Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 12-28-2014, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Credits: 146,978.76
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice
Default My installed android apps.

Not to many extras, I use my wifi 2013 nexus7 as a mobile media consumption device mostly ad free and all free.

List made using List My Apps

I think all these are good and why not share, what do you use?

You should give List My Apps, a go, works a treat, just Copy/Share as BBCode list > SHARE > Drive then open your google drive and c'n'p the text here.

Also that UE Mini Boom is the best bit of kit I ever added, got it on special here for $70 AU, well worth it, reviews here..

http://www.engadget.com/products/logitech/ue/mini-boom/

http://www.engadget.com/products/log...obile/boombox/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevOz For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (12-28-2014), pinballdaveh (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Administrator

StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Oh and here's my collection of wallpapers.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...lU&usp=sharing
Old 12-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 117,692.93
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice

Damn "Rock Bottom" That 'Zen Pinball' looks very cool... What do you think of it?

When Lit
Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 327,102.85
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

it would be cool if it sorted by cat, even just apps vs games. ah well, always something. i'll check it out later on tablet.

that mini boom sounds pretty good. 1st go-round i bought a bluetooth speaker at that same price and it sounded dreadful. exchanged it for the bose soundlink and never looked back. still, i paid 3x the price for this one, so it would be cool if ppl can get a speaker that fills the room for a better price.

i bought a couple of the latest zen PB games (rome and an aussie undersea one) and they were pretty mediocre in terms of theme, music, etc. zen seems to be great at designing the mechanics and special fx of tables, but where they really seem to shine is when someone has already developed the theme for them, as in their star wars tables. i have the RoTJ one and it's superb.

btw there is an end of year sale in the android store right now. i bought a 500mb (!) strategy game called "skulls of the shogun" for 50cents or something. i guess it runs until first of the year, so ppl have three days or so.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Ah the Zen pinball is a reasonable fantasy pinball, the physics seem good, though the nexus 7 inch screen really is a bit on the small side for this game.

As you can see I also have a chromecast, which for $40 is also well worth it and I use it mainly to stream all me arrrrr movies from my PC to the big screen TV via wifi. It is limited to a maximum of 720i, though I don't have or bother with higher resolution stuff generally. This is done using the chrome browser on the PC with the videostream plugin and using the videostream app on the nexus 7 to use it as a remote control. I can also mirror the nexus 7 display on the TV as well.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Also I have a mate with that bose unit and side by side the bose unit does sound about 5% to 10% better as far as clarity and loudness goes, though you would need to have them side by side to notice the difference. The ue mini boom does not distort or reduce clarity even at full volume, though you do need to watch where you place it as it can and does move around when placed on a smooth hard surface when playing at full volume.

That said this unit is far more robust and portable and I could get a second unit and pair them in stereo mode and then they would blow the bose unit away, whilst still being more portable. I can just throw this unit in my backpack without any fear of damage to it.

I haven't tried it's bigger brother the UE boom, though from my online reading I'd say that unit would at least match if not better the bose unit whilst also being able to be paired with a second unit if you wanted a real crowd pleasing set up.

http://www.engadget.com/products/logitech/ue/boom/
Old 12-29-2014, 03:16 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 268,947.79
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

I would agree with Nic. Most of my summer was spent with RotJ. The problem with Zen is that they're a one-trick pony. Enough with the fucking spelling already! That's all you do in Zen games. It's like if a spelling bee were held at the local carnival and you can only win if you spell your word correctly and knock down all the milk bottles with a baseball.
You really need to add the TuneIn radio app... one of the best that's out there, mostly because they make room for a lot of crazy sumbitches running radio stations out of their basements.

You know, the more I thought about it... I would go so far to say that Jedi is Zen's best pinball outing so far... the one that comes closest to being akin to a real-world table. But it also contains what is so deeply wrong with Zen Pinball. The Death Star multiball requires you to hit a ramp enough times to spell out the words "Death Star". That's right... 9 times. Then the orbiter in the middle pops up and you have to hit it enough times to spin it around to lock one of four (yeah, four) balls. So that's about four really good spins to light four locks... another, say, 16 hits you need to make. And then you have to worry about the orbiter slinking away every time you set off another multiball or Episode stage, which happens about every third shot. Playing a pinball table for 20 minutes should be an achievement, not a goal inherent in its design. Too many of the Zen tables become too tedious too quickly.

