Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 02-09-2016, 12:32 PM
EM Enthusiast

Credits: 181,616.06
JonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of light
Default Happy Mardi Gras!

I's Fat Tuesday already, Happy Mardi Gras!

I'll be listening to Nawlins music all day, I love that place and it's music, here is a radio station that I listen to quite often:
http://www.wwoz.org

Here's a webcam link from sleepy years ago that shows the parades and streetcars if it's not Mardi Gras:
http://www.nola.com/paradecam/

Sweet Home New Orleans - Dr. John:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonPurpleHaze For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (02-09-2016), Ike Savage (03-04-2017)
Old 02-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 106,559.23
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice
Talking >>>" Everyone Loves A Parade " <<<

That street cam is lotsa entertainment. Glad I tuned in 12PM EST 2/9/2016. More proof
>>>" Everyone Loves A Parade <<<

When Lit
The Following User Says Thank You to Coil_Smoke For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 01:45 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

I've been eating Muffuletta Bread from http://www.nolacajun.com/
It is very similar to Shepherd's Bread. My Sister sent it to me. She is living in Louisiana.
But she didn't send me any beads!

She sent me some Red Beans & Rice!

Are there any parades at night anymore?

Last edited by sleepy; 02-09-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:16 PM
EM Enthusiast

JonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, loved the parade but missed the Zulu Indians.

WWOZ also has a live cam but the parade is over:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/18976229

Broadcast live streaming video on Ustream
Love muffuletta's, had them in New Orleans!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

My Sister says there are Po' Boys in Orleans. Is that the same as the Muffuletta's or is that a different sandwich? In California I've had Poor Boys that were like broiled spam ham with cheese on a roll. And my Sister sent me the bread after I talked about missing Miller's Hoagies. We used to love hoagies when we lived in PA.

But I figured out how to get a sandwich that is very close to a hoagie. You can do this at any Subway.

Order the Black Forrest Ham on white Italian. The default roll.

Choose Provolone for the cheese, and Make Sure they don't stiff you with their bland default Jack. You Want the Provolone-regular amount.

Add sliced tomato-regular amount.

Add red onions-regular amount. That'll do, but hoagies use slim sliced Bermudas.

Add salt and pepper-regular amount.

Add Oregano-regular amount. Hoagies use thyme or a blend of both.

Add a double-shot of olive oil blend over everything else. The wrapper should be some wet from it.

Options: Regular lettuce and green bell pepper. Won't hurt.

EDIT: Don't grill it. It''s a cold cut hoagie.

EDIT#2: You don't want their cold cut combo, You don't want mayonnaise, mustard or vinegar.
And, unless you are experimenting with A Turkey Club, you don't want their "turkey bologna".
Cheap. The calories for the 12 inch hoagie are ~790 calories. The 6 inch would be ~390 calories.

Last edited by sleepy; 02-09-2016 at 03:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (02-09-2016)
Old 03-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Pinball Player

Credits: 914.60
Sleepy's Sister will become famous soon enoughSleepy's Sister will become famous soon enough

We had a good friend, who is a radio DJ in Sri Lanka, visiting last week. Took her to a Mardi Gras parade, my first parade in the 16 years that I've lived in the New Orleans area, and I thought of this thread, so I decided to post a few pictures. Sleepy would have loved it. I wondered if JonPurpleHaze was streaming it live. We chose the Endymion parade, because it is the largest with 30+ floats, and watched on the "family end" of the parade. This year's marshals were Flo-rida, KC and the Sunshine Band, and Kiss. We saw Flo-rida on one of the floats, but heard that Kiss only chose to ride the last couple of blocks into the Superdome, where they were set to perform at the after party. I personally feel that Disco was one of the darkest eras in music history, so I did not care to see KC and the Sunshine Band. We were about 6 blocks from the scene where the drunk truck driver ran into the crowd, injuring 28 people, and had no idea any of that was going on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5236.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	7098

Name:	IMG_5226.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	7099

Name:	IMG_5230.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	5.38 MB
ID:	7100

Name:	IMG_5242.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	7101

Name:	IMG_5238.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	4.91 MB
ID:	7102

Name:	IMG_5244.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	7103

Last edited by Sleepy's Sister; 03-04-2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out why a couple of attached photos were horizontal rather than vertical. :(
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sleepy's Sister For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (03-04-2017), JonPurpleHaze (03-08-2017), LeeVanCleef (03-09-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 272,444.86
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

Quote:
We were about 6 blocks from the scene where the drunk truck driver ran into the crowd, injuring 28 people, and had no idea any of that was going on.
holy hell, i can't help wonder if that's a common mishap with all that (presumed) booze flowing and excitement going on.

anyway, the parade looks very ordered and sober. not quite how i picture typical mardi gras (i've never been), but i guess this is only the "family" portion of the event.

back in philly we had the annual mummer's day in the freezing cold of the new year. best for either watching on TV or marching with a couple of flasks in pocket. there's never been a good third alternative AFAIK. :P

some pics:
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P...oZimqm5tjl.jpg
http://naplesherald.com/wp-content/u...-Parade_NH.jpg
http://www.uwishunu.com/wp-content/u...nder-680uw.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (03-08-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Pinball Player

Sleepy's Sister will become famous soon enoughSleepy's Sister will become famous soon enough

I used to watch the Mummer's Parade on TV when I was a kid. The Mummer's Parade pictures that you posted look a lot like the Mardi Gras parades.

People outside of Louisiana often don't realize that Mardi Gras celebrations last for nearly two months. This year they started on January 6 and ended on February 28 with 70 parades throughout this time in the New Orleans area alone. It is one big party that lasts for weeks, before Ash Wednesday, and Lent starts.

Most of the Mardi Gras parades start in "Uptown" and end in the French Quarter. The French Quarter end of the parades is definitely the wild part of the parades, although even on the less wild, more family oriented, end of the parades things can happen. About a half hour before the Endymion parade was over, my husband turned to catch some beads and noticed a topless young lady standing on a porch behind us. She appeared to be quite drunk.

The Endymion parade was on Saturday. We took our friend to the French Quarter on Monday (Lundi Gras) the day before Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras), and things were pretty crazy there at 8 am.

The truck driver who ran into the crowd during the Endymion parade had over 3 times the limit for alcohol in his system. We weren't sure how he even got close to the parade in his truck, since the parade route is blocked off to vehicles two hours before starting time.

Last edited by Sleepy's Sister; 03-04-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:36 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 272,444.86
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

two whole months! wow, maybe they should just extend it all year and try to become the new las vegas.

so jon, if you're reading-- did you celebrate fat tuesday this year?

btw, one thing i realised the other day about the expression "coup de grāce" (mercy blow), is that people in the states always seem to pronounce it "coup de gras," meaning "blow of fat." i think maybe i'd indeed prefer that to the dreaded "blow of muscle."
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
Sleepy's Sister (03-04-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 06:27 PM
EM Enthusiast

Oh No, I unfortunately missed Fat Tuesday this year!

Thanks for the images, it looks like the parade was fun. I usually have a sister reminding me of Mardi Gras time but I'm going to start using a calendar as a backup plan. I also used to watch the Mummer's Parades as a child on tv, I think they were my fathers favorite parades.

I went to the Jazz Fest in New Orleans once, I was there for a week and it was billed as the best party in the world, the music was outstanding and didn't disappoint. It was a very long party and concerts everywhere and in clubs, not just at the site. Jazz Fest party goers referred to Mardi Gras parties as rookies.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonPurpleHaze For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Pinball Player

They do like to party down here.