Customizing the "kick" of Kicker model?

madmrmax

Weeeeeee
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones (Williams)
I'm curious about the "gobble hole" kicker type. I can successfully model a new shape for it, but I notice that there must be an invisible attribute about the size of the "kick" portion which actually triggers the "drain" function. In the image below, the purple circle is something that FP is adding for this Kicker type. I can't figure out how to either 1) re-size it, or 2) move it 'cause it only shows up/is added as part of the fpm.
1704348364360.png
I can't see anything in the FPM attributes for kicker that would help either. Has anyone tried something like this?
1704348648663.png

The main reason I ask this question is cause I'd like to model the drop area in the back of and around the Theatre of Magic trunk, and I was looking to use a modeled gobble hole, but the "hit" event which causes the ball to be dropped only occurs at the circle. 1704353541555.png

Can't you just do an invisible kicker hole with a no collision model on top.
the original kicker t2 deep model has the mask that is the hole I think your talking about.
set your parameters just like the kicker hole model, I cant be certain, as I cant 3d model worth a shit

The largest kicker I have ever worked with is on "Attack From Mars". It is custom square shaped kicker used on a scoop for several kickers on the table. You might want to look at it. You might change the shape of it to match what you want. I have been working on an upgrade to FizX and had some difficulty one of these kickers that fires vertically into a scoop and the scoop turns a half circle and lands into a ramp. I couldn't get the kicker to perform with any degree of precision so I replaced it with a round on. I suspect a kicker as large as the one you want would probably kick with even less precision.

Well, there is a huge "kicker" used on Medieval Madness. It is called a "KickerMoat" in the script. It doesn't actually do any kicking though. It just destroys the ball when it falls into the moat.

George,\Sounds like that damn kicker and scoup in tales from the crypt

George,\Sounds like that damn kicker and scoup in tales from the crypt

I never worked on it but it is the same kicker. It's not a big surprise since they were both built by Francisco666.

the original kicker t2 deep model has the mask that is the hole I think your talking about.
set your parameters just like the kicker hole model, I cant be certain, as I cant 3d model worth a shit
Yeah I was looking into the route of doing a ornamental hole and a few invisible kicker holes. I haven't messed around with that yet to figure out what the "hit" event size is. What I had to do for the drain is to put two kicker holes to get the hit event large enough.
1704696033083.png

The third idea is to keep it a custom kicker and add a custom collision shape that covers it, and not rely on the hit event from the kicker.

The largest kicker I have ever worked with is on "Attack From Mars". It is custom square shaped kicker used on a scoop for several kickers on the table. You might want to look at it. You might change the shape of it to match what you want. I have been working on an upgrade to FizX and had some difficulty one of these kickers that fires vertically into a scoop and the scoop turns a half circle and lands into a ramp. I couldn't get the kicker to perform with any degree of precision so I replaced it with a round on. I suspect a kicker as large as the one you want would probably kick with even less precision.

Well, there is a huge "kicker" used on Medieval Madness. It is called a "KickerMoat" in the script. It doesn't actually do any kicking though. It just destroys the ball when it falls into the moat.
Thanks! I'll take a look at that definitely!

Hmm. My trials so far are showing me that without the mask hole, the "model" of the hole that sits below the playfield top won't be visible. That is why there is a mask hole. I want these holes to look 3D holes, so I need the mask hole at least.

Look at kicker t2,on the left you have your collision shapes settings (I COULD BE WRONG, NEVER MESSED WITH THIS)
Set your collision area as a box around your model. Being that you give it a id number your script will reference the hit by the generated id. I'm not sure the proper way to code this.
_Hit(#) maybe
I__ _Future Pinball Tools_Kicker-Hole-T2-Deep.fpm _ - FPM Editor for FP 1.9 - v1.0.2 1_10_2024...jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mark...I don't know if you've solved it, but I understand that you need a "big" kicker to insert into that photo you show, right?
Now, I have made a couple of "big" kickers (a long time ago) for a couple of my tables, but some considerations:

1)regardless of how big you make it, if the kicker only has the property of destroying... example "Drain.DestroyBall" and then you generate it in another kicker, you will have no problems.
2)you have to create the kicker mask how big you make it, the mask is the part you see in green
3)if the kicker has properties of ".SolenoidPulse or .CreateBall" then the fact is different, regardless of where you kick the ball, I mean in milkshape you put the center of the kicker in a different point from the center, in the big kicker you have to put a " something" that helps the ball come out of the kicker in the direction you want, like....invisible walls, or some model (which you then make invisible) that helps the ball, or otherwise you will have and see that the ball it starts bouncing inside the big kicker.
4)build the kicker in a way that helps the ball go out, but this is hard to explain, I can show you some ideas.

In my Batman data east, I have a big kicker (inside the museum) with all the properties, and I made it to work well.

so what do you need?

