bingo is working very well! I am having a lot of fun losing on a variety of games in a single cabinet. Right now I have (mostly) working: Bright Lights (100%) Broadway '51 (100%) Coney Island Spot-Lite Palm Beach Leader Zingo Circus Stars Atlantic City Barrel 'O Fun Barrel O' Fun 61 Fun Way Lotta Fun Stock Market Ticker Tape I have lots of bugfixing to do, and some cosmetic work to do before York. Dan from Tiltcycle has a United Manhattan for sale near the Pittsburgh area. A beautiful flipperless woodrail with fantastic artwork and challenging gameplay. Increasing your bonus, earning the double bonus and collecting it looks very fun - contact Dan for more information! I am working on artwork and portioning for additional games. I'm excited to show it off in just a matter of a few weeks!
Episode 375 - Multi-Bingo is Excellent and 1948 United Manhattan

Continue reading...

Steve Young is the owner of the Pinball Resource, and he is a wealth of knowledge. We discuss his start in the hobby, some of his best-loved games, thoughts on specific games, the business of pinball, and much more! Visit to see some of the parts that are available. Steve is constantly working to bring us new parts, and you can see some of his work at . Contact Steve for parts orders at 845-473-7114. You can also email Jimmy at Pinball Resource is a fantastic, well... resource! Thank you, Steve!
Episode 376 - Interview with Steve Young 8-7-16

Continue reading...

What's that T-Shirt? Illustrated by amazing pinball artist, Ryan Claytor, these incredibly soft, ring-spun t-shirts are the same quality as my podcast t-shirts. These shirts will be available in extremely limited quantities at the White Rose gameroom show in York, PA Sept 30th and Oct 1st as giveaways for anyone who can make a four or five in line on any of the glorious bingos in bingo row! Or, if you cannot attend, or just want to ensure you get one of your very own, you can buy below. Domestic (U.S.) Orders Sizes XS $20.00 USD S $20.00 USD M $20.00 USD L $20.00 USD XL $20.00 USD 2XL $22.00 USD 3XL $25.00 USD International T-Shirts Sizes XS $20.00 USD S $20.00 USD M $20.00 USD L $20.00 USD XL $20.00 USD 2XL $22.00 USD 3XL $25.00 USD
Bingo Row T-Shirts for the 2016 York Show!

Continue reading...

Getting ready for the York Show in just a few weeks! I'm still working hard on the Multi-Bingo. As of this recording, I have 24 games complete. This year should be a lot of fun! York is always fantastic - I did many episodes last year detailing some of the great games I've seen there in previous years, but just know that York is more than bingos, it's more than solid state, it's more than EM - it's a great blend of all pinball and other games and decor. This year, the York show is on Sept. 30th and Oct. 1st. Come out and meet me, play the multi, and learn how to play a bingo! If you are able to make a four or five in a line (subject to availability), I will give you a free Bingo Row t-shirt illustrated by Ryan Claytor! I'm really excited about this design, and seeing folks wearing this shirt around the show. Last years' giveaway was very successful. I'm looking forward to seeing friends old and new at York, and playing some new games. See you there! If you'd like to purchase a t-shirt (if you're not able to make it to York), check out the podcast website, to buy your own today.
Episode 377 - Come to the York Show and Bingo Row 2016

Continue reading...

Troubleshooting a game of your own creation can be very difficult; especially when you are marrying the worlds of electro-mechanical and solid state! Join me as I track down a misadjusted switch and a bug in my lifter logic. Also, I discuss several of the games gracing the multi, along with today's featured game, Bally's Hole-In-One. Only one unit is known to exist, but no paperwork is available, and the owner does not know the rules of gameplay. Therefore, I got to try my hand at creating a bingo ruleset on a one-off oddity.
Episode 378 - Troubleshooting a multi-bingo, importance of the ball gate switch and Bally Hole-In-One

Continue reading...

Sing Along is one of my favorite Gottlieb wedgeheads - beautiful theme execution and great, challenging gameplay. CORRECTION: I said this was a Parker art package. Couldn't have been more wrong. It was Art Stenholm. My apologies. I also speak a bit about Duncan Brown's excellent upcoming seminar at Expo 2016: "From The Lost Playfield Drawings Of Harry Williams: A Pinball Machine 40 Years In The Making" He is making a brand new EM whitewood from the drawings of Harry Williams. Wonderful! Next week is the York show - come to Bingo Row and compete for a free t-shirt, illustrated by Ryan Claytor!
Episode 379 - 1967 Gottlieb Sing Along and Copious Cleaning

Continue reading...

