Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 269,668.64
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

i sort of feel like an astronaut newly returned to earth by my last completed movie-- "love 'em and leave 'em" (1926). yes... a silent movie, by jing! (i watched it on venerable youtube)

so after watching this and the restored classic "greed," and the odd zasu pitts and chaplin silents, i'm about ready to say that... silents are actually pretty good! i mean, even if the glimpse in to past culture doesn't tickle you, i find the humor and drama quite perky, innocent... charming. in other words, despite the limits of the situation, there was obvious talent and skill involved... people who understood human psychology and story-telling at a fundamental level.

my biggest problem with love 'em and leave 'em is that the original song list or what-have-you was apparently lost. so the backing music was a rather odd synthesized effort... bound to piss off even "tangerine dream" fans, i imagine.

apart from that... it was an amusing little film featuring romance, love lost, betrayal, petty vice, sibling rivalry... the whole king kong.

good stuff. (and a rather fascinating glimpse in to the industry, if i do say so)
Old 04-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 105,478.30
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice
Lightbulb Get'R Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Would "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" make a good t.v. series?
What a great idea! So many possibilities...The regular loonies cast plus the comings and goings of various psychotics. An administration and staff borderline crazier than the patients. For variety have different branches in the craziest towns across the nation. So many psychoses to exploit. Plenty all ready nutty low grade stars to choose from. That might make me watch prime time broadcast TV for the first time in years...

When Lit
Old 04-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Faralos

Credits: 124,767.30
faralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura about

I am partial to Harold LLoyd and Buster Keaton myself
Old 04-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Faralos

faralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coil_Smoke View Post
What a great idea! So many possibilities...The regular loonies cast plus the comings and goings of various psychotics. An administration and staff borderline crazier than the patients. For variety have different branches in the craziest towns across the nation. So many psychoses to exploit. Plenty all ready nutty low grade stars to choose from. That might make me watch prime time broadcast TV for the first time in years...
starring the great(?) Charlie Sheen!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 105,478.30
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice

Run With It........

When Lit
Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Y'know, they're almost doing it right now with the "Hannibal" show.
It's probably the craziest, goriest show in broadcast history, but the psychosis is definitely there, though mostly fixed to the specific Doctor Lector. It's on NBC, and I remember CBS ran the movie "Hannibal" with quite a few edits, but the infamous "Krendler Climax" ran intact except for a few words that referred to someone by "their lower female anatomy".

Doc Lector, he gets a pass.

The Cuckoo show would probably be the closest thing to a M*A*S*H* while being unique on its own terms.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Faralos

gotta love America here we get censoring for swear words or frontal nudity
but gore is okay even beheadings on regular tv shows!
why is it that we can tolerate gore but balk at a boob shot?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Credits: 122,907.74
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by faralos View Post
gotta love America here we get censoring for swear words or frontal nudity
but gore is okay even beheadings on regular tv shows!
why is it that we can tolerate gore but balk at a boob shot?
Gun and war culture finely balanced with in Gods trust perhaps?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

I found out tonight, or forgot from a looong time ago, that the classic t.v. show, "The Prisoner" had an episode, "Living in Harmony", that was never seen on U.S. television until the next decade, after Viet Nam of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 05:52 PM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 222,589.79
LeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOz View Post
Gun and war culture finely balanced with in Gods trust perhaps?
Well, you've listed two things that make our country great. Don't forget that our video game releases aren't government-censored by somebody's grandmother like they are in "civilised" countries like Australia!

Last edited by LeeVanCleef; 04-13-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

Quote:
I found out tonight, or forgot from a looong time ago, that the classic t.v. show, "The Prisoner" had an episode, "Living in Harmony", that was never seen on U.S. television until the next decade, after Viet Nam of course....
wow, nifty! i never did see that episode. btw, the WP article somewhat disagrees with the vid in terms of why the ep was originally pulled. either way, pretty interesting.

oh, and just a random link i found today-- an artist guy designed posters for each ep of star trek TOS and published them as an artbook. each one has a unique style, mostly vintage in inspiration. five are free to view online:
http://www.space.com/22835-star-trek...uan-ortiz.html

Last edited by Ike Savage; 04-13-2014 at 07:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 02:46 AM
Pinball Wizard

This is the video that Ruby posted.
The video is not showing up, so I took a whack at it.
PN scripts might be suspect here.

For some reason, clicking on The Big Player Arrow that appears in the player's video window wants to open a browser window, so I would click on the small Player Play arrow on the player's toolbar to view it.

