Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all
Default The Eagles, The Return of The Fabulous Forum, and THe Los Angeles Shopping Bag Ban

Alright. First off.
On January 1st, the Los Angeles Ordinance which banned the free distribution of single-use T-Shirt Carryout Plastic Bags by major supermarkets and department stores became the law. Mini-marts and liquor stores are exempt until Summer, then they also must abandon the plastic bags.

Shoppers must either bring their own bags, pay 10 cents for brown paper bags, or buy permanent grocery tote bags for $2.79 each.

The major markets have already found a workaround. They are now distributing reusable plastic bags.

And in other news, on Jan 15 The Eagles will be the lone opening act for the Grand Re-Opening of the newly refurbished "Fabulous" Forum in Inglewood, Ca.
The venue was once host for major sporting events and concerts, the then-permanent home of The Los Angeles Lakers basketball and the L.A. Kings hockey teams, and major concerts by Cream, Elvis, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, The Jackson 5, Led Zepplin, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Parliament Funkadelic, Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Nirvana, and others. Jackson used the location to rehearse for his ill-fated "This is It" tour. The renovation has converted the venue to a "concert-only" format and promises superior accoustics to those of other current concert sites, with no "Nosebleed Seating". We shall see.

To celebrate the Grand Re-opening and the 6 Nights stay of The Eagles,
broken only by one night in the middle of the 6 by Justin Timberlake (Jan 20), The Forum has constructed what is billed as The World's Largest Vinyl Record, a gigantic replica of The Eagle's 1976 monster hit, "Hotel California", which rests atop The Forum and is visible to airline passengers
flying to and from LAX (Los Angeles Airport).

The giant replica was constructed using more than a Quarter Million Square Feet of printed Vinyl held up by more than half a mile of aluminum truss, the only 120-foot truss circle in the U.S. The 407-foot diameter disc spins at 17 mph and was constructed by a crew of more than 75 workers.

No doubt, Los Angeles dignitaries and public officials will be in attendance at The Grand Re-opening!

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-#.Us_5-dIflH0

http://www.fabulousforum.com/about.html

http://www.fabulousforum.com/about/press-photos.html

Last edited by sleepy; 01-11-2014 at 12:49 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (01-11-2014), LeeVanCleef (01-13-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 AM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 117,692.93
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice

"ROOF OF SOUND"

When Lit
Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 245,894.74
LeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really nice

That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen! It could only have been more impressive if it had been created using only single-use T-Shirt Carryout Plastic Bags. Or, since it is a '70s album (if not the '70s album), a little good old-fashioned colored vinyl!
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
sleepy (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 03:54 AM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Now you got me Ruby. Off the top of my head, I'm scrambling to consider what the album of the 70's might be.

Me, I'm thinking:

Who's Next
Talking Book
Dark Side of the Moon
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Hotel California
Rumours
Songs in the Key of Life
Saturday Night Fever
The Wall

But you know, I think I read somewhere that the Number #1 Song of the 70's was
"You Light Up My Life". What can I do??
Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 AM

LeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really nice

I would pick four of those albums you listed as the albums of the '70s: Dark Side, Rumors, Hotel California and Saturday Night Fever. You would be hard-pressed to find someone who bought an album in the '70s and didn't buy one of them. Hell, even my mom, who bought me my copy of SNF... which was a sight I would have liked to see! I would almost add the Grease soundtrack, but not everyone on the planet owned a copy until well into the '80s.

And, yes, you are unfortunately correct; Debbie Boone has the #1 song of the decade. Makes you think a little better about "My Sharona", doesn't it?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Pinball Wizard

But "My Sharona" was so worth it when compared to "Y.M.C.A.".

Doesn't anyone miss Led Zepplin IV?
Old 01-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Pinball Wizard

My memory is slowly improving.

Exile on Main Street
A Night At The Opera
Boston
Frampton Comes Alive

And then there are the personal favorites, or Albums I've never actually bought
Desire
Night Moves
Fly Like an Eagle
Aqualung
Heart

And Bowie and Steely Dan belongs somewhere on one of these lists.

