Pinball Pirate
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
White Water
What I think Pinball Nirvana needs to do is have a huge shakeup
Focus on what PN is good for, nix the areas which get little traffic

Combine the three site sub forums (Site announcements, feedback, problems ) into one
Keep the General pinball section for discussion on real pinball, but remove the maintenance and 'for sale' sections. these areas do not generate good new members, and only pinballdaveh is supplying tech answers
The automatic news feeds, usually old news by the time i read them and nobody here is wanting to buy a POTC topper for $2500

Keep the VP and FP just the way they are, but i would also cut out the 'other simulators' completely

Forums have changed over the last 10 years, sites which used to have a great deal of traffic are now virtual ghost towns
I used to use forums to help with my technical issues, but today I post an issue on the forum and it is silence, post the same problem on a Facebook page and have 5 solutions within an hour

Upvote 0
The post above was split out from here, as these suggestions no doubt deserve their own topic.

To recap: some days ago, you'd PM'd me that the "Real Pinball" section needed abridgement, and I agreed to an extent, and suggested you post publicly. So here we are. Btw, feel free to edit or suggest a better topic title, as I'd rather not put words in your mouth.

In any case... interesting comments(!) They're more comprehensive than I thought they were going to be. Or maybe 'a bit stronger' is the better phrase.

Moving forward, I want to note that I had a hand in a number of site changes, mainly as an admin, across almost two years (early '20 to late-ish '21). As a "consultant" these days, I'm aiming for much less involvement in direct changes, instead trying to stick to suggestions and help out as needed.

Point is-- this feedback is stuff that ideally @JonPurpleHaze and whoever cares to do so should be looking at and responding to.

That said, I'll respond with some of my own thoughts below..

- Streamlining and removing bloat is usually a good thing IMO. There was a point last year when the staff was trying to carefully go through the various subs with that in mind, but IIRC we got sidetracked at some point and didn't really finish.

- Combining "Suggestions / Feedback" and "Site Problems" makes sense to me. They're very similar subs. "Site Announcements" is a much more distinct sub to me. This is why we have an in-box and out-box on our desk.

- The "Maintenance" sub is one we've actually done a lot of work on the past year or two. All the various questions and answers have been meticulously labelled by maker, machine, and whether the issue has been resolved, that work done by Charles and I.

The point of all that of course is to form a sort of 'database of solutions' that can be searched up by anyone on the web. Sure, DaveH is our current expert (bless him!), but there have been several others helping out through the years. In fact, the new progress bar below user ID's indicates individual solutions found, which usually comes from maintenance issues.

I think what would be useful as a next step is to show people at other venues the solutions we have. To do some 'highlights' and 'roundups'.... that sort of thing.

- Definitely agree that "Sales, Swaps & Needs" isn't used anymore, and should be closed at the current time. Whether it's best to keep it as a potential resource or retire it out of view is a different aspect.

- Personally I don't mind the newsfeeds at all. Whether you're strictly a real-life pin player or a 'virtual only' player, at least some portion of what's in the newsfeeds will tend to resonate, I think. It would be cool to hear some other peoples' opinions on that, though.

- "Other Pinball Simulations" has a real point to me, because, y'know... FP & VP aren't the only games in town. For example, if people want to talk about Zen games, Farsight, Pro Pinball, etc, it's nice to have a space for that talk.

- That said, there's some subs there that really don't need to exist as unique subs at this time. At the very least they should be bundled in to more top-level subs.

- Side note: am I completely delirious, or did someone add "FP" and "VP" subs under "Other Pinball Simulations"?? I'm sorry, but... LOL!

- I'll go ahead and agree that the forums in general have become more 'stale' over the years. Indeed, back around '19-early '20, when this site was in danger of going down, I was arguing on VPF that PN should be preserved and valued, even if it's got a 'museum quality' to it. Of course it's picked up a lot since then, but either way, PN does have a certain 'curated / archival' aspect to it IMO. Which I still think holds lots of historic value at the very least.

- Also, I think it's good to remember that much of the pinball content on Facebook (and/or whatever else) were essentially built on the backs of the forums. For example, the comprehensive spreadsheets of tables regularly updated there? (technically hosted on Google Sheets IIRC) Yeah, those listings in fact point to forum downloads 99% of the time.

- Also, FB's thread structure is bare-bones to the max, and the various forums have much richer thread structure & tools, plus are much better at in-depth, comprehensive discussions. Indeed, when I google pin sim & maintenance issues, I've never seen a single publicly-available, useful topic pop up on Facebook. No, usually I see answers on Pinside or VPF, and sometimes even here at PN.

- Lastly: yeah, FB may still be hugely popular with an older set, but honestly, it's a nauseatingly disreputable, predatory site. Users are literally & transparently just dollar signs to the shareholders, anything you share is now their copyright, and that site will take money from almost anyone at all even if it harms the public good. For example, propaganda which turns elections or encourages anti-vaxxers. They really are disgusting.

