Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 47,948.77
mrschultz will become famous soon enoughmrschultz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
At best, the supermarket bakery is baking some Italian bread which can smell like heaven (depending on the frozen dough they use).
Bread, arrgggg, there's not a single commercial bread or roll now that isn't loaded with soy protein or soy lecithin. If I eat either I get an allergic reaction in my joints and sinuses, the headaches are unbearable. Only cure is to take a lot of benadryl and pass out overnight.

For some reason about 4 years ago they started putting that stuff in just about everything. Forced me to get a bread machine. I can't even eat my favorite Philly soft pretzels any more (that started when Philly banned trans-fats). At least Trader Joe's puts the allergen info in bold, don't need to bring a magnifier to read the labels. Still have to read closer because they only put the word soy in bold, if it's just the oil I'm OK...
Old 07-19-2009, 06:22 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Yep. The phony proteins that have nothing to do with bread and the use of Ammonium Carbonate (a yeast nutrient!) that only destroys the natural sweetness when used in Italian bread and they also use it in cookies which gives them the flavor of sneakers. Why do they do that when it enhances nothing of the traditional quality?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Do you have trouble with MSG? I can't verify for sure whether it's factual, but I read on the Net that Protein Isolates or Hydrolyzed Proteins like soy protein contain MSG. The bakers ignore it since yeast by default produces small amounts of MSG.

The article I read it from was for a page on MSG allergies and they were claiming the manufacturers use the protein isolates in products that do not list MSG in the ingredients, but the MSG is allegedly still there by way of the protein additives.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Faralos

Credits: 125,047.30
faralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura about

I can't have anything that has a decent amount of MSG in it, especially certain chinese restaurants. I am highly allergic to it and get massive migraines from ingesting it. Same thing goes for Nutrisweet. And many things now come with MSg in it, so I must always read labels carefully, that's why I like trader Joes, they label everything with bold easy to read labels that state whether or not that item has soy, MSG, or any other additives. I am also starting to develop a resistance of sorts to caramel coloring found in most sodas, having quit caffeine decades age, the caramel never used to bother me. Guess I'm just getting old...
Old 07-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 47,948.77
mrschultz will become famous soon enoughmrschultz will become famous soon enough

MSG doesn't seem to bother me, I've narrowed it down to only a few plant proteins. Soy protein, and another one in grapes.

Soy lecithin is a cheap emulsifier, so even expensive chocolates have switched to it from guar gum in the last few years. Really stinks, the only chocolate I can eat now is baking chocolate.

I think it's the emulsifying part that is the reason they use it in everything now. Also I guess it has replaced most types of fat, to give the texture of fat.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 23,913.38
lupo51ca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They oughtta kill that fish!
In Los Angeles a lot of Carnicerias, a Mexican meat market or meat counter at a supermarket, clean up the drippings and display cases with chlorine bleach. When that bleach hits the stale meat runoff, man it stinks.
They do the same thing here with the chlorine bleach. That's when they actually clean. We've had a few supermarkets get closed here lately because of not keeping their stores clean and having mice droppings all over the stores shelves and even on some of the food. So right now I'm careful about which stores or even locations of chains I shop at.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 AM
Pinball Wizard

I just wish they would hold the bleach until after closing hours.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Inserted Coin

Quote:
I just wish they would hold the bleach until after closing hours.

Or perhaps find an alternative.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:15 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 351,529.82
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

speaking of bleach,
the worst thing is being sprayed via bounce-back by bleach (or more usually, windex) when the arcade is coming up on closing time, you're playing pinball, the attendant is making the rounds and has just unthinkingly sprayed the machine right next to you.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 60,908.49
elton will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo51ca View Post
We've had a few supermarkets get closed here lately because of not keeping their stores clean and having mice droppings all over the stores shelves and even on some of the food. So right now I'm careful about which stores or even locations of chains I shop at.
That is disgusting. If I ever witnessed that, I'd never use the store again.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Pinball Wizard

Speaking of supermarkets, when on holiday in the states we tend to use Albertsons and Safeway for the majority of foodstuffs. Although Albertsons were few and far between in 2008. Shame really.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Pinball Wizard

Albertson's? Were you visiting California by any chance?

The story of Albertsons is that they used to be few and far between. There was a chain of Lucky's Supermarkets with many more stores and in the 1990's Albertsons bought Lucky's and the Sav-On Drugs store chain and combined them, but business fell so Albertsons closed a lot of them.

There used to be a jingle, "It's Joe Albertsons' supermarket, but the 'la-dee-la-dee-da' is mine". Okay, so forget the "la-dee-la-dee-da" part because I cannot remember the words.

In California Safeway usually caries the Von's name, otherwise it's Safeway, same as before, and various Safeway brands such as Lucerne brand cheeses are available at Von's.
In the 1960's Safeway and Von's were separate stores, then Von's bought the other about 20 years ago.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Pinball Wizard

Yeah, first experienced in California; Los Angeles in 2001 and 2003. Phoenix, Durango, Grand Junction, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas in 2005 and just about everywhere in between. At that time it appeared to be one of the largest grocers.

