Bumper pinmechsound

FireDragon76

Pinball Wizard
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Spirit of 76
What do "top", "middle", and "bottom" refer to? The position? Does it have anything to do with Fleep's sound files ( the tone, for instance?)

you need to give an example.... but the AIO Example table tells you exactly what pinmechsound commands are using:

Code:
' PinMechSound is used to output mechanical sounds to either FP, or to PUP for SSF, and trigger DOF for feedback (cabinets)

' Usage: PinMechSound sound, fp_item, volume, dID, dValue, dType

' sound =    mechanical / feedback sound
' fp_item = FP table item name
' volume =    between 0 to 1.0 (FP)
' dID =        DOF Exxx trigger or PuP Exxx trigger from PuP-Pack
' dValue =    DOF trigger action. 0 = off, 1 = on, 2 = pulse
' dType =    type of feedback / sound

' dType options are:

' "flipper"
' "slingshot"
' "bumper"
' "solenoid"
' "droptarget"
' "droptargetreset"
' "target"
' "knocker"
' "chime"
' "bell"
' "shaker"
' "gear"
' "fan"
' "dof"
' "ssf"
' "sound"
' "ball"
' ""

In the case of this command.... it refers to the name of the sound being used. There are 5 mech_Bumpers_Top_xx sounds.

PinMechSound ("mech_Bumpers_Top_"&Int(Rnd*5)+1), Bumper3, 1, 820, 2, "bumper"

you need to give an example.... but the AIO Example table tells you exactly what pinmechsound commands are using:

Code:
' PinMechSound is used to output mechanical sounds to either FP, or to PUP for SSF, and trigger DOF for feedback (cabinets)

' Usage: PinMechSound sound, fp_item, volume, dID, dValue, dType

' sound =    mechanical / feedback sound
' fp_item = FP table item name
' volume =    between 0 to 1.0 (FP)
' dID =        DOF Exxx trigger or PuP Exxx trigger from PuP-Pack
' dValue =    DOF trigger action. 0 = off, 1 = on, 2 = pulse
' dType =    type of feedback / sound

' dType options are:

' "flipper"
' "slingshot"
' "bumper"
' "solenoid"
' "droptarget"
' "droptargetreset"
' "target"
' "knocker"
' "chime"
' "bell"
' "shaker"
' "gear"
' "fan"
' "dof"
' "ssf"
' "sound"
' "ball"
' ""

In the case of this command.... it refers to the name of the sound being used. There are 5 mech_Bumpers_Top_xx sounds.

PinMechSound ("mech_Bumpers_Top_"&Int(Rnd*5)+1), Bumper3, 1, 820, 2, "bumper"

What makes the "top" set of sounds different from "Middle" and "bottom" in terms of their intended use? I listen to the sounds, and they are tonally differences. Is one set intended to be used at the bottom of the table, another at the top, etc.?

What makes "top" different from "Middle" and "bottom" in terms of their intended use? I listen to the sounds, and they are tonally different.

Just that. They are different sounds to be used for different positioned bumpers.

FLEEP records all his audio from actual pins.... and the bumpers were the actual Top, Middle, Bottom positioned bumper. He records multiple sounds for everything as they tend to be a little different each time.

Just that. They are different sounds to be used for different positioned bumpers.

FLEEP records all his audio from actual pins.... and the bumpers were the actual Top, Middle, Bottom positioned bumper. He records multiple sounds for everything as they tend to be a little different each time.

Do you usually make adjustments to the volume if the table has alot of music and you want the same relative balance between sound and music?

Yeah, I can tell Fleep's recordings are good quality. He's using a good microphone that captures alot of bass.

Do pinball machines tend to sound different from model to model, or are all the parts more or less the same in terms of sound (are bumpers from the 70's that different in sound from the 90's)?

I tend to work on and play older tables.

Do you usually make adjustments to the volume if the table has alot of music and you want the same relative balance between sound and music?

In a cabinet.... using PUP SSF (surround sound feedback) is separate from all FP sounds and music... so I usually just reduce the FP sounds and Music in game with HOME/END PAGEUP/PAGEDOWN as needed.

When playing (not in a cabinet) with just FP sounds for mechanical sounds (no PUP SSF), I rarely have to adjust anything, except for ball rolling which I made adjustable in the AIO for both FP and PUP SSF. I aldo added options for speed based volume for ball hit sounds, or consistant volume for all of it as an option.

Yeah, I can tell Fleep's recordings are good quality. He's using a good microphone that captures alot of bass.

Do pinball machines tend to sound different from model to model, or are all the parts more or less the same in terms of sound (are bumpers from the 70's that different in sound from the 90's)?

I tend to work on and play older tables.
Pop bumpers can operate differently
My Sure Shot (Gottlieb EM) if either of the two top bumpers are hit, they both activate
Some mid-80 Bally's and Data-East pop bumpers were mounted on a plastic base, so they might be a little quieter

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
      JonPurpleHaze @ JonPurpleHaze: https://pinballnirvana.com/chat_tunes/06-Dirty%20Blvd.mp3 :whistle:
      Reactions: xenonph
      Back