Last edited by sleepy; 01-11-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Pinball Pusher

Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice
Smile God Gave Rock and Roll To you

I guess if 'ya gota pick one(Glad we don't)...Dark Side Of the moon. We are so lucky to have had those years of explosive musical creativity. Our current generation has no grasp of the music available to them from the recent past. I know everyone grows older thinking things were better in there past. The creation of music during those times will never be equaled. My boys are in their late twenties. They do have an appreciation for great inspirational rock and roll. We share and help build an amazing collection of rock and alternative rock. My youngest and I were shooting pool a few days back RT says "None of my friends even know who 'Frank Zappa' is" I think it sad they don't/can't appreciate the soul fueling music that our family relies on every day.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Argent - God Gave Rock n Roll To You.mp3 (3.07 MB, 101 views)

When Lit
Old 01-12-2014, 01:04 AM

Some very good lists, sleepy, and some great albums, but I think we picked the four that really defined the '70s. It was hard not to pick Led Zep IV, but Zeppelin never had an album that was larger than the zeitgeist of the group itself. Hotel California, Fever, Rumors... every one of those albums ended up defining the artists, for good or ill. I mean, seriously, Tusk, despite its flaws, wasn't a bad album. But everyone thumbed their noses at it because it wasn't Rumors. On the flip side, Hotel California tapped the Eagles so completely that they put out their most hollow, lazy release in The Long Run. Even Pink Floyd, who closed out the decade with The Wall, still doesn't escape the shadow of the album that stayed on the Billboard Top 200 longer than any other album in history (14 years for Dark Side). For me, off the top of my head, my top 3 '70s releases would be the Stones' Exile, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks, and Elvis' This Year's Model.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:09 AM
Pinball Wizard

And The Moody Blues. They are noted for Days of Future Past, but I definitely enjoyed Seventh Sojourn more.

There are those albums of the times, Seals and Croft, Doobies, Allman Bros., America, Chicago, that did very well and yet did not achieve permanence, but where would we have been without them?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Credits: 134,388.53
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Americanise...wow that is a word!

Sure some inspirational tracks to be sure though not nearly half of the talent at any time.

edited for the track...well I could have gone AC/DC but how about this instead?

Hunters & Collectors - Holy Grail - YouTube
Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Pinball Pusher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
And The Moody Blues. They are noted for Days of Future Past, but I definitely enjoyed Seventh Sojourn more.

There are those albums of the times, Seals and Croft, Doobies, Allman Bros., America, Chicago, that did very well and yet did not achieve permanence, but where would we have been without them?
I guess the point is, It was hard to stand out, at a time when so many great groups were releasing great music.
Thanx Steve for the 'Hunters And Collectors" . Here we are in the month of January(The fact that we are anywhere, clearly against the odds, is not lost on me) this song seems apropos.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Hunters And Collectors-January Rain.mp3 (7.97 MB, 100 views)

When Lit
Old 01-13-2014, 03:26 PM

Steve, I'm ashamed of you! How could you leave out The Saints? One of the finest punk bands anywhere, let alone in Australia! And let's give an extra thumbs-up to creative Aussie cinematography in late-70s TV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qatJHDHRwJg
Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:

I would pretty much agree with every one of those. I think Live at Fillmore East by the Allmans would get an honorary mention on that '70s list. Back in the '80s, I was in more than one house where that gatefold album cover was used as a deseeding tray!
I would say that the '70s was the last time that pop radio was truly egalitarian. It was a time when the top 40 could include something for everyone. Country with Dolly and Kenny, soul and r&B from some of the greatest artists of the genre, rocking and rolling all night with KISS... hell, there was even music my mom liked! (I don't want to think of the hours I had to listen to Barry Manilow growing up) I doubt that, in our ever-fragmenting society, we'll see the likes of that again.
Coil_Smoke (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 01:49 AM
Pinball Wizard

Was thinking about the country rock genre and those artists behind and apart from The Eagles, Jackson Browne, Linda Rondstat, Bonnie Raitt, and those who struggled with one hit wonders, A Good Feeling to Know, Trouble in Paradise, Aimee (a definite favorite), and who or what did I forget?
Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 AM

