How to Move a DMD on the Backbox Using Script Code or Make It Disappear? [Solved]

GeorgeH

Flippered Out
Site Supporters
Solutions
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Attack From Mars
Is it possible to move a DMD on a backbox by code in the script? I am not interested in moving a HUD DMD, just the backbox DMD. I know the "moveto" BAM script exists, but I am not sure it has been used on a backbox. How would I code it?

Put the DMD on a mini playfield and move it.

Search for JPR as usual. Launch the table, then right and left flip for moving the DMD.

Attachments

• GH.fpt
    224.5 KB · Views: 4
Thanks JP! I suppose the "moveto" BAM script doesn't work?

I only know MoveTo for toy and mini playfield.

Something to note.

Anything within in a miniplayfield normally will not display on the Backbox window / screen if using 2nd screen for Backbox option. Only what is shown on the Translite editor can be displayed there.

Desktop and VR modes however can show everything just fine.

Something to note.

Anything within in a miniplayfield normally will not display on the Backbox window / screen if using 2nd screen for Backbox option. Only what is shown on the Translite editor can be displayed there.

Desktop and VR modes however can show everything just fine.

My idea was mainly to produce a DMD for the cabinet guys to use since they don't use a HUD. Since DMDs on the backbox can't be made to disappear, I thought I would just move it to a hidden location and move it back when it needs to be displayed. ...So it looks like miniplayfield won't work for me.

Is there no other solution? I remember a long time ago, I moved a flasher to a different location on the playfield using some BAM script but I don't remember how I did it.

Any ideas anyone? ...Or maybe @Wecoc?

Last edited:
Maybe you can use a hologram and use it as a DMD (see FP manual).

Can't DMDExt help?

You can use the DMD with the HUD disabled and you can even toggle HUD on/off on the press of a key.

Can't DMDExt help?

You can use the DMD with the HUD disabled and you can even toggle HUD on/off on the press of a key.

That is probably true but I plan to use the DMD as supplemental to a primary DMD. From what I have seen, most cabinets are only able to display one DMD on DMDExt.

That might be a possibility since I can make a hologram disappear. I found the following paragraph in the manual. It doesn't say how to set it up anywhere. I am guessing that you just substitute the name of the hologram where the name of the DMD would be in the coding. I will try it.

"Future Pinball also allows for a Dot Matrix Display to also be projected over the hologram allowing for the score and text to be displayed independently to image animation. For more information on how the DMD displays work refer to the Dot Matrix Display section of this manual (link) as this part of the manual will only be talking about the interface changes."

Last edited:

After looking at this a little further, I found a hologram is not an option for the translite (it is grayed out). It only shows up as an option for the playfield.

That is probably true but I plan to use the DMD as supplemental to a primary DMD. From what I have seen, most cabinets are only able to display one DMD on DMDExt.
It is actually an imposition that the DMD to be used to be the very first HUDDmd to be created.

I decided to experiment with using a hologram as a DMD even though it doesn't look like it will work for what I need. I figured out it does work. I just deleted a DMD and added a hologram with the same name as the DMD. There is a box to check on the hologram object for "Render as DMD". You have to set the X dot count/Y dot count to the same values as the height and width of the DMD but you can make the height/width of the hologram larger. I tried it on one table but I got an error message that it didn't like the "Flush Animation" code that was added to the DMD so animation can't be used. The DMD I use for the FizX Tweaker has no animation and it works as you see in the screenshot below. The background is transparent.

Too bad a hologram can't be added to the translite. JP's idea would work if I could.

1711492458213.png

Last edited:
From FP manual:
Please Note that the Hologram/DMD does not support
background images within the DMD portion of the display. Hence the [IL], [AS], [NA], [SF], [EF] and [RF]
embedded commands are not supported.​

Search for JPR as usual. Launch the table, then right and left flip for moving the DMD.

I am curious. Suppose you set the DMD to a visible location on the translite and then use the miniplayfield to move the DMD to below the backwall panel on the translite where it is hidden inside the cabinet. If you move the DMD back to the original location, does it count as a move or does it just restore the DMD back to the original state?