Last edited by LeeVanCleef; 12-29-2014 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Added rant about Zen Pinball
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

@bill,
lol i hadn't really thought of the spelling aspect before, but makes sense. my particular grief with jedi is that some of the modes are like an angry nun wielding a steel ruler. you get little time to make a series of shots, and many are pretty difficult. one in particular i remember involves shooting the ball just as its falling off the flipper. the margin of error is ridiculously small, and changing the POV didn't help me much.

@steve,
oh no, are we entering the great bluetooth speaker wars?! listen mate-- this thing is arguably the most impressive gadget i've ever bought. it's right out of james bond, the size of a medium cooking book, six speakers (with stereo, top end and especially rich bass) built in to a unit that could easily power a small dance party. people who come over don't even -see- the thing perched on the back of my couch... they just notice that i have a nice speaker system stashed... somewhere. inside the couch, maybe? if your unit really does sound even 90 - 95% as good as this thing does when you put it through its paces, well... that company is bound for riches, i think.

i also love that it lasts eight hours or so on its rechargeable batteries and easily fits in my satchel briefcase. the one you have looks too blocky for that.

i will give two caveats-- one, if you don't set this thing against the wall, or maybe just a wood floor, you're only going to get a portion of the rich bass. so next time you get to test your buddy's soundlink, move it to such a position, play some music with a broad range of top, middle, low-end and crank that sucker way up.

two-- the bass is slightly overpowered, so i have to equalise that for certain things, like radio shows. the altec lansing costs about the same but has a little cleaner sound, tho not as booming.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 PM

LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

Bose makes some of the shittiest products on the planet. As long as you remember that going in, you'll absolutely love your purchase. Oh, and their deal with the NFL means they love sponsoring a sport that does nothing but brain-damage poor, uneducated youth who actually think their dreams are coming true as it happens to them. Here's a peek inside the scourge of corporation help desks everywhere. If you think I'm an asshole on this site...

Hi, Bose!
Well, look at this… my second letter of complaint to a company in less than a year! That’s a very sad first for me. But I’m betting it’s not the first time you’ve received two letters of complaint from one person in a year. Or maybe it is. Maybe you’ve never had a customer who wrote you a letter of complaint and then was dumb enough to go out and buy another Bose product. Therein lies my failure.
I wrote you earlier this year to complain about the crappy kite-string-thin cords attached to your headphones. Unfortunately, I used humor in addressing my concerns to you and, apparently, this tact didn’t register, since I didn’t even receive an automated response, let alone a personal one. But don’t worry Bose… no humor this time because, buddy, I ain’t laughing anymore.
About a month and a half ago, I bought a pair of Bose over-the-ear Soundtrues (CWCGJ). I couldn’t help it. Of all the headphones in that price range I tried at Best Buy, these had the best sound. Mind you, I wasn’t pleased by the fact I was purchasing another set of your headphones with the paper-thin string as the cord, but I just resigned myself to untwisting it from whatever it got tangled in every 5 minutes or so.
I got it home and plugged it into my extension cord, since headphones and cooking go so well together. That’s when I discovered that a whole channel was lost. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, moved the headphone plug around and finally got it to work. And then it happened again about 10 minutes later. And then it happened again the next day. And the next.
About that time, I decided it was best to contact your customer service department. After I explained my problem here’s the response I wanted to get. “Sir, we must apologize for the inconvenience. A moron in our engineering department thought it would be a great idea to make headphones normally worn in an indoor home environment compatible with Iphones. Turns out, the plugs cause all sorts of problems with other devices and accessories. We apologize profusely for the inconvenience. Fortunately, we worked out the issue and we’re sending you a new set of headphones with a plug that works.”
Oh, if only that was the response I received! Then I wouldn’t be sitting here wasting more of my valuable time corresponding with you. The response I got was “our Ipod headphones are only designed to work with Bose accessories.” I was flabbergasted. I’m not just a headphone fan. In the ten years I was in radio, headphones were one of the most important tools of my trade. And in the many sets I’ve owned, I NEVER heard of a set of cans that didn’t work with any extension cord or plug-in system that I used. And that includes Sony headphones, from a company that seems to take a perverse pride in making sure their products only work with each other!
At this point, your customer service representative became a customer argument representative. After some pointless back-and-forth, I had to back him into a corner by stating that nowhere in the paperwork I received did it say that these headphones wouldn’t work with non-Bose accessories. At that point I was put on hold. I can only think of one of two things that happened; either the customer argument representative had to go to his supervisor to find out what was the cheapest way to get rid of me, or he scoured the paperwork to see if I was lying about my manual not mentioning the inherent exclusivity clause. I suspect the latter. So I got a new extension cord sent to me.
As you could guess, this is not the response I wanted, but I thought I would give it a shot. And what did I receive in the mail? The same crappy kite string that the headphone cords are made of! So not only do I have to worry about the headphone cord getting tangled in everything, now I have 8 more feet worth of cord that I have to watch (and hopefully not trip) over! And the worst part? This extension cord is going to short out in a couple of years. How do I know this? I bought your computer speakers about 8 years ago. About three years into owning them, one of the cords shorted out to the point that, every time I moved the speaker, I had to wiggle the cord around to get it to work.
Boy, reading this over, I feel like an idiot. I just keep banging my head against the Bose wall, expecting it to feel better each time I try it. But not to worry. It won’t happen again. You make very good sound delivery systems and you package them in shoddy materials. Then you charge an arm and a leg for them, and follow it up by hiring customer service representatives who are taught to tell customers that have problems with your poorly-made products that they really don’t care. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
sleepy (01-21-2015)
Old 12-30-2014, 12:23 AM
Administrator

