How do I disable the "plonk" of Windows Sticky Keys?

FireDragon76

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Spirit of 76
My computer randomly makes the "plonk" associated with Windows Sticky Keys, even though Sticky Keys has been disabled. I notice watching some pinball videos, other people seem to have this happen, as well. Is there any way to disable this sound in windows?

I think I remember this problem from when I first started using Win10. You have to disable it twice. Once as an option, then once as a shortcut.

In Win10/11 I believe you start with: Settings / Ease of Access / Keyboard

Actually, further down, there should also be options for "display warning message" and "play a sound," so you might want to turn those off, too.

I think I remember this problem from when I first started using Win10. You have to disable it twice. Once as an option, then once as a shortcut.

In Win10/11 I believe you start with: Settings / Ease of Access / Keyboard

Actually, further down, there should also be options for "display warning message" and "play a sound," so you might want to turn those off, too.

Even though it seems to be turned off, you need to also check the Keyboard Shortcut activator like Isaac explains above, which is usually activated by pressing Shift key 5 times, even if you have Sticky Keys unchecked.
So you will see a "Set up Sticky Keys" button. Click it and then scroll down to Keyboard Shortcut and uncheck it.
Press apply.

Another possibility is that the sound is used by some other background application, perhaps a notification?

Another possibility is that the sound is used by some other background application, perhaps a notification?
Are you seeing any message windows?
If not, perhaps you should open the VP Editor and click Preferences tab, then click Video Graphics options, and uncheck "Force exclusive Fullscreen mode".
Otherwise you will not see any error messages, or any other messages while in Exclusive Fullscreen mode.
Or is this non-VP related?

Are you seeing any message windows?
If not, perhaps you should open the VP Editor and click Preferences tab, then click Video Graphics options, and uncheck "Force exclusive Fullscreen mode".
Otherwise you will not see any error messages, or any other messages while in Exclusive Fullscreen mode.
Or is this non-VP related?

I think it's just notifications. It seems to have happened recently.

The Sticky Keys produces a higher pitched beep. This is more like a "plonk".

I think it's just notifications. It seems to have happened recently.

The Sticky Keys produces a higher pitched beep. This is more like a "plonk".
Assuming you tried all the advice above, then sounds like time for you to research this, then.

One thing I've learned from Google is that no matter how unique you think your issue is, someone's had the same problem before, and someone else has solved it ~99.5% of the time.

Mssr @FireDragon76--
Matey, do you have a problem with thanking other people for helping you upon your various issues?

Let me swiftly example the following, duderino--
As I observe it, the people attempting to solve your latest problems seem to mainly consist of 'pin-sim' programmers and 'best experts.' Now, in terms of good starts, no matter which way that leads, it's a good start, no?

End of the day?
Please get your head together, matey.
My personal estimate is that ~97% of us here enjoy answering, but as I observe it, very few people here like being taken for granted, as if we're here to automatically solve your issues.

Try again, matey.

If your keyboard has Cherry MX Blue keys, you won't be able to get rid of the sound:

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: hellrzr2k1 has left the room.
      Back