Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Soap Box

The Soap Box A place to debate life and such, the former Junkyard has been merged into this category.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of light

Aw, that's no good Nic. You have to search for "the real double duchess" + lyrics like I did.
Then you'll come up with nothing...

...duuuuhhh
Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Credits: 118,080.96
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Awesome and here's me thinking that 'nothing' was the rhetorical answer to the original thread title, should of known really, more the fool me apparently music can do it, all a bit to esoteric for a cynic that I know I am.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 258,819.49
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Aw, that's no good Nic. You have to search for "the real double duchess" + lyrics like I did.
Then you'll come up with nothing...

...duuuuhhh
duh... yes, i see now.

this is why i aim for flexible searches, adding or removing quotes, expanding or shrinking the object phrase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOz View Post
Awesome and here's me thinking that 'nothing' was the rhetorical answer to the original thread title, should of known really, more the fool me apparently music can do it, all a bit to esoteric for a cynic that I know I am.
what are you cynical about?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator

StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Quote:
what are you cynical about
You ask this, well it's actually something I conscientiously fight, honestly I was going to post that you answered your first post, like when it happened, still what would a cynic know.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

one real big thing i got out of this journey was an answer to the question- "how can you be a cynic about the world as we know it and still be a positive person?"

it's possible IMO.

and what's more, being cynical about the world may be the most honest and illuminating way of viewing the world. because i'd rather build a foundation on accurate cynicism than on conclusions which can't stand up to rational thought. still, that's just me.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Ok let's get surreal then.....come on accurate cynicism? rational thought? ....can I throw a WTF in here?

Eh maybe that's just me too and all....but really nicism getting back to the thread topic and forgive me for that. Still how do you think it will go?

Myself, I'd say we will be able to thrive OK in our lifetimes in any of our 1st world 'privileged' societies. That said I very much doubt things will be getting better for you, me or the man on the street, there is just so much that is fundamentally wrong.

My biggest bug bear is this sustained growth economy concept on a planet of finite resources, it just defies logic, it ain't going to work, FFS it just does not make sense!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
Ok let's get surreal then.....come on accurate cynicism? rational thought? ....can I throw a WTF in here?
cynical, because the conclusion is negative in nature. accurate, because it's rooted in reality. just as you've done in your observation about the economy and resources.

you know darn well that you're right and civilisation is wrong on that issue, but how many people actually want to talk about it? hence, another reason for cynicism- not because you're wrong, but because human society wants nothing to do with such an outlook.

Quote:
Eh maybe that's just me too and all....but really nicism getting back to the thread topic and forgive me for that. Still how do you think it will go?
i believe that from anywhere between a couple years and several decades from now, a collapse of civilisation will begin due to various possible factors (mentioned several times in earlier posts). when that happens, life is going to get very different for us. standards of living are going to drop way down, and eventually we will be tooth and nail with each other over the last of the resources, such as food.

one of the sci-fi books that i think does a real good job of sketching a likely scenerio out is "make room, make room" by harry harrison. that's the book that later got turned into the movie "soylent green".

some may jump to the conclusion that i got my outlook from SF books- unfortunately that is not true. rather, they helped articulate possible outcomes based on severe problems here and now that are in plain sight.

so all of this goes into the "accurate cynical" outlook, which nevertheless does not mean that one can't be positive and happy with their lives IMO.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

mmm, complete collapse of society, I wish I was a few years younger then, still...I do have my survival kit packed and ready, tent, bed roll, basic survival stuff, also done more then a few bush trips, well a man has to grow his weed some place.

Honestly, I decided long ago I'm pretty much powerless to effect any meaningful change to society, so I'm just along for the ride.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 213,925.38
LeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really nice

Not to worry, Steve. When society collapses in Australia, you'll get to join a gang, have a really cool car and a mohawk. Good luck with the fuel wars.
I don't think there's a single problem in the world that can't be solved by embracing Elvis Costello's "Get Happy" as your favorite album.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
mmm, complete collapse of society, I wish I was a few years younger then, still...I do have my survival kit packed and ready, tent, bed roll, basic survival stuff, also done more then a few bush trips, well a man has to grow his weed some place.

Honestly, I decided long ago I'm pretty much powerless to effect any meaningful change to society, so I'm just along for the ride.
what kinds of plants and animals would you be eating?

and got plans for a solar still?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of light

In the old days I'd pick myself up by spinning Asylum Choir II by Leon Russell and Marc Beno.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Johnny Cash - Hurt - YouTube
Old 08-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Now for another slant on the old world order...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_%28group%29

Patti Smith - People Have the Power - YouTube Patti Smith - People Have the Power - YouTube
The Following User Says Thank You to StevOz For This Useful Post:
sleepy (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Pinball Wizard

Patti's good.

Sometimes I like these two:

REO Speedwagon- Keep Pushin' (Studio Version) - YouTube
Roll with the Changes (with the lyrics) - YouTube
Old 08-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Pinball Wizard

And this (allright, so call me a Wuz...)

Supertramp - It's Raining Again - YouTube
Old 08-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Pinball Wizard

Damn, I hit the 'Back' button.
It gave me a rerun.