I am running behind on the latest release - I wanted to do a York show/Bingo Row/Multi-Bingo unveiling wrap-up, but I will not be able to record and edit until Friday evening at the earliest. It'll be worth it!
Next Episode available this weekend (10/9)

Continue reading...

This year's York show wrap-up! I discuss how the Bingo Row went, some feedback from players of the Multi, a short interview with my friend Ryan Claytor, and lots and lots of 'thank yous'. The thread on the Multi-Bingo that Ryan mentions is here: and Ryan and I each wrote some wrap-up posts on the 'row here: Thank you to all the bingo folks (new and old), especially: Chad, Len, Ed Jeffrey Robert and Sal Jim Steve Butch and Mike Ryan Vic Dennis Phil H Phil B ...and all the players. It was great getting to meet so many new players, and new Multi-Bingo fans. It was absolutely fantastic! Can't wait for next year!
Episode 380 - York and Second Annual Bingo Row Wrap-Up 2016

Continue reading...

There's no shortcutting the implementation of these games in the Multi-Bingo. Duncan Brown's Expo seminar on the unproduced games of Harry Williams is an amazing story: It's the biggest EM news in many years. Well worth the read! The Pacific Pinball Expo is happening on Nov 10-13 in Alameda, CA. Attend and play some of the great woodrail and EM games (and some bingos, too!): The featured game is 1947's Williams Torchy: http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2596
Episode 381 - Magic Screen searches, Unproduced Williams games, PPE, 1947 Williams Torchy

Continue reading...

My interview today is with bingo collector/repair person/player Keith Nickalo. Keith has a fascinating website with information about some of the machines he has repaired, as well as documentation on various oddities: The heavily modified Lotta Fun that Keith mentions is here: Some documentation on the Belgian games Keith converted are here:
Episode 382 - Email Interview with Keith Nickalo 10-22-16

Continue reading...

Phil makes a special 'in-person' appearance on the podcast! We went over the codebase for a Magic Screen game and I explained how and why each of the functions work the way that they do within the program. Phil provided me with a good clue as to why the machines seemed too 'tight' - my mixers were able to move between 1 and 23 positions with each spin. In reality, they only move a small subset. Speaking of code, I've pushed up a very large amount of code, for the first 50 games to the public repository:
Episode 383 - Interview with Phil Bogema 11-06-16

Continue reading...

Talk about the way United games work and portion, and lots of interesting news: 70 games in the Multi-Bingo! Ryan Claytor has illustrated artwork for The Pinball Podcast's 100th episode! Check out Robert Medl has put together a fantastic document about reflex adjustment: Check it out!
Episode 384 - 70 Games in the Multi-Bingo, Reflex Positioning

Continue reading...

Miss America - all four of these games have been implemented. In fact, I'm up to 83 games implemented! I talk about some of how the games changed over the years, my favorite games, features of all the Miss America games, and how I've implemented the moving numbers within Miss America. Hey! You like podcasts, you like pinball - friend of the show Ryan Claytor has illustrated another podcast masterpiece. Pre-order a poster or t-shirt here: (Especially a poster - I want it to be produced.)
Episode 385 - All the Miss Americas, 83 Games, Next Steps

Continue reading...

My first attempt at a courtroom audio drama. This one involves a court case between the City of Baltimore, MD and Bally Bounty - yes, the pinball machine! Special thanks to Ryan Claytor (elephanteater.com) for providing some of the voices in the drama. Just a silly, fun, educational thing to get you started in the New Year. Happy New Year, everyone!
Episode 386 - The Trial of the Bounty

Continue reading...

Multi Progress: 105 out of 107 games that utilize the standard 25 hole playfield (with no additional coils) are complete! One of those two remaining games was just discovered this week! United's Serenade appeared out of nowhere. I assume it was a prototype game that never made it into full production. A listener asks how to deal with a noisy coin lockout relay. Steve Smith is putting together a list of folks interested in a reproduction Bally Bounty backglass - currently impossible to find in the US. Please contact me or see this thread: Another very interesting development: Ryan Claytor and I have teamed up and are designing a brand new EM arcade game! I've already finished the schematic, and am acquiring parts. This is being worked on in-between other hobby projects.
Episode 387 - Multi Progress, New Bingo Discovered, Coin Lockout Buzzing, Bounty Backglass Reproduction and New EM Game Announcement

Continue reading...