I don't know Ike your satchel briefcase must be very brief if it can't take a package 60mm thick?

No doubt the bose did have superior clarity, better highs and lows though it wasn't a day vs night deal by any means. The mini boom only has two speakers and a bass reflex port, which really does enhance the bass.

I have had it cranking at full volume for 4 hours or so and checking the app afterwards it rated the charge at medium, though that is where it is lacking, the app is very basic, does the job though it could and should be much better, also being able to recharge it with any USB to micro USB cable is handy.

All said and done I'm generally not cranking it that hard and use it mostly with the nexus 7 to watch a few anime episodes at bedtime in bed and then go with https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.music.player at 66minues / Shuffle all to sleep to, needs a charge every other week, oh and it turns itself off even with the on switch on as a matter of course.

I still think 2 of these placed a few metres apart would definitely win as far as stereo separation and loudness goes, whilst losing out on fidelity perhaps.

Though bang for buck I don't think it can be bettered.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Pinball Porcupine

@steve,
that makes sense. your needs are seemingly different from mine and perhaps we're each seeing our 'baby' through those eyes. my own needs involve having a fairly powerful speaker system that can match movies and TV shown on a 14' foot screen image. other times it has to serve as the anchor for karaoke parties, competing with voices and various musical instruments. i will be definitely be on the lookout for your speaker tho, since it sounds intriguing and yea, the awesome price...

@bill,
the name "bose" has no glamor for me. actually i kind of resented having to shell out good money for a potentially-overpriced audiophile product.

i have no idea about the angry customer there, but it's hard to read that as any particular indictment of their main product, which is speakers AFAIK. i'm sure bose is not immune to the same kinds of capitalistic traps that many other companies fall prey to, such as a different (crappier) dept making accessories to cash in on the name. bad customer service another variation.

bottom line for me, this thing is a magnificent / amazing speaker, one that i never imagined existed or was even possible when i bought it a few years ago. steve's may be even more amazing, but point is, i'm excited about the performance, not the name.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:02 AM

Yeah, I think I made that point to them in my letter; great speakers, surrounded by absolute shit. And they aren't built for the long haul, either. My computer speakers would probably still sound great if I plugged them in right now. But since the speaker wire is fucked, they make very attractive paperweights. And, now that I have a nicer (and cheaper) pair of Philips speakers, I don't have to worry about the over-bassing that Bose seems so fond of (surprisingly, the headphones I have are the first Bose product I've run into that doesn't have that problem). Anyway, keep track of the brand Steve's using... you're gonna need it in a year or two!
Old 12-31-2014, 05:23 AM
Pinball Porcupine

maybe I was just lucky. I have this thing playing every day as much as 24 per, and no probs. that's three years of very heavy usage. the charger and cord are pretty heavy duty, so no probs there either.

