When to add sounds to music manager vs sound manager

madmrmax

Weeeeeee
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones (Williams)
If I want to add a different sound for ball rolling when rolling on a ramp or wire something, I understand that I use PinMechSound function. Doing so, where should the sound(s) I want to play be stored in? In the Sound Manager or Music Manager?

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I just needed to read the script a bit more to see that it is using PlayMusic vs PlaySound

thanks
-mark

Last edited:
If I want to add a different sound for ball rolling when rolling on a ramp or wire something, I understand that I use PinMechSound function. Doing so, where should the sound(s) I want to play be stored in? In the Sound Manager or Music Manager?

thanks
-mark

If using the AIO Example Table's Code and sounds, you don't use pinmechsound for ball rolling at all. You use the automatic Ball Rolling function, and when entering / exiting a ramp, you simply change what sound is played by using triggers to control that (as shown in the example table). Changing the ball rolling sound to a different sound (plastic / wood) only works with FP playing the sounds, not with PUP SSF as PUP is hard coded to only play one set of sounds with specific filenames for ball rolling.

With FP, if you want to use sounds that will loop, or change pitch, or be stopped / interrupted, then those sounds must be added to Music Manager (and use a playmusic command).

If using the AIO Example Table's Code and sounds, you don't use pinmechsound for ball rolling at all. You use the automatic Ball Rolling function, and when entering / exiting a ramp, you simply change what sound is played by using triggers to control that (as shown in the example table). Changing the ball rolling sound to a different sound (plastic / wood) only works with FP playing the sounds, not with PUP SSF as PUP is hard coded to only play one set of sounds with specific filenames for ball rolling.

With FP, if you want to use sounds that will loop, or change pitch, or be stopped / interrupted, then those sounds must be added to Music Manager (and use a playmusic command).

So when calling BallRolling_WireRamp, how can I tell it what ball it applies to so it knows where to position the sound at?

Actually you mentioned that SSF as PUP is only hard coded to play one set of filenames. Is that just a limitation of the AIO? Just curious. I don't use SSF/PUP but it would be great to understand if (in the future) it could support wire and plastic rolling sounds as well.

So when calling BallRolling_WireRamp, how can I tell it what ball it applies to so it knows where to position the sound at?

Actually you mentioned that SSF as PUP is only hard coded to play one set of filenames. Is that just a limitation of the AIO? Just curious. I don't use SSF/PUP but it would be great to understand if (in the future) it could support wire and plastic rolling sounds as well.

*** FP Ball Rolling sounds ***

- FP playsound and playmusic is limited to stereo output
- ball rolling and pinmechsounds are not positional (for FP sound)
- there is no FP function that allows us to change the audio position (left to right) in realtime within FP itself
- ball rolling sound must use playmusic (you can only have 8 playmusic channels max)
- only one ball rolling sound can be played at one time when using FP sound (you don't want to take up multiple music channels, as many tables use them for much more than just music)
- the AIO ball rolling code will use either the first created ball, or the last created ball to track for FP ball rolling sounds. If the tracked ball is destroyed it should move on to the next available ball to track.

*** PUP SSF Ball Rolling Sounds ***

- PUP SSF uses whatever your audio device uses for sound output (2/5.1/7.1)
- pinmechsounds are played in 3d positional space based in the fp_item's position on the table
- can track up to 6 balls at a time with full 3d positioning for each ball
- PUP SSF Ball Rolling (only works with FP) is hard coded to look for one set of sound files for Ball Rolling. This can't be changed in FP script. It's just the way PUP is hard coded for the time being, and we can't get around it
- if you want to change ball rolling sounds for PUP SSF when the ball is on ramps... best you can do is add new code / commands try to mute the PUP ball rolling volume level and play a different sound when ball enters a wire ramp, etc. Not exactly the easiest thing to properly manage with up to 6 balls at a time.

Last edited:
Thanks Terry. For FP and AIO, when PlayMusic is played, can multiple balls be playing rolling sound?

Thanks Terry. For FP and AIO, when PlayMusic is played, can multiple balls be playing rolling sound?

Already answered that in previous response.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: hellrzr2k1 has left the room.
      Back