Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > Real Pinball > General Pinball

General Pinball General Pinball Topics

Old 07-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Starfleet Member

Credits: 81,238.73
Phoenixx has a spectacular aura aboutPhoenixx has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4paws View Post
I guess I just don't get it. Pausing the folding app doesn't seem to clock down the card.
I can only think of two reasons: Either the card can detect the current performance requirements only when the app that caused the upclocking is actually executing a task, (meaning it wont go into a slower mode unless it could verify that the running app will indeed not need full accelleration), or the whole energy management thing has generally problems under XP. Your cards BIOS might of course be playing a roll too, as that is what holds the ramping values and the clock-states.

Quote:
Closing the folding app does, but it's not quick like you say, even with the new drivers.
Also might be your cards BIOS or some problem with XP not supporting the management as well as Vista does. I assure you im not lying to you about the times, as you can see by the time-entries in the above posted GPU-Z log under Vista it took less than a second to upclock from Low to Full, then 14 seconds from Full down to Medium, and less than a second to downclock from Medium to Low as soon as i quitted BSPlayer.

Quote:
Where is the "adaptive" setting?
It has been added as a new option under '3D Settings'. You can set it both under 'Global' and individiually for each app.

Quote:
BTW - I needed to reboot after the install.
Probably because you are still on XP. On my Vista machine the graphics subsystem was shutdown for a sec, (exactly like an X Server restart under Linux), then it came back online and everything was fine. It will probably be the same under Win7.