I honestly have no idea if Bose gets good marks on the whole or whether they're sneaky sellouts at this point. pretty disappointing that the cables seem so substandard.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:34 AM

At this point, if you have a Bose product that you're happy with and still works after three years (I remember when you got that thing... has it seriously been three years?), you should count yourself lucky, indeed! I'm sure hoping these headphones last now that they sent me yet another fucking cord. I'm not sure where I'd go now. I have a set of Sennheisers I was perfectly happy with, until I latched on to my girlfriend's Bose sets she got for Xmas last year... and then I was hooked. Sadly, tragically hooked.
My own speaker is a Lenovo. I'm gonna say it's not quite as fancy as the ones either you or Steve own, since I picked it up on sale for $19.99. I mostly use it to listen to audiobooks at night, but, I will say, I had to go through a lot of chaff until I found this delicious hunk of wheat. And it's the first Bluetooth device I've ever had! Every time I take it into the the bathroom when I shower and leave my Ipod playing in the other room, I feel like I'm harnessing dark, forbidden magicks.
Ike Savage (01-01-2015)
Old 01-01-2015, 03:05 AM

BTW, Nic, something you wrote up there makes me think you might be playing Zen Pinball on factory settings. That is something I will never do. First thing I do on one of their tables is go in there and shut off tilt. They are complete girls about their tilt settings. Pinball Arcade doesn't do many things right, but at least they give you a decent tilt.
Speaking of Pinball Arcade, anyone here remember a guy named Sellenoff from the old VP days? I never knew much about him, but I remember seeing his name. I was hitting the PA forums a year or so ago, trying to find news on badly-needed PS3 patches and discovered that he's working for the Pinball Arcade Evil Empire. Anyway, if any of you guys are still in touch with him, drop him a line and let him know charging an extra three bucks just to have access to a table's settings and adjustments menu is highway robbery.
Let's face it; these days I am rarely happy with anything I buy. That speaks to two possibilities: manufacturers in our ever-increasingly disposable society don't give a crap about the products they're releasing. Mr. and Ms. Consumer have been Appled into thinking that it's perfectly reasonable to have to replace your products every couple of years, so why should they be expected to work any longer than that? The other possibility is that I'm the crazy old crank I always feared becoming. It's even money on which one is correct.

Last edited by LeeVanCleef; 01-01-2015 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:10 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Chintzy cord problems? Do what I do (sometimes).
Tie a string to the solid ends, at the plug and the input to the phone cup, the length of the chintzy cord, so that, when you happen to pull on that chintzy cord, the tension is instead applied to the string. Pull the chintzy cord taut alongside the string and tape it.

The original Bose side-by-side flaring speaker array was created in Burbank, Ca by a junior high school student in Orchestra Class who talked about it to a family who was the role model for The Corleones. Vince was into hi-fi. His nickname was "Sonny".
They claimed to work "in the downtown restaurant trade", and their friend, "Rocky" was a known mobster who also played a Morlock in George Pal's, "The Time Machine".
He was a Big Guy from Polynesia.

"Sonny" suggested using L-R differencing for a matrix quad sound system in 1967. And I had thought about it before then. And then I forgot about it. This is the same mix that was used in the Dynaco Quad system, and later, the original Dolby Surround system that was first used by Star Wars. But The Beach Boys also used it by 1969.
And The Grateful Dead? Who knows?

Eh, is Bose outsourcing their MFG?
Old 01-01-2015, 04:19 AM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Heh. We went Trick-or-Treating one night with Rocky..
Old 01-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Pinball Porcupine

bill, i reluctantly had to simplify many of the settings on jedi. generally i needed more time to complete modes. i think i made the tilt easier, not sure. actually my complaint with tilt is that the side nudges are somehow reversed. not to mention, doing a slapshot requires using thumb and index finger across the two screen halves... something which can easily be borked up, heat of battle.

sellenoff = steve ellenoff, part of the old pinMAME team. he's sure to be on VPF, whether or not he posts regularly. man... so farsight is evil now? you're on quite a roll these days, lol. i know they're kind of boobs, overcharging a lot and using a flawed physics model, but my last understanding is that their expenses all around are pretty high. so... *shrug*

the soundlink... uh yea, pretty sure it's close to that. maybe a little less. i get what you're saying, i'm sympathetic... still remain thrilled with this unit. your point about the vicious circle of the consumer market reminds me of how cool something like DIY is. ex: using these fairly cheap little arduino controllers and a little programming ability, people can create a broad range of their own electronics and computer-augmented inventions. so it's both the age of the lazy consumer and the height of DIY potential. sleepy's ideas on such possibilities alone could probably power a major news network.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Pinball Wizard

The one thing I've never got to and always wondered about is a low power-to-step-up PSU for cutting the electric bill. Our apartments use step-up transformers to reduce the cost of the outdoor lights and power usage on the grounds.