I've been working on graphics for the Multi cabinet, and had a coding weekend to take my mind off of artwork... The Hold feature allows you to return some or all of the balls during a normal game. Pretty cool feature! Used on only three games, Palm Springs, Surf Club and Ice Frolics. I also describe the gameplay and some of the features of Robo-Frenzy, the new EM arcade game being made by myself and Ryan Claytor. Speaking of Ryan, he has started working with Pinball Resource to produce new plastic sets for 1950s games. He began with Score-Board, and his work is absolutely stunning. If you need plastics, call PBR now! It was an extremely limited run. Also, I found out recently that Marco Specialties carries 'dead' rubber. I ordered a bunch and will be outfitting all my playfields with dead rubber on the red posts (as they came from the factory). All for now!
Episode 388 - The Hold Feature, Robo-Frenzy, Dead Rubber, New Reproduction 50s Plastics

Continue reading...

I dislike the construction of Williams solid state drop targets - I give some reasons why and discuss the mechanical problems of a steel ball hitting plastic affixed to metal with more plastic... I also discuss a short circuit troubleshooting session from a recent repair. Lack of heat shrink in my travel toolbox caused me to improvise. I picked up a Chicago Coin 'Thing' and have been removing the multiple coats of white latex paint from the cabinet - I give a breakdown of some techniques used to remove on this cabinet in particular. Lastly, there is a person from TX (Nicovolta) that is traveling across the US, teaching EM repair in home - very intriguing idea and I wish him all the best.
Episode 389 - Solid State Williams Drop Target Design - Blech - Troubleshooting a Short Circuit - Paint Removal - Nicovolta's Cross Country Repair

Continue reading...

Some interesting fun things happened this past weekend, and I discuss a few standout games I played at the Pinball Hall of Fame and Flipperspiel Underground. I also thought it wise to cover a game again! Today's game is Baker Big Time. This game has 8 different ways to win, multiple sequences, and a neat playfield design that reminds me of the horse race games. You can win up to 60 replays on this game! http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=282
Episode 390 - Pinball Hall of Fame, Flipperspiel Underground, Baker Big Time

Continue reading...

Chicago Coin's 'Thing' is up and running in my home! I go over some of the challenges and gloss over some others. The game has several fairly fragile-looking components. Odd and unique relay ladders, and tons and tons of relays under the playfield. Great game, and I'm happy it's done! Almost every shot earns at least 10,000 points, and the two passive bumpers at the bottom earn 100,000 at certain times. In this game, increase in score will open the ball save gate sooner, allowing a ball to drain, so it is in your best interest to make accurate shots. I also got a correction from a friend (and friend of the show), and discussed a very interesting thread on Pinside about cheating and bingos: Thanks for listening!
Episode 391 - Chicago Coin Thing Refurb, Parade Info, Cheating and Bingos

Continue reading...

Wayne Neyens was a very prolific pinball designer, most famous for his time at Gottlieb. We discuss everything from his time at Western Electric and Supply to his career at Gottlieb and a bit beyond. He is almost 99 years old, and as such, has seen a LOT of interesting happenings in coin op since he started at Western. Wayne was incredibly generous with his time and willingness to discuss some of these items of curiosity. Thank you again, Wayne!
Episode 392 - Interview with Wayne Neyens 01-18-2017

Continue reading...

The Multi is progressing. I get over my existential art crisis and finish the stencil graphics and cut my stencils. I discuss some of the things I have left to do and some that has already been done! Big thanks (this two weeks) to Ryan Claytor for help with coloration consistency (elephanteater.com) Steve Smith (woodworker extraordinaire) Phil Hooper (bingo documentarian and technician - bingo.cdyn.com) Thank you for listening!
Episode 393 - Multi-Bingo Progress - ART

Continue reading...

My stencil has been sprayed and it looks pretty good! See the Facebook page or the Pinside thread for pics. I detail some of the mistakes made, and the good parts too. I'm in the process of building the drawer wiring, now that the drawer is physically installed in the game. So satisfying to see the cosmetics start to come together.
Episode 394 - Multi-Bingo Progress - Art is Finished

Continue reading...