Last edited by sleepy; 08-23-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Pinball Porcupine

research the last few years has shown that prolonged depression shrinks various areas of the brain (such as the hippocampus and prolateral pre-frontal cortex) and may re-wire many other areas in ways which tend to permanently increase anxiety and neurosis. scary shit.

i cannot get back on to mood meds quickly enough. going off of them the past 1.5 years has been a failure in almost every way. anyway, this monday is my assessment interview at a new facility i'm trying out. wish me luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTuyg...IAL MUSIC VIDE

Starfucker - Mona Vegas - YouTube

in addition to being pick-me-ups songs for me, the guy's voice is very similar to my natural voice, so i could definitely see myself singing those songs one day.

bonus shot: last friday i showed valamir cleaver the willie nelson song "family bible" on guitar over skype. that was good fun. he finally started his classes.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Pinball Wizard

Is valamir studying guitar?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Pinball Porcupine

no, he's studying the reproducive tendencies of overanxious pachyderms in botswana.

no, he's learning how to cram a length of wood down his throat. (and please don't interrupt him!)

no, he took juggling to a strange new extreme that even -i- don't know what to do with.

this has been your host, al jaffee. good night, all!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:51 AM

LeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post
research the last few years has shown that prolonged depression shrinks various areas of the brain (such as the hippocampus and prolateral pre-frontal cortex) and may re-wire many other areas in ways which tend to permanently increase anxiety and neurosis. scary shit.

i cannot get back on to mood meds quickly enough. going off of them the past 1.5 years has been a failure in almost every way. anyway, this monday is my assessment interview at a new facility i'm trying out. wish me luck.
Oh, I wish you the best of luck... you'll need it! Right before I started on my fourth round of those bastards, I read about 30 pages of this book:

Been too scared to pick it up since then. And don't let 'em give you Zoloft, because it doesn't fucking work!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Pinball Wizard

It doesn't work, but do they inflict side effects, pain, etc.?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:54 AM

Not really... the first week or so really makes the head feel like it's on a magical mystery tour, but, after that, outside of some basic anxiousness... nothing.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Administrator

The human condition, something we all are part of, though I'm somewhat confused, jaded or otherwise amused on how any drug can or should ease that of which we are? They really just appease me.

Ooops forgot the track.

Always Look On The Bright Side of Life - Life Of Brian (Monty Python) Lyrics - YouTube
Old 08-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Pinball Wizard

Is it a case of too much obligation to our dear society, and with no stability?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Pinball Porcupine

let me go on the record as saying that i utterly despise this internet site. i just spent an hour typing out one long-ass reply, trying to post it, and immediately being told that "you are not logged in anymore," then trying to duplicate it again and being given some other kind of error message. back-shifting in FF to discover my words didn't work either, so it's maybe a FF problem as well. whatever. see you when i see you (hah).

EDIT: no, i don't really despise the site. just angry.

Last edited by Ike Savage; 09-02-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post
let me go on the record as saying that i utterly despise this internet site. i just spent an hour typing out one long-ass reply, trying to post it, and immediately being told that "you are not logged in anymore," then trying to duplicate it again and being given some other kind of error message. back-shifting in FF to discover my words didn't work either, so it's maybe a FF problem as well. whatever. see you when i see you (hah).
Wait! Come back! What meds did they put you on? Did they magically make you feel better and, if so, what are they? I need answers! Because I feel like this...
Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Pinball Wizard

And me, I am not on meds and I REALLY GET PISSED WHEN MY BROWSER DOES THAT TO ME!
If I am typing loong, I TRY to REMEMBER to write it in Notepad and COPY/PASTE the writing so that THAT SHIZZ doesn't happen, oh no, but SOMETIMES I AM SO EAGER TO WRITE THAT I THEN FORGET TO DO THAT...

Hey Ike, take it easy and do drop in.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 40,496.67
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

Hey, Ike;

I often and easily spend over an hour typing, whether my post is long-assed or not, due to a certain 'anality' about proof-reading, spell-checking (due to errant keystrokes rather than any word-construction cluelessness) and 'smilie' selection. I don't recall any "you are no longer logged in" hiccups on this site (I guess those memory pills don't work---wait a minute! When did I start taking memory pills?! What? I didn't? Okay; never mind.), but I get them a lot over at VPF.O if I don't show some sign of life every few minutes. Usually it's when I go to Preview Post and get "This menu has been disabled" which is explained by "You no longer have permission to.....(whatever it says next)".

My first reaction was to hit 'Back' and check my login on the Home page, but doing so usually lost me all of what I had typed---but they provided a nice info-box about not hitting the 'Back' button. The preferred technique is to highlight and Copy (or right-click and Select All, then copy to clipboard---kinda does what sleepy does with Notepad, right?) so you can replenish your Reply box if it's empty when you come back from re-logging in.

What I've been doing when I anticipate a long-assed episode is open two browser searches and if my login evaporates I just minimize the page with my reply on it and log in again on the other Home page if need be. When I return to the Reply box, it's still populated(?). Of course, if it's really full, I might highlight and copy anyway just in case.....

Whaddaya know? A long-assed post after all! It must be time for my 'smilie' selection;
How's that?

Last edited by GSGregg; 08-30-2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: not really editing; sorry about the sentence with the two 'buts' in it. Too lazy to fix it.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Pinball Wizard

Yeah, I hate depression. And everybody else's opinions.

Unless I like their opinions.

But not on a headache.

Yeah.

No.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Pinball Porcupine

i don't despise the site- pardon me for saying that. typing on a tablet can be a real PITA, and before that one post i hadn't lost a post-attempt in many years. kind of a perfect shit storm from my end, and a pretty silly reason to lose one's composure. oh well.

thx for the replies.