I believe I suggested using DC-to-AC chop circuits-to-transformer output for stepping up the power from a low source (battery, solar, etc.) back in 1959. We were talking about solar power back then too. And about a year later, Brother Al dragged me off to the theater where we watched "Atlantis: The Lost Continent" which featured a giant solar crystal as the movie's main weapon. It vaporized Ed "The Chief" Platt to bone. But he was playing a priest of humanitarian virtue and common sense vs the barbarous rulemongers and their crystal ray solar tech.

Funny. That was a George Pal film also. But I like his.

Last edited by sleepy; 01-02-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:38 AM

Reading that synopsis of Atlantis makes me wish MST3K was still up and running... sounds like a perfect movie to make fun of! Plus, that would mean a double header for "The Chief", who got his when MST3K took on The Rebel Set. This is a great way to kill an hour-and-a-half. In fact, I'm gonna watch it as soon as I'm done writing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_1viOcwlSY

Oh, there ain't no "reluctantly" about it... if you wanna get anywhere in any of those tables, it's a must. Usually, I just turn off tilt and extend the "ball save" times... maybe adjust the pins to "easy". I don't know... I suppose if I played Jedi now after going through it a couple hundred times over the summer, I could play it with the factory settings, but now the obsession is gone. And to think I only learned how to do four out of the... twelve, probably?... "movie scene" scenarios.
Pinball Arcade is an example of another problem endemic with many companies... ones who don't understand the technology they're trying to work with. It seems that PA created a business model and then tried to build a company around it, which led to a lot of failures. Tables that were unplayable in multiplayer mode went unpatched for over a year. They completely dropped the (pin)ball on uploading games to Xbox, so that 360 users got the original four tables and then nothing else, because the company had no idea on how to upload onto the marketplace. And, yes, physics seem to be a bugaboo. Unlike Zen, the physics on PA tables seem to differ from game to game, with one theme that almost unifies them all... they play waaayyyy too fast. Of all the companies that I feel have let me down as a consumer, theirs is the one I almost feel sorry for. I'm sure that deep water looked very inviting when they jumped in. And all they would have had to do to keep from drowning is just a little preplanning with a run by the inner tube store. I know I always stop by Tubes R Us before I go swimming. For a true critique of PA's physics, I think we'll have to wait 'til Shocky downloads their latest offering, Phantom of the Opera. That's the guy who can tell us what's wrong with it!
Now go watch The Rebel Set!

Last edited by LeeVanCleef; 01-02-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Pinball Wizard

I might be wrong about that.
According to IMDB, The Chief was strangled by the villain.
It was The Villain who Got Vaporized by The Solar Crystal Death Ray.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby651 View Post
...Pinball Arcade is an example of another problem endemic with many companies... ones who don't understand the technology they're trying to work with. It seems that PA created a business model and then tried to build a company around it, which led to a lot of failures. Tables that were unplayable in multiplayer mode went unpatched for over a year. They completely dropped the (pin)ball on uploading games to Xbox, so that 360 users got the original four tables and then nothing else, because the company had no idea on how to upload onto the marketplace. And, yes, physics seem to be a bugaboo. Unlike Zen, the physics on PA tables seem to differ from game to game, with one theme that almost unifies them all... they play waaayyyy too fast. Of all the companies that I feel have let me down as a consumer, theirs is the one I almost feel sorry for. I'm sure that deep water looked very inviting when they jumped in. And all they would have had to do to keep from drowning is just a little preplanning with a run by the inner tube store. I know I always stop by Tubes R Us before I go swimming. For a true critique of PA's physics, I think we'll have to wait 'til Shocky downloads their latest offering, Phantom of the Opera. That's the guy who can tell us what's wrong with it!
Now go watch The Rebel Set!
not sure i understand how the bolded manifests with the specific examples you're giving, but i guess i can dig the general drift. i do think the video on their own homepage explains exactly why the physics differ, game to game. like, that's the one dude's 9-to-5!