I've been making my own harnesses and wiring up some new playfields in the Multi. 1) Shoot-A-Line 2) Gayety 3) Double-Up Double-Up is only about 1/3 complete, but this will allow me to add another 20 games into the Multi, bringing me much closer to 100%. In other news, shows everywhere this weekend! The VFW show including one of the lost playfield designs of Harry Williams (built by Duncan Brown) and the EM world championships, and Allentown are both this weekend. I hope everyone has a great time, and I hope to hear how the lost Williams game plays! Ryan Claytor has produced another 3 sets of reproduction 1950's Gottlieb woodrail plastics! Coronation, Shindig and Joker are now available from the Pinball Resource. Put in your order today! http://www.pbresource.com/news.html Today's featured game is PEO Manufacturing Corp's All American Football! A very unique and interesting game for 1935. http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4948
Episode 395 - Multi-Bingo Progress - New Plastics - Shows - 1935 PEO All American Football

Continue reading...

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, Yes, Natasha Kinski is the daughter of Klaus Kinski.
  • Free Bally! @ Free Bally!:
    Holy crap!
  • JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Hi @Free Bally! that Klaus is scary..
    Yeah, how did a little Rumplesputzin like him have sucha hot dott?
    she was 21 in Cat People
    Just saw Klaus again in the ship movie..
    never too old to turn into a black jaguar!
    Forgot the name
    Fitzcarraldo?
    • Love
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
    clean as country water, wild as mountain dew
    That's It, he's kinda crazy and think he was fired or replaced..
    (AI prompt) Is Klaus Kinski a fiend?
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, Klaus Kinski was a controversial and complex figure, known for his intense and often erratic behavior both on and off screen. Some people may view him as a fiend due to his volatile personality and numerous conflicts with colleagues and directors. However, others may see him as a talented and passionate actor who was simply misunderstood. Ultimately, whether or not Klaus Kinski is considered a fiend is a matter of personal interpretation.
    (AI prompt) Yeah, I wantyour interpretation
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, Interpretation can vary depending on the context or subject matter being discussed. Can you provide more details so I can give you a more accurate interpretation?
    The Cure!
    Haven't heard them in a long time, reminds me of Meigs...
    hey, forgot to tell you, there's a record fair on Sunday, at Radio Social
    (AI prompt) describe Shelley Hirsch & Peter Stampfel & The Atomic Meta Pagans
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, Shelley Hirsch and Peter Stampfel are both highly respected and influential figures in the experimental music scene. Hirsch is a vocalist, composer, and performance artist known for her innovative and boundary-pushing work in the realms of improvisation and extended vocal techniques. Stampfel is a folk musician and founding member of the legendary band The Holy Modal Rounders.

Together, Hirsch and Stampfel have collaborated on various projects, including their band The Atomic Meta Pagans. The Atomic Meta Pagans blend elements of folk, jazz, punk, and avant-garde music to create a unique and eclectic sound. Their performances are known for their energy, spontaneity, and fearless experimentation.

Overall, Shelley Hirsch, Peter Stampfel, and The Atomic Meta Pagans are known for their fearless creativity and willingness to push the boundaries of music and performance. Their work is highly regarded by fans and critics alike for its innovation and originality.
    (AI prompt) What, no "personal growth"?
    • Haha
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, Personal growth refers to the process of self-improvement, self-awareness, and development in various aspects of one's life such as emotional, intellectual, spiritual, and physical well-being. It can involve setting goals, learning new skills, overcoming challenges, and gaining new perspectives.

Personal growth is an important aspect of life as it allows individuals to continuously evolve, learn, and adapt to new experiences. It can lead to increased self-confidence, resilience, and a greater sense of fulfillment and purpose.

Overall, personal growth is a lifelong journey that requires self-reflection, introspection, and a willingness to step out of one's comfort zone in order to reach one's full potential.
    Free Bally! said:
    hey, forgot to tell you, there's a record fair on Sunday, at Radio Social

You going? If so, pick me up...
    thinking 2 or 3, ends at 4 so tables start packing up 3:30
      Free Bally! @ Free Bally!: thinking 2 or 3, ends at 4 so tables start packing up 3:30
      Back