Then in 2008 we didn't find many; most of their addresses (that I'd recorded some time before) were occupied by other supermarkets. Did shop in Sheridan WY, Idaho Falls ID and Salt Lake City UH.

Should have mentioned Von's - been there plenty of times. Some of the smaller chains like City Market in Moab and Grand Junction offer some good foods too.

Many towns/cities along the way had K-Mart and CVS supermarkets - these were okay for packaged goods eg cereals, wrapped bread etc but fresh stuff and the deli did not compare with the others.

Shame about Albertsons though. Apart from the great choice of foods the staff were also well trained and particularly helpful to clearly confused tourists.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Inserted Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas.b View Post
speaking of bleach,
the worst thing is being sprayed via bounce-back by bleach (or more usually, windex) when the arcade is coming up on closing time, you're playing pinball, the attendant is making the rounds and has just unthinkingly sprayed the machine right next to you.
I've had that happen. Not too often as most arcades I used to play at didn't do much cleaning. I can however tell you that I never did that when my family owned an arcade. I always cleaned before opening or after closing. Never when there were customers. It' so much easier to clean with no one around.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:01 AM
Inserted Coin

Quote:
Albertson's? Were you visiting California by any chance?

The story of Albertsons is that they used to be few and far between. There was a chain of Lucky's Supermarkets with many more stores and in the 1990's Albertsons bought Lucky's and the Sav-On Drugs store chain and combined them, but business fell so Albertsons closed a lot of them.

There used to be a jingle, "It's Joe Albertsons' supermarket, but the 'la-dee-la-dee-da' is mine". Okay, so forget the "la-dee-la-dee-da" part because I cannot remember the words.

In California Safeway usually caries the Von's name, otherwise it's Safeway, same as before, and various Safeway brands such as Lucerne brand cheeses are available at Von's.
In the 1960's Safeway and Von's were separate stores, then Von's bought the other about 20 years ago.

Do you find Safeway expensive down there? Up here they are probably the second most expensive store to shop at.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:25 AM
Pinball Wizard

I don't know because the Von's chain bought the Safeway stores in the Southern California area, but Safeway owns 30% of Von's. Von's is price competitive in this area but they have to be in order to compete with stores like Ralph's/Food 4 Less and others. Both Ralph's and Food 4 Less are owned by the same rival company and are number one around here.

According to wikipedia, Safeway in Western Canada is 100% owned by the parent company, so that might be the reason, that and past money problems which is why the company sold off many of its stores and at the same time closed Liquor Barn which was Safeway's chain of department store-sized liquor stores. It was the K-Mart or Wal-Mart or Toys-R-Us of liquor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeway..._and_sell-offs
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Pinball Wizard

Yeah, Sageways were not the cheapest but when on holiday we didn't want to waste time finding slightly cheaper alternatives. It was good products and their ranges that attracted us. Knowing we could get everything under one roof was good.

Don't think I've ever noticed a Ralphs or Food 4 less anywhere on our travels. Shall keep an eye out next time we come across.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Faralos

Credits: 125,047.30
faralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura about

heck i remember being elbow deep in the cleaning of as pin (contacts, buttons etc) underneath (having the field flipped up at the time) and people will slide right in to play the machine next to me then give me dirty looks cause I'm 'in their way'. So I make sure to bump their pin 'accidently' apologizing of course but letting them know I AM trying to clean this one so...
Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 AM
Inserted Coin

Quote:
I don't know because the Von's chain bought the Safeway stores in the Southern California area, but Safeway owns 30% of Von's. Von's is price competitive in this area but they have to be in order to compete with stores like Ralph's/Food 4 Less and others. Both Ralph's and Food 4 Less are owned by the same rival company and are number one around here.

According to wikipedia, Safeway in Western Canada is 100% owned by the parent company, so that might be the reason, that and past money problems which is why the company sold off many of its stores and at the same time closed Liquor Barn which was Safeway's chain of department store-sized liquor stores. It was the K-Mart or Wal-Mart or Toys-R-Us of liquor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeway..._and_sell-offs

Funny, it doesn't mention that Safeway owned the Canadian Food 4 less stores in the late 80's early 90's. They replaced the smaller "Food Barn" stores that they also owned. In fact in the early 90's Safeway went to "Food 4 less Pricing" at all their stores to try and win back customers that were being led away to the Real Canadian Superstore. A discount supermarket that is more of a warehouse atmosphere and where you have to bag your own groceries and now usually check yourself out as well. About the mid 90's all Food 4 less stores were rebranded as "Safeway." They now are opening "Safeway Liquor" at almost all of their stores and "Safeway Gas" at many of them as well. They have the most stores in town as there are three Safeway's within a 15 minute walk of my house.