Bally SS Solved Pool Sharks (Bally, 1990) Function

Solid State Machines

675BRANDY

Pinball Nudger
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Led Zeppelin Pro
Looking for some assistance. Due to a fix issue i may have changed the function of the CUE lanes at the top of the playing field. Just wondering how i change back so the pressing of either flipper changes the position of the lit lane.

You can download the manual from https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?name=pool+sharks&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

OK so what did you 'fix' when you fixed your game?

Pages 16 & 17 of the downloadable manual, pages 1-12 and 1-13 of the paper manual

If you set your game to 'hard' or 'extra hard' lane change will be turned off

If you go back to easy or medium, it will work again
If you just want to change that setting, go to 'adjustment 42'

Last edited:
Solution
You are on to it Pete. Took your advice and process and it now works a treat. Any clues where i can get replacement mouldings for the top of the playfield glass and the base of the back board glass. Im currnetly trying Marco. Cheers.

OK, are you in Australia?

Remember, it is good that you appreciate your game and you want to keep it running
You will learn a lot of the basics on how to maintain a pinball machine
But it is a Pool Sharks, do not go overboard with cleaning it up

Last edited:
OK, are you in Australia?

Remember, it is good that you appreciate your game and you want to keep it running
But it is a Pool Sharks, do not go overboard with cleaning it up
>>>Remember, it is good that you appreciate your game and you want to keep it running
But it is a Pool Sharks, do not go overboard with cleaning it up<<<<<<
umm, pete, PS is an EM.
EMs need a lot of maintenance because of all the solonoids and contacts like points in a car.
i remember the EMs at my arcade breaking down a lot.
they got played.

umm, pete, PS is an EM.
EMs need a lot of maintenance because of all the solonoids and contacts like points in a car.
Pool Sharks was made by Bally in 1990, and it is a SS (Solid State) table, not an EM (Electro-Mechanical) table.
The majority of EM's were made before 1978.
This table was made in 1990.

Pool Sharks was made by Bally in 1990, and it is a SS (Solid State) table, not an EM (Electro-Mechanical) table.
The majority of EM's were made before 1978.
This table was made in 1990.
sorry my bad.

>>>Remember, it is good that you appreciate your game and you want to keep it running
But it is a Pool Sharks, do not go overboard with cleaning it up<<<<<<
umm, pete, PS is an EM.
i remember the EMs at my arcade breaking down a lot.
they got played.
Just get the fuck out of my face
I own 37 pinball machines, from 1965 Heat wave to 2022 Godzilla
In the original post, 675BRANDY had an issue with 'lane changing" , no EM had lane changing
I was able to point to an actual site to download the user manual. I pointed out the page number to reference. what was relevant. and the fix
675BRANDY was able to use the menu on his game (which is not the easiest thing to navigate) and fix his problem
He then reported back (yay)
He then mentioned that he wanted to replace some parts, I noticed an Australian flag under his avatar, and shipping from the USA for a few parts is really expensive, so I posted three Aussie suppliers that I use myself. And I hope that 675BRANDY comes back and we can discus how he can clean up his game and get the most fun out of it

But Mr Know-It-All has to stick his nose in and tell me that I do not know the difference between an EM and a Williams sys11C machine

Sorry been off the air for a while. Appreciate all the help you have given me as the machine repair side of things is a new one for me. I have been able to source the correct trims just to neaten my machine. Currently having some issues with the drop targets. In particular the bank of 4 in the centre of the play field. They are not returning to upright position. Any suggestions on how to do a diagnostic or test.

My main suggestion for you is to pull every mechanism apart, clean it, replace the coil-sleeve, and put it back together
on page 2-24, part 5 'coil tubing'
(Drop targets, slingshots, flippers, the up-kickers), the machine is 35yo, it is probably full of gunk
Clean any plungers with isoproprial alcohol
Do this one mechanism at a time. Take plenty of photos, so you know how it goes together again

I am also going to suggest (if you have not already) new rubbers on the playfield
If you are going to use the suppliers I suggested above, the Titan Rubbers that Pinball Haus supplies are what I use (and he also carries coil sleeves)
I just use white, but on your game Red rubbers all-round might look different

If you choose to install LED bulbs in your game I will suggest a different supplier. I do not like the LEDs Pinball Haus stocks

All of the parts places will have a flipper repair kit that you might want to consider

Thanks Pete
Your advice is much appreciated. I have replaced the field rubbers.
Will now make a start on the mech units as you have suggested.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: ledorifort has left the room.
      Back