@madmrmax For me (and just for me), you don't need a kicker here.
Have just a ornemental hole and make an invisible surface (collidable and generate hit event) on it (named FakeHole).
Sub FakeHole_Hit
Dim Ball
Set Ball = xBAM.BallCloseTo(x,y) where x and y are the coordinates of the FakeHole
Ball.SetPosition X, Y, 0 where X, Y are the coordinates of a real kicker (under the apron for example)
Obsiously, you destroy the ball when your kicker (under apron) is hitted
It's all.

@madmrmax For me (and just for me), you don't need a kicker here.
Have just a ornemental hole and make an invisible surface (collidable and generate hit event) on it (named FakeHole).
Sub FakeHole_Hit
Dim Ball
Set Ball = xBAM.BallCloseTo(x,y) where x and y are the coordinates of the FakeHole
Ball.SetPosition X, Y, 0 where X, Y are the coordinates of a real kicker (under the apron for example)
Obsiously, you destroy the ball when your kicker (under apron) is hitted
It's all.

Yes, I've done similar for Silent Hill. I would reposition a ball to a hidden kicker under the apron to destroy it.

Totally understand and appreciate all the insights here! What I've liked about the gobble hole model is that FP has a custom animation of the ball "falling" into the hole. I totally will have to go the approach of an ornamental hole and use a trigger/hit event of a transparent surface around the ToM trunk and potentially the haunted basement/trap door.

My hope was that there could have been some way to take advantage of the FP animation of the ball when it goes into the hole. Or even recreate an animation of a ball falling into things like the ToM trunk. Perhaps I could attempt to replace the ball (once I destroy the ball) with a toy ball and animate aspects of the z-index to have it go through the playfield.

... Or even recreate an animation of a ball falling into things like the ToM trunk. Perhaps I could attempt to replace the ball (once I destroy the ball) with a toy ball and animate aspects of the z-index to have it go through the playfield.
For me, more easy, but with a timer and a set of Ball.SetPosition you can do the same.
With a toy, just one instruction Toy.MoveTo x, y, z, speed

For me, more easy, but with a timer and a set of Ball.SetPosition you can do the same.
With a toy, just one instruction Toy.MoveTo x, y, z, speed
Good idea! Sounds like Toy.MoveTo will be how I recreate the experience of the ball attaching to the ToM trunk on the side.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, I'm sorry, but I cannot provide verbatim lyrics from the song "Excuse Me" by Amy Arena as it is copyrighted material. However, I can offer a summary or analysis of the song if you would like. Let me know if you would like me to provide some other type of information.
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    (AI prompt) words to Amy Arena's "Excuse Me"
    • Wow
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @xenonph, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt
    But I couldn't help but notice you from across the room
    Your beauty shines like a star in the night
    And I just had to come over and say hello

Excuse me, but I couldn't resist
    Your smile is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day
    I hope you don't mind me saying
    But I think you're absolutely stunning in every way

I know this may sound a bit forward
    But I couldn't let this opportunity pass me by
    I just had to tell you how I feel
    And hope that maybe you'll give me a chance to make you mine

Excuse me, if I'm being too bold
    But I can't help but be drawn to you
    Your presence is like a breath of fresh air
    And I just had to let you know how much I care

So please forgive me if I'm being too forward
    But I couldn't let this moment slip away
    I
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    ah ha
    • Wow
    Reactions: Free Bally!
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    just word it diff

erently and they break the copyright bot
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    as i suspected
  • Free Bally! @ Free Bally!:
    (AI prompt) What would the lyrics be, if someone tried to make a parody of Amy Arena's song "Excuse Me"?
  • ChatGPT @ ChatGPT:
    @Free Bally!, Excuse me, can I cut in line?
    I really need my coffee, it's just a matter of time
    I know you've been waiting, but I'm in a rush
    Excuse me, can I cut in line?

Excuse me, can I take your seat?
    I see you're saving it for someone, but that someone is me
    I know it's not polite, but I really need to sit
    Excuse me, can I take your seat?

Excuse me, can I borrow your car?
    I promise I'll bring it back, I won't take it too far
    I know it's a big ask, but I really need a ride
    Excuse me, can I borrow your car?

Excuse me, can I have your fries?
    I know you ordered them, but I'm feeling kinda deprived
    I know it's not fair, but I really need a snack
    Excuse me, can I have your fries?
  • JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze:
    Wow, you can ask for words vs. lyrics?
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    lol
    heh, neither of those lyrics are correct
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    lol
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    great faker bot
    first try at this...
    Reactions: JonPurpleHaze
    Reactions: xenonph
    it worked!
  • xenonph @ xenonph:
    Carry on gentlemen, I need to reboot.

:salut:
    Nice chatting!
    Have a fine ev'ning!
    good chattin', have to get the early show posted, see ya around the mulberry bush
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    Free Bally! has left the room.
  • Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs:
    rftckeeper has left the room.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: rftckeeper has left the room.
      Back