True-- I always appreciated the fact that I could use FB to look up my HS classmates and old friends I'd lost touch with over the years, but the problem is, every moment of that process you're also being manipulated in one way or another, whether you realise it or not. Even trying to get a vanilla, uncurated stream (i.e. without manipulation) of your FB friends is way harder than it should be.

So yeah, FB may have an upper hand at the moment, but the day that godforsaken, awful site dies certainly won't hurt anyone other than the grifters in charge.

Anyway, guess the latter section is my rant for the day. :-D

Last edited:
I looked at the graphics section. The part I don't see anywhere easily are the pixel dimensions of the images. I would need to know that before I would download it. I would need a backglass to be at least 1024x1024 pixels, playfields 1024x2048. It would be nice if the dimensions would be available on the first page. Jon may be able to capture this from the images themselves and not have to perform manual updates of each image.

@GeorgeH,
Good suggestion IMO.

Right now I believe image size is only obvious if the uploaded image has a camera's "metadata" attached. Example here, below the "Media Information."

On a helpful note, part of the reason for the banner above such media is to help advise users how to visually get a better sense of how big & high-quality the image actually is, i.e. when not scaled down.

But it's true-- if you want the exact numbers, you have to hit "Inspect" in Chrome or something like CTRL-I in Firefox. That's a bit of a PowerUser move, I guess.

DevTools image data.jpg

EDIT: Actually, I screwed up the example above.
Oh well, learned something!

So-- the way Chrome's "Inspect" tool works is to spit out the literal dimensions you're currently viewing. I.e., if you're looking at a truncated version of large image, Inspect won't actually tell you how big the image is unless you go ahead and click it, viewing it at full size. (see below)

Last edited:
Whoops!
Here we go: (explanation above)

Real size.jpg

I guess the lesson is-- if she's got a nice figure, then be sure to credit it properly!

Last edited:
The post above was split out from here, as these suggestions no doubt deserve their own topic.

To recap: some days ago, you'd PM'd me that the "Real Pinball" section needed abridgement, and I agreed to an extent, and suggested you post publicly. So here we are. Btw, feel free to edit or suggest a better topic title, as I'd rather not put words in your mouth.
I had time to think
Even if only one thought gains traction, that is a win to me

You can also scroll down on right side of page and check the BB Code for sharing the image, and it will have the dimensions there when it is not in the pics Metadata section.
Capture.PNG

Just (Chrome) right click on the pic then "Inspect" ->
Size.jpg

You can also scroll down on right side of page and check the BB Code for sharing the image, and it will have the dimensions there when it is not in the pics Metadata section.
View attachment 24514
Oops, I think I was mistaken yesterday when I had the idea that my browser's script-control was blocking "Share the Media" from popping up. In fact it seems to work a little differently.

For example, when I first click on a media item, I'm presented with one view and set of options, seen in attachment one. But then, if I merely refresh the page, I get a different set of options, seen in attachment two (note: I rotated my monitor to 'portrait view' to fit everything on one screen).

In both cases, I've scrolled down as far as possible. "Share the Media" isn't lurking underneath view one, in other words.

Maybe see if you can replicate the issue on your end. I'm not sure I've ever seen site software that works like this...

Attachments

• PN media-- first view.jpg
    PN media-- first view.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 17
  • PN media-- second view (portrait mode).jpg
    PN media-- second view (portrait mode).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 22
I cannot replicate it.
I tried changing screen resolution (I tried them all), and changing style with Xenoforo style chooser.
I also tried refreshing page with every change I made.
Share media always shows for me.
What resolution are you running at Ike?

Edit:
Hold on!!
Ok it does the same thing for me too!!
When I just click on pic for first time, it shows same as your first pic.
I have been opening pics in new tab. (I always use this method, so the first page is always there to go back to without having to refresh or click back button.)
This is why I could not replicate.
When you just click on pic, as opposed to opening pic in new tab, it seems to act just like clicking on one of your attachment pics above.
It is only viewing the pic, as opposed to showing actual full page that the pic was added too.
You get the same thing if you look for pic on Yahoo Images.
If you just click the pic, it is shown in a viewer, like your first pic.
But if you open Yahoo pic in new tab, it doesn't use the pic viewer like shown in your first pic.
So it is probably just the way a browsers pic viewers were made to work.

Last edited:
You get the same thing if you look for pic on Yahoo Images.
If you just click the pic, it is shown in a viewer, like your first pic.
But if you open Yahoo pic in new tab, it doesn't use the pic viewer like shown in your first pic.
So it is probably just the way a browsers pic viewers were made to work.
Actually, the URL's are changing in that Yahoo Images example.

For example, when you're looking at a page of images, you'll see a URL like this: (bloat removed)
https://www.google.com/search?q=snails&tbm=isch

Then if you click on a single image, it will go in to it's 'preview mode,' adding specific image info at the end of the URL:
https://www.google.com/search?q=snails&tbm=isch#imgrc=1-_C5oY3hwsVNM

It's true though, if you instead click 'open in new tab,' you'll get a different preview format, with extra URL info that refers to the site of origin. But note-- in all three cases, the URL changes in significant ways, just as one would expect.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to fully test this with Chrome (FF used to let me do it easily), but I'm thinking in PN's case this might be an html and/or 'frame issue,' such that even though the URL doesn't change, the page's source has it displaying somewhat differently in different scenarios. Fun, huh?