I am curious because if it restores the DMD back to the original state, this method would still work for the purpose I discussed earlier.

Like that?

Attachments

• GH2.fpt
Like that?

That is pretty close. I didn't think you would be able to see the DMD through the playfield which I don't want. What I actually had in mind was to delete DispDmd1 off the playfield and install a DMD on the translite and then move it from there to below the backwall panel. It would probably still be transparent below the playfield. The only place that I noticed where it is not transparent is below the lockdown bar.

It is probably not not worth spending any more time on it because cabinet users would probably not be able to see the DMD anyway like Terry said.

Like that?

I don't see anyone posting any other ideas here. I really need for this to work on a cabinet and it looks like this might have a 50% change of working. If it is not too much trouble, go ahead and delete DispDmd1 off the playfield and install a DMD on the translite. Using the miniplayfield, move it from there to below the lockdown bar (the horizontal bar on the top front of the cabinet above the coin door).

When the DMD is located below the lockdown bar, it would be best to just turn off the miniplayfield so it is back on the translite. If that is not possible, just move it back to the exact same spot on the translite.

I have a friend that can test it on a cabinet when you are done.

Just do it. You have the code. You have just to calculate the x, y and z coordinates for the DMD on the translite.

I looked at the code. I don't understand it. It would be good to use "Miniplayfield.currentPosition" from the following change to move the DMD back to the translite from under the lock down plate:

Last edited:
I don't see anyone posting any other ideas here

As I remember, when together with Gimli, we worked on "AirHockey" the DMD with miniplayfild function, there was some problem of "move to of bam" on the backbox, at that time, so I don't know if it is possible now.....Having said this, I understand that you would like to move or disappear a second DMD that you use for your "Tweaker" in the backbox, right? well if you don't have any other solutions, there might be one:

Build a 3d model based on your backbox, leave windows for the primary dmd and for your dmd, in your dmd create a model as large as the window and place it in front, with bam (as everyone knows, I hope) you can make it invisible a model via the texture, and with the "SetTexture" function via script commands when making the model appear yes or no making the dmd visible or not.
The biggest difficulty in coordinating the current texture of the backbox to the model and window of your "DMDTweaker" , but it is solvable, a matter of time.

One thing I don't understand, if it's for those who use the cabinet, why put your "DMDTweaker" in the backbox? you could insert it into the Apron, this way it is easier to make it appear and disappear via an invisible texture.

As I remember, when together with Gimli, we worked on "AirHockey" the DMD with miniplayfild function, there was some problem of "move to of bam" on the backbox, at that time, so I don't know if it is possible now.....Having said this, I understand that you would like to move or disappear a second DMD that you use for your "Tweaker" in the backbox, right? well if you don't have any other solutions, there might be one:

Build a 3d model based on your backbox, leave windows for the primary dmd and for your dmd, in your dmd create a model as large as the window and place it in front, with bam (as everyone knows, I hope) you can make it invisible a model via the texture, and with the "SetTexture" function via script commands when making the model appear yes or no making the dmd visible or not.
The biggest difficulty in coordinating the current texture of the backbox to the model and window of your "DMDTweaker" , but it is solvable, a matter of time.

One thing I don't understand, if it's for those who use the cabinet, why put your "DMDTweaker" in the backbox? you could insert it into the Apron, this way it is easier to make it appear and disappear via an invisible texture.

Paolo,

Thanks for your reply. It looks like your idea would require unique models for each table and I am not very good with creating models. I just don't think it would work for me. I like the idea of using the miniplayfield if JP can create it.

Like that?

Attachments

• GH3.fpt
Like that?

Is it not possible to add DispDmd1 to the backbox and move it from there? Paolo says there might be a problem doing that but I don't know how it works. Then according to the version of BAM listed above, Miniplayfield.currentPosition should return the current position after it has been moved which should be on the backbox.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: qinnuendo has left the room.
      Back