Grammarly

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Attack From Mars
I have developed a great deal of respect for Grammarly. Spell checking works well enough in Microsoft products but grammar checks are pitiful. I installed Grammarly mainly because I couldn't get the spell checker to work on a specific Word document last month. To my surprise, Grammarly's grammar checking is amazing. It not only provides very specific suggested changes instead of saying nebulous things like suggesting changing the tense of a verb. It also provides suggestions for grammar that are correct about 95% of the time. Of course, it performs spell-checking as well. Another nice feature is it works on forums like this one. I have run it on several of my tutorials lately directly on the web page and found many errors. There is a paid version but the free version works well enough for me:

I've been using LanguageTool as an add-on for Firefox for years and can thoroughly recommend it. Also, available for most browsers and word programs.

Attachments

• lang.png
    lang.png
    367.6 KB · Views: 4
I wonder how my english really is, considering it is not my native tongue. On the other hand, maybe I don't want to know :D

I wonder how my english really is, considering it is not my native tongue. On the other hand, maybe I don't want to know :D

I can understand you. I have added links to the Google translator on my tutorials. I have found that correct grammar makes Google translate better.

I know I can be understood as I've been in UK and Canada and US and never had a problem. But was I wording things correctly? I probably write better than I speak due to lack of practice talking to somebody not to mention grammar, even in portuguese was not my strongest point :D

I know I can be understood as I've been in UK and Canada and US and never had a problem. But was I wording things correctly? I probably write better than I speak due to lack of practice talking to somebody not to mention grammar, even in portuguese was not my strongest point :D

Your grammar is better than many Americans. But as an example of what it can do, Grammarly said your first sentence should be rewritten for clarity as follows:

I know I can be understood as I've been in the UK, Canada, and the US and never had a problem.

It also said to capitalize portuguese.

I'm not sure about using capital letters in nationality, but who am I to disagree if it says so? One of those "potato, potato" cases I guess :D

Regarding that sentence, it proves how useful it can be. Little things are easy to miss, especially when editing something which the second "and" proves. I edited to add "US" last and forgot to change it to a comma; typical me :)

I thought forums passed as an excuse to write poorly back in the day. Then social media came and ruined everything else. I still remember forum rules having a rule for proper spelling!

I installed the plugin. From now on, if there's a mistake, that's on Grammarly :D

I'm not sure about using capital letters in nationality, but who am I to disagree if it says so? One of those "potato, potato" cases I guess :D

Regarding that sentence, it proves how useful it can be. Little things are easy to miss, especially when editing something which the second "and" proves. I edited to add "US" last and forgot to change it to a comma; typical me :)

I thought forums passed as an excuse to write poorly back in the day. Then social media came and ruined everything else. I still remember forum rules having a rule for proper spelling!

I installed the plugin. From now on, if there's a mistake, that's on Grammarly :D

There are four English dialects you can select: American, British, Canadian, and Australian/New Zealand.

I've been using LanguageTool as an add-on for Firefox for years and can thoroughly recommend it. Also, available for most browsers and word programs.

I tried LanguageTool as an add-on for Chrome. It said the text I was checking was too long and I should get the paid version. I uninstalled it.

Some apps always try to sneak in ways to get paid.
Limit what you can do, or add a big fat logo in middle of pic, and say pay version does not have this logo. lol
Who wants to edit a pic and have someones logo in the middle of it?
Any apps that are limited or try things to get paid, go directly to trashbin.

I also like my apps to be portable.
Which means no need to install. Programs work right from the folder it comes in.
Here you can find over 450 portable apps divided into 10 categories.
Mostly all are freeware.
I don't mess with the pay stuff.
2 of the portable apps I use the most are Audacity (For sound editing), GIMP and Inkscape (For image editing).

too long and I should get the paid version
Stone the crows, strewth cobber never had that, then again I'm not a long-winded kind of bloke.

Some apps always try to sneak in ways to get paid.
Limit what you can do, or add a big fat logo in middle of pic, and say pay version does not have this logo. lol
Who wants to edit a pic and have someones logo in the middle of it?
Any apps that are limited or try things to get paid, go directly to trashbin.

I also like my apps to be portable.
Which means no need to install. Programs work right from the folder it comes in.
Here you can find over 450 portable apps divided into 10 categories.
Mostly all are freeware.
I don't mess with the pay stuff.
2 of the portable apps I use the most are Audacity (For sound editing), GIMP and Inkscape (For image editing).

Grammarly adds a little yellow plus sign that you can click on to let you know that the paid version has some additional changes it would suggest but it is easy to ignore.

I tried the Grammarly add on for Firefox and cannot do without registering an account, so swings and roundabouts...

I don't like to have to register either. So not for me.

I tried the Grammarly add on for Firefox and cannot do without registering an account, so swings and roundabouts...

I didn't register on Chrome. Grammarly has a desktop app that works the same for any web browser or word processor. No registration. I actually installed both because I run my web browser sandboxed and the desktop version won't work on it.

Grammarly did not request to register on firefox either.

My grammar is probably better than many Americans but I want to know if it isn't right.

My grammar is probably better than many Americans but I want to know if it isn't right.
Your grammar and your spelling are surely better than many americans because you (and me) are old. And my parents (born in 1907 and 1912) were really better than me.
When I worked, I received CV (or resume) from engineers and I have to sadly said than speeling and grammar are from another time...

Your grammar and your spelling are surely better than many americans because you (and me) are old. And my parents (born in 1907 and 1912) were really better than me.
When I worked, I received CV (or resume) from engineers and I have to sadly said than speeling and grammar are from another time...

True. It seems children in this country are not required to write very much anymore so they don't develop the skill. Also, I retired from working at a nuclear power plant and had to do a lot of writing. In fact, I wrote a newsletter that was distributed around the plant site that had to be correct. It is too bad I didn't know about Grammarly back then which would have made it easier.

Hey, I have received many ads for grammarly. Probably my grammar was bad.
But can you run it offline? No.
The simple question of "can you walk into a store, buy the software in a box somebody bothered more than 2 seconds to design, and walk out" I won't even raise because I know that 2012 was probably the last year you could buy "serious" software off the shelf.
A software somebody didn't go through the trouble of distributing in a brick-and-mortar store (and what the user can't take advantage of without an internet connection, after he/she PAID FOR IT) is simply trash... at best.

...So Future Pinball and Visual Pinball are trash because they are not distributed in a brick-and-mortar store?

The point of brick-and-mortar store is that I can pay cash and not present any ID for buying Photoshop. I do not need to do those things to aquire Visual Pinball or Future Pinball, do I?
Also, I do not need an active internet connection to play Visual Pinball or Future Pinball, do I? As opposed to our friends growing fruits at the desert island...

Yes, Grammarly does require an e-mail address to set it up but I used a temporary e-mail address to set it up so they don't have my identity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: hellrzr2k1 has left the room.
      Back