SOLVED: Converting VPX custom model dimensions to FP

madmrmax

Weeeeeee
Site Supporters
Reaction score
Favorite Pinball Machine
Indiana Jones (Williams)
There is a custom model used in a VPX game that I'm trying to use as the basis to get closer IRL object dimensions (since I lack the IRL pinball). I thought I had figured out that by exporting the model in VPX and then loading the model in Blender, it was a simple 50% scale in XYZ to get to correct millimeter dimensions that FP uses.

I was so close, but it looks like 50% reduction in size isn't actually accurate (I know cause now as I'm trying to use my model in FP my dimensions are off.)

Does anyone know what the correct dimension changes are to adjust a model between VPX to FP?

EDIT: I've found that reducing VPX models by 54% produces the correct scale for using in millimeters in FP. Care does have to be taken to verify that first within VPX the author hasn't performed any other scaling of the model. If there is a scale applied in VPX then you'll need to adjust things as well based upon that.

thanks,
mark

Last edited:
I did some trial and error and currently if I scale things down to 54% (.54) it seems to be the best metrics to match millimeters for use in FP. There is also the need to rotate the model, etc, but I was more trying to get an idea of the correct scale.

If this can help you

Attachments

• Dimensions.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 11
@xenonph
pin that file (or this thread) somewhere before it is lost, please.

Thanks all. I guess the problem is when I import a mesh (obj file) into Blender of a 3D model that is used in VPX, I don't know the scale and measurements of that model. Blender doesn't know about VPX's unit scale. If someone is building a 3D model for use in VPX, do they build to a scale of standard\imperial dimensions (e.g. inches) or do they size to Metric (e.g. millimeters). Anyone know?

You might ask under the VP first aid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
You can interact with the ChatGPT Bot in any Chat Room and there is a dedicated room. The command is /ai followed by a space and then your ? or inquiry.
ie: /ai What is a EM Pinball Machine?
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      Chat Bot Mibs Chat Bot Mibs: Killabot has left the room.
      Back