all i know is that barring the occasional jedi or whatnot, nobody is yet able to come up with williams-quality tables, and 15 years later (or whatever) nobody is able to come up with pro-pinball level physics. yes, technology races ahead on all fronts, but not those two fronts... never those two. what was that backwards-superman called from the comic books...? bizarre-man or something, where the laws of nature are all random or reversed. well, shit...
Old 01-02-2015, 04:52 PM

Well, they had a dream of releasing two tables a month on nearly every conceivable platform (except PC at the beginning). This plan trapped them into releasing products that weren't playtested, didn't allow them to first find out how to fix tables on the PS3 that might actually have problems... and, as stated above, didn't even take time to find out how they were supposed to post their new tables to the Xbox 360 marketplace. Let me put it this way; I've always wanted to go to the moon. Now, should I spend years planning on how I'm going to build my homemade rocket or should I just start tying balloons to a lawn chair and keep my fingers crossed? Of course, in either scenario, my death is practically assured. But I'll live longer if I spend years working on my rocket!
That is one thought I had while playing PA's Diner... enjoying both its simplicity of design and the depth to its playing. How come Zen Pinball can't release a "Diner"? I mean, if we can put a man on the moon using nothing but balloons and a lawn chair...
Bizarro, Nic. His name was Bizarro. And James Kirk's middle name is Tiberius. Now, back to Nerd 101 with you, young man!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Pinball Porcupine

oh no, no... homie don't play that, gillaume. i never took on that later pitiful definition of "nerd"... which somehow came to mean being expert in comic book characters and video games. nerd to me remains nerdly... up on the sciences and such... technical and talented, not the self-entitled generation fawned upon by popular culture. hell, even the slacker-generation had better points about everything than this ship of foo... meh, side rant. *ahem*

again, i think i can see why farsight felt it had to push a certain pace. i'm not forgiving them entirely, but... the lawyers and negotiators fees must be ongoing and the licensing, a nightmare. apparently it's not enough to just license with williams or gottlieb or whatever manufacturer... no, you have to obtain permission -and- negotiate a fee with every single copyright holder on whatever game you're trying to emulate. this can run in to the dozens on some tables as i understand it. i could be wrong, but that's the way i remember reading about it in some long lawyerish thread... most likely at vpf.org. personally as a user i think it's more practical just to play the classics on VP / FP and stick to original tables on consoles and devices. i'm not you, though.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 AM

Ooh, lookee there, fellers! Milady wants to be considered a pure nerd! Sorry Nic… that’s really less mean and a lot funnier if you can hear the funny voice I’m doing it in.
Seriously, though, your anal-tight definition of “nerd” consequently cuts the members of the tribe in half… something they can’t take, since they’re all probably about the same size as you and me. You’re completely ignoring “nerd culture”. You know, what those noble nerds you described do on their off-time when they’re not contemplating the stars or their navels. Let’s take uber-nerd Stephen Hawking. Seriously, even when the dude was still on two legs, he looked like the grandfather of Anthony Edwards’ character in Revenge of the [fill in blank]. So what does Dr. Hawking do when he’s not contemplating the nature of black holes? He plays poker with Data on the holodeck (that would be from the season-ending episode of Season 6). And why? Because he’s a giant Star Trek nerd. That’s right! If he can be a “black hole” nerd by your definition, there’s no reason he can’t be a “Star Trek” nerd as part of the universal “whole”. Anyway, I apologize in advance for just absolutely blowing your mind.

Last edited by LeeVanCleef; 01-03-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Pinball Porcupine

wahoo!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 PM

Nothing looks more ridiculous than a bunch of nerds fighting.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Former Operator

Credits: 64,533.24
Itchigo will become famous soon enoughItchigo will become famous soon enough

FREEDOM!!
Join the Rogue (A different kind of pinball site)
http://roguepinball.com/index.php
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itchigo For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (01-04-2015), sleepy (01-05-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Back to speakers checkout this one Ike, though I think you are going to need a bigger briefcase.

http://www.gizmag.com/marshall-wobur...mode-eq/33684/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01...ooth-speakers/
The Following User Says Thank You to StevOz For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Pinball Porcupine

neato, mang!

something like that could work out nicely for me. i could take that, my tablet and a wireless mic with me for karaoke takeout.

at home i use a shure mic plugged in to my fender guitar amp. right now i take the bose with me on excursions, but that doesn't solve the mic situation.