End of the day? Adding an info line to the media banner notice should take care of the issue for end-users. Guess I'll start an internal thread where we can talk about that and the other proposed changes here..

I had time to think
Even if only one thought gains traction, that is a win to me
Okay, Charles (@xenonph) and I have made the following changes this week:

- "Suggestions / Feedback" and "Site Problems have been combined in to one.

- "Sales, Swaps & Needs" has been closed to new activity, and marked as an archive. Help-banner also updated.

- "Bingos / Gambling," "EMs," and "Flipperless" have been moved from a unique section to the "General Pinball" section.

- The small bit of content in the "VP" and "FP" subforums in "Other Simulations" has been moved in to the general VP & FP areas, and those tiny subforums retired.

Taking a closer look at the forum layout has been a good idea I think. I'm seeing more layout changes that could be made to improve the user's browsing experience, while also cutting down on bloat. Thanks again for the suggestions Pete, and perhaps more changes to come. :salut:

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Free Bally! @ Free Bally!:
    options trading strategy? wtf?
  • JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Nice Shows!
    (AI prompt) describe the game Assasin's Creed 4 Black Flag in pirate talk
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @JonPurpleHaze, Ahoy matey! Gather 'round and hearken to the tale o' Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, a grand adventure on the high seas, where ye step into the boots o' Edward Kenway, a fearsome pirate and a cunning member o' the Assassin Brotherhood.

Set sail in the golden age o' piracy, amidst the Caribbean waters, where yer ship, the Jackdaw, be yer trusty vessel. Navigate through treacherous waters, plunder merchant ships, and bury yer blade in the hearts o' those who dare cross ye.

Ye'll be chartin' a course 'cross vast expanses, from the bustling ports o' Havana to the mysterious and untamed jungles o' uncharted isles. Engage in ship-to-ship battles with cannons blazin', board enemy galleons, and claim their booty for yer own.

But avast! There be more than just the life o' plunder and pillage. Ye are part
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
    (AI prompt) Describe a pirate's trip to the market to buy fish-heads and adult diapers
    • Haha
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, A pirate, known for his seafaring adventures and notorious escapades, found himself in a rather peculiar situation. After a particularly rough storm that had battered his ship and crew, he realized that they were running low on provisions and, quite embarrassingly, that he was in need of adult diapers due to an unfortunate bout of seasickness that had left him with a weakened constitution.

With a grumble and a scowl, the pirate docked his ship at the nearest port town, a bustling marketplace known for its variety of goods and fresh seafood. He tied his ship securely at the harbor, adjusted his tricorn hat, and made his way to the market with a swagger in his step, trying to maintain his fearsome reputation despite his current mission.

As he walked through the crowded streets, the pirate attracted curious glances from the townsfolk. His appearance was striking, with a weathered coat, a hook for a hand, and a parrot perched on his shoulder squawking,
    • Haha
    (AI prompt) Why did the pirate have an eye patch?
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, Pirates are often depicted with eye patches in popular culture, but the reasons for this vary. Here are a few possible explanations:

1. **Injury**: The most straightforward reason a pirate might wear an eye patch is that they lost an eye due to injury. Pirate battles, sword fights, and the general hazards of seafaring life could easily lead to eye injuries, necessitating an eye patch.

2. **Myth and Stereotype**: The image of a pirate with an eye patch has become a stereotype perpetuated by movies, books, and other forms of media. It's part of the romanticized pirate image that includes peg legs, hooks for hands, and parrots on shoulders.

3. **Preserving Night Vision**: A more interesting and practical theory suggests that pirates wore eye patches to keep one eye adapted to the dark. When moving between the bright deck and the dark below decks, a pirate could switch the patch from one eye to the other. The eye that was covered
    nope... it was because a seagul shit in his eye the day after he got the new hook fitted
    • Haha
    He couldn't scratch his eye, or tried and had to get the patch because of the hook...:pirat:🏴‍☠️🪝
    Reactions: Free Bally!
    ahh well, back to work tomorrow
    Looking at Tuesday for a real day off, ahhh
    Hope you find your keys!
    But working long every darned day has (Finally!) cleared up pain in my hip that has plagued me since April
    haha, naw the keys are long gone. HAVE to get a new pair of pants... Without A Hole In The Pocket!
    • Haha
    Get AC 4! you :pirat:
    Reactions: Free Bally!
    Got AC, weather-liars say i'll need an umbrella all weekend
    • Haha
    ohh oops
    you mean the pirate game!
    AC = Assasin's Creed...4...Black Flag.
    heh, they all look like pirate queens, instead of a gig on the beach, the Law Of The Sea says they have to fight until there's only one
    ahoy, have to go make some salad of fish chunks flavored to taste like crab, have a salty Friday ya scallawag!
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    Free Bally! has left the room.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Free Bally! has left the room.
      Back