Tutorial Future Pinball Nudge/ Tilt Tutorial

Okay, I'm trying to completely disable nudge for a single game.

Looks like the relevant key-input is not handled the way I'm used to.
I.e., can't seem to find the nudge-related keycode lines I was expecting in script (ala VP).

So... should I go in to the XML and try zero-ing out certain values there?
Yes that is exactly how you do it zero xml nudge values
I did that in bumper pool too

Okay, just kind of work space for me right here.
Code:
'  <nudge impulse="240.0" impulseRandomness="25.0" warningLevel="280" leftAngle="60" upAngle="0" rightAngle="320"
'         vectorRandomness="5" visualDistance="3" waitPeriod="300" maxBallVelocity="500.0"></nudge>
At first I tried deleting the above section, but FP still seems to have a nudge system hard-coded, regardless.

So I'm guessing what these commands do are to... override it / adjust it? In that case, guess I'll zero out most of these and see what happens.

Can't believe I'm spending this much effort just to turn off nudging in a table. :s

EDIT: Dang. BAM just seems to ignore whatever values I change.

Last edited:
Code:
'  <nudge impulse="240.0" impulseRandomness="25.0" warningLevel="280" leftAngle="60" upAngle="0" rightAngle="320"
'         vectorRandomness="5" visualDistance="3" waitPeriod="300" maxBallVelocity="500.0"></nudge>
At first I tried deleting the above section, but FP still seems to have a nudge system hard-coded, regardless.

So I'm guessing what these commands do are to... override it / adjust it? In that case, guess I'll zero out most of these and see what happens.

Can't believe I'm spending this much effort just to turn off nudging in a table. :s

Set all the values to zero AND then save changes if the XML is in the script. The changes don't register unless you save. If you don't want the change to be permanent, save the table as a new file and delete it when done.

If interested, there is a field in the FP editor named "Warnings Before Tilt" that you can set to a max value of 10. That makes it so you get up to 10 warnings before the table tilts. It is in the bottom right pane of the FP editor if you do not click on any table objects.

Code:

Here are the settings I used to disable nudge in Bumper pool

Code:
 <nudge impulse="0" impulseRandomness="0" warningLevel="160" leftAngle="0" upAngle="0.0" rightAngle="0"
'         vectorRandomness="4" visualDistance="0" waitPeriod="300" maxBallVelocity="1000.0"></nudge>

FYI for tweaking nudge on normal pinball tables:

"Warning Level" is the same thing as Sensitivity. At the default Warning Level of 160 it takes 1-3 nudges to generate a "Warning". This number is variable I presume based on the "Impulse Randomness" setting above. Anyways, if you set the Warning level lower to around 100 then every nudge will generate a warning. And if you set the Warning level high enough then no nudges will generate a warning and it is impossible therefore to tilt the table.

Old thread... but...

I tried setting a table to have only two warnings, nudge impulse 220 and warning 260 for FizX), with the wait time to 60 and that seems fairly realistic. In a real machine, usually that is how long it takes for the plumb bob to return to rest.

In a real life machine, BTW, the machine tends to be much more sensitive to left and right tudges than up-and-down. That's due to how the plumb bob hangs, often from the side on a hook. There's much less friction in that setup in left-and-right movement, vs. front to back.

Nudge is much better to use with an analog system, such as in Farsight's Pinball Arcade. A cabinet or gamepad, for instance, where you can dial in the amount of nudge, just like in a real machine. The only problem is that lighter nudges often won't do very much. Very rarely saves an outlane, but sometimes good enough to save a ball heading for the center drain.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: Heard a different Aaron Neville song earlier, saw him in New Orleans...
      Reactions: xenonph
      Back