SOLVED: How to get sharp edges on custom 3D model?

madmrmax

Weeeeeee
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones (Williams)
I have a custom model complete, but the edges I've marked as sharp in blender are not showing up as sharp in FP. I recall that there was some sort of custom ms3d smoothing groups -- is that something that is affecting the sharpness of my edges? Note I'm using "sphere mapping" with metal texture.

If something about "ms3d smoothing groups" does make a difference, does anyone have details on that?

1704313261562.png 1704314001018.png

UPDATE!!! I have now figured out a 2 step process to get it to work. I just wish I didn't have to do the two steps.

What works is after exporting the model from Blender, I open the model in Milkshape and then select "Face" menu -> "Smooth All" command.

Before:
1707604639375.png
after:
1707604649831.png

NOTE: You do have to save your file after this obviously, but just wanted to mention that.

Last edited:
What didn't work -- I did try placing the specific parts into unique smoothing groups but that didn't change how it rendered in FP. Perhaps I'm not fully understanding how smoothing groups are used?

Do I need to UV map a model to make "sphere mapping" work with sharp edges? It doesn't make sense, but I have no clue how sphere mapping option works.

@Paolo or @TerryRed do you do 3D models where you have sharp edges and work with smoothing groups?

Last edited:
It seems to me to understand that you want rounded corners and edges?

This is a simple "drop-target" that I always use in my tables, to round the corners, you have to have the model in different parts (see photo) and work on it in single part, and then join, to create this it takes you several hours, so imagine your model how long it takes.

I have to be honest, I have never set out to round the corners and edges, because it is a very demanding job at least for me, so I have always opted not to do them

Attachments

• Cattura0.JPG
    Cattura0.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It seems to me to understand that you want rounded corners and edges?

This is a simple "drop-target" that I always use in my tables, to round the corners, you have to have the model in different parts (see photo) and work on it in single part, and then join, to create this it takes you several hours, so imagine your model how long it takes.

I have to be honest, I have never set out to round the corners and edges, because it is a very demanding job at least for me, so I have always opted not to do them
Thanks Paolo!

I was trying more to get sharp corners :D but sharp rendering of sharp corners. Since I've been doing all my 3d modeling in Blender I've found that I can never models to correctly render with sharp corners. Even when I load my 3d models in Milkshape, they look wrong. Even though I've done the effort of marking sharp edges and creating MS3D smoothing groups all in Blender, they don't look correct in FP or Milkshape.

BUT I have now figured out a 2 step process to get it to work. I just wish I didn't have to do the two steps.

What works is after exporting the model from Blender, I open the model in Milkshape and then select "Face" menu -> "Smooth All" command.

Before:
1707604436456.png
after:
1707604453601.png

NOTE: You do have to save your file after this obviously, but just wanted to mention that.

Ahhh,Yes...."Smooth All"in some models and especially those found on the internet, you need to execute this command as well as "face to front" in milk there are many commands, which I still don't know all of them.
By the way I see you have an old version of milk....take this
If the current version you have and use is not, so to speak, registered you cannot import other types of 3d files such as "obj"

Ahhh,Yes...."Smooth All"in some models and especially those found on the internet, you need to execute this command as well as "face to front" in milk there are many commands, which I still don't know all of them.
By the way I see you have an old version of milk....take this
If the current version you have and use is not, so to speak, registered you cannot import other types of 3d files such as "obj"
Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: hellrzr2k1 has left the room.
      Back