Last edited by sleepy; 04-14-2014 at 02:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 PM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 222,589.79
LeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really nice

Quote:
This is the video that Ruby posted.
The video is not showing up, so I took a whack at it.
PN scripts might be suspect here.

For some reason, clicking on The Big Player Arrow that appears in the player's video window wants to open a browser window, so I would click on the small Player Play arrow on the player's toolbar to view it.
Thanks, sleepy! Yeah, what the hell? I tried to CnP the url, yet PN insisted on "helpfully" embedding it for me! And I still don't have my North Korean flag! Steve needs to cut down on the philosophizing and get back to work!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Pinball Wizard

Have no fear Ruby. Half the time, the CnP doesn't work for me either.
Not without endless re-edits.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 PM
appropriate at this time

Credits: 72,509.57
Shockman will become famous soon enoughShockman will become famous soon enough

It plays in place for me. Google Chrome.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:31 PM
Pinball Porcupine

maybe steve had a bad experience with north korea, once?

well, here's a short 1957 movie from whirlpool about the kitchen of the future. many delicious moments here, but try to watch until you see the rectangular droid from "a new hope" slowlllly glide out to deliver the kitchenware and china.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vui2CSEwOxQ

"with just a wave of the hand, all things are possible."
Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Administrator

StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Maybe Steve doesn't know how to do it and doesn't want to go messing around with the database via FTP in fear of breaking something.

As for resent movies I've watched...

Sparks, turned out to be quite an enjoyable watch with a lot more depth to it then I thought it would have.

Ride Along, a rather enjoyable romp, fun movie, better then most of this ilk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevOz For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (04-17-2014), LeeVanCleef (04-18-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Just watched this one..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2320924/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

War.of.the.Worlds.Goliath.2012

I really enjoyed it, great animation, perhaps a little simplictic as far as the story or plot is concerned, though well worth a watch if you like animated epics.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
Maybe Steve doesn't know how to do it and doesn't want to go messing around with the database via FTP in fear of breaking something.
william, william-- it was really... nothing.

--moz and the smiths
Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 10,359.60
Shooby Doo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just watched this one..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2320924/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

War.of.the.Worlds.Goliath.2012

I really enjoyed it, great animation, perhaps a little simplictic as far as the story or plot is concerned, though well worth a watch if you like animated epics.
I came across that the other day, but haven't watched it yet. It looks similar to the "Seven Samurai" anime they did a few years back, in that it was a retelling of the original story but in a steam-punk universe. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482424/ I'm gonna have to check it out. I'm not a huge anime fan, but I do like some movies like Akira, Metropolis, Tekkonkinkreet... things along that line. But I have a hard time getting through series. I liked Ghost in the Shell the movie, but couldn't do the series.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestion Shooby Doo, found arr copy and series queued.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Pinball Porcupine

since we've basely devolved unto TV in this topic, is anyone else excited about FARGO? like, from the coen brothers!

two episodes are online... out of ten total, i think.
http://watchseries.lt/serie/Fargo_%282014%29

in another forum, we are debating the artistic license involved in the characters talking the way they do. is it the accent from the coen's childhood? is it a canadian newfoundland accent? the debate rages!

dr watson from sherlock / young bilbo from LoTR is one of the main characters.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:13 AM
Administrator

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2668134/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

An epic of epic proportions, must be seen at full HD, though still it fails with the sterile acting and over reliance on CG, still rather good could have been so much more..

This is the version to grab..

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=546383
Old 05-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Administrator

The Lego Movie...yes it is awesome, so cliché I know and pretty damn funny too!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1490017/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Nine thumbs up!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Pinball Porcupine

whoa... nine thumbs up! oO

lego movie looks hilarious from trailers and stuff. godzilla also sounds like a surprisingly decent film... shot from the man in the street's POV so to speak.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Pinball Wizard

Not that this matters, but the AMC cable channel site is offering a handful of full episodes. The free offerings are labeled as "No Log in Required". Everything else requires a subscription to a cable tv provider.

There are a couple of "The Walking Dead" episodes available here:

http://www.amctv.com/full-episodes/m...31001/waterloo
Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Just viewed...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1253863/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

I give it 270 of 300...
Old 06-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Faralos

speaking of spearchucker...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2b21yAeEpQ

Last edited by faralos; 06-24-2014 at 06:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to faralos For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (06-21-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 AM
Faralos

time to build a lego table I see
Old 06-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Administrator

oblique correction..mmm seems somehow apt...

http://myanimelist.net/anime/19429/Akuma_no_Riddle

Just brutal, if the end game does not beat all, you are not worthy.
The Following User Says Thank You to StevOz For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (06-21-2014)