Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Credits: 138,460.64
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice
Default Oo er..too many pinball uploads!

Yeah that silenced ya!
Old 08-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Former Operator

Credits: 60,243.88
Itchigo will become famous soon enoughItchigo will become famous soon enough

You can never have too many pinball uploads. I think I have 679 working 2 screen tables, and another 30 to be added. The only people who have more (Randr) have duplicates, like updates, multiple authors, Physicsmod versions, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Visual Pinball.zip (11.8 KB, 128 views)

FREEDOM!!
Join the Rogue (A different kind of pinball site)
http://roguepinball.com/index.php
Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 304,627.40
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the uploads, fellas. i certainly do like looking at the screenies!

i think the last time i played with the editor it was vp7, so what would you say are the most significant changes since vp6 - vp7?

(i mean stuff unrelated to the cabinet-based advances, since i don't have the motivation to get in to all that)
Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 250,820.80
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

What's all these feckin' pinball posts doing on my movie/music/TV message board? I'd sure like to try some of those out but, man, it's been a couple years since I even set up VP. Even then, it was too hard to get it to play with Windows 7. Or something. I think my interest waned once I got Pinball Arcade working through Steam on my desktop. The physics are much better than VP9 and I don't have to worry about having to learn what the hell B2B means. Is that a type of table or did I just make up a boy band for the year 2002?
One thing Pinball Arcade doesn't have is a decent table view. Not like that roller-skatin' table Steve posted a picture of. Look at that... you can see everything on the table, rather than have four views that are almost right. A woik of art!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (08-25-2015), Ike Savage (08-25-2015), StevOz (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 02:56 AM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 117,692.93
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice

I don't even know what you are talkin about... But I Like It, I LIKE IT

When Lit
Old 08-25-2015, 04:39 AM
Administrator

StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Well Ike actually the conversion from DX7 to DX9 usage with VP9.9x I would say was the biggest and best evolution, with VP tables here running at over 4 times the speed (frames per second), on the same hardware.

Also the flasher object is rather useful without the VP author really needing anything but basic free graphics programs to implement those to good effect.

There is the ability to use real 3D models, though to create and use those in VP requires more advanced 3D editing programs and skills, so not so useful to all, though they do look great. For instance the black ramp in the Road Kings desktop mod I uploaded is a 3D model, there is no way I could create that 3D model.

Actually all the releases I've uploaded of late are just conversions from cabinet tables that were made without any desktop version available. I felt it only proper that desktop versions should be made and made available, thus I hunted down the permissions required to release these desktop versions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevOz For This Useful Post:
GSGregg (08-27-2015), Ike Savage (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 05:47 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 250,820.80
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

Oh... see-through ramps... finally! Transparent ramps look a thousand times better using VP9. And isn't the table view more independent than it was in VP 7/8? I never tried diddling with it on the (very likely) off-chance I would permanently screwed something up.

EDIT: None of that matters anyway. During a brief visit to the Empire, I noticed that VP10 is ready to hatch out of its egg any day now! Man, I didn't recognize a single name on the posts I breezed through. The VP world just eats 'em up and spits 'em out... usually over to here, if we're lucky! Yeah! We're like the Senior Tour of the VP world. It does appear that JP Salas is working on VP10... that does my heart good to know that he's still out there putting his stamp on VP's future. And Shocky apparently still hasn't been given a spanking! I think he's set a record!

Last edited by LeeVanCleef; 08-25-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Yes see-through...well close enough..

Elvira_and_the_Party_Monsters_NM_DT 1.0.1 - Pinball Nirvana Forums Elvira_and_the_Party_Monsters_NM_DT 1.0.1 - Pinball Nirvana Forums
Old 08-25-2015, 07:54 AM
Administrator

My prediction VP 10 will be beta for several months to come, maybe with a forced premature XMAS release.

Of note is the most talented developer, who basically converted VP9.21 to VP 9.9 to use DX9 over DX7 was alienated with the premature release of VP10 beta without consultation and has not been involved since as far as I know.

All said and done this is not meant as any kind of slight against the free time and work the current dev team has put in. It's just I feel it could perhaps have been handled a bit better, then again it's already more then the human condition could expect.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Former Operator

Credits: 60,243.88
Itchigo will become famous soon enoughItchigo will become famous soon enough

I can't really weigh in on all the changes, as I usually just "compensate" for what I can't do. Other than the DX9 port, I haven't really kept track. Player1 said in chat: "everything in vp is a workaround. When you understand that, you will have mastered vp". For the record, I came in about when vp9 came out.

I haven't messed with vp10 much, other than so see what a table looks like. It looks nice, but it looks more "fake" to me. Like future pinball. Besides, like I said before, I have almost 700 tables set up in vp9. I'm not going to redo my entire setup.

A shame about that developer (Muskete?). I see his name periodically at the "dark side" (VPU).

FREEDOM!!
Join the Rogue (A different kind of pinball site)
http://roguepinball.com/index.php