Oh, just the most important country/rock artist of all! There would be very few of those you listed above without Gram Parsons. From the heavy lifting he did on the Byrds' Sweethearts of the Rodeo to the highly underrated Flying Burrito Brothers, the dude more or less invented the genre of modern country/rock. As you can tell, I'm kind of a fan!
sleepy (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Pinball Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby651 View Post
I would pretty much agree with every one of those. I think Live at Fillmore East by the Allmans would get an honorary mention on that '70s list. Back in the '80s, I was in more than one house where that gatefold album cover was used as a deseeding tray!
I would say that the '70s was the last time that pop radio was truly egalitarian. It was a time when the top 40 could include something for everyone. Country with Dolly and Kenny, soul and r&B from some of the greatest artists of the genre, rocking and rolling all night with KISS... hell, there was even music my mom liked! (I don't want to think of the hours I had to listen to Barry Manilow growing up) I doubt that, in our ever-fragmenting society, we'll see the likes of that again.
Spot on. Glenn Campbell, Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, Jimmy Hendrix and The Doors all in one set....

When Lit
Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Aint' that the truth? It was a time in Top 40 when you could hear some truly bizarre combinations on the air... much like the one you listed, Coil! Sleepy's post about country rock reminded me of the attached song. I've always been a fan of Heard It In a Love Song, but this has to be, not only the best Marshall Tucker Band song, but probably the best Southern Rock song (sorry, Freebird!)

Marshall Tucker Band / This Ol' Cowboy - YouTube
Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Pinball Wizard

There was a very nice song with two note harmony on a warm fuzzy lead guitar like maple sugar, on an album by The Amazing Rhythym Aces, from the 70's, but haven't had the album for many years.
I can't remember it just now.

Gram Parsons, Yes! Though I think The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Buffalo Springfield/Furay, and The Monkees/Nesmith got the jump on early country rock.

This is one of the most difficult times of my life. At 60, it is nearly as impossible to get my waking and sleeping hours turned around as it was when I was 24(!), and I must do so tonight as the concert starts at 8 tomorrow, and I do not mean to be late!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Pinball Wizard

And the first incarnation, the rockabilly of The Sun era of the Fifties, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Buddy Holly, Charlie Rich, The Everly Bros. and Elvis. Kissin' Cousins?

Was "Big Bad John" country or almost country rock? I'm thinking because of the lack of sentimental traditional country in the arrangement. Stark. Almost pitch black with reverb and a western beat.

And "Ghost Riders in the Sky" was more akin to what became country rock, in a way like "Colorado".
Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM
appropriate at this time

Credits: 72,509.57
Shockman will become famous soon enoughShockman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Was "Big Bad John" country or almost country rock?
Pop
Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Pinball Pusher

Lightbulb Needs It's Own Genere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockman View Post
Pop
Big Bad John-Original Lyrics-Jimmy Dean - YouTube>
>
Reminds Me Of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgfxgKRc4johttp://
>
And Then There's:
The Coasters - Along Came Jones - YouTube>
>
While We're At It:

>
Vik Venus - Moonflight, Mono 1969 Buddah 45 record. - YouTube

When Lit

Last edited by Coil_Smoke; 01-15-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:50 PM
appropriate at this time

Credits: 72,509.57
Shockman will become famous soon enoughShockman will become famous soon enough

Pop

reminds you of Folk

then there is more Pop

while we're at it bits of pop, soul, r&b, and rock and roll.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 46,878.33
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Was "Big Bad John" country or almost country rock?
How about Country Rap? (sans the breakdance and crotch-grab)
Old 01-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Pinball Wizard

Busted...
Woke up at 4:30 A.M. the day before the concert. Everything was on schedule, but by 4:30 Wednesday morning I had the shits, could not sleep until 2:30 in the afternoon, and after being up for 22 hrs. and facing 30 hrs. of cramps and not sleeping,
I couldn't go. Damn!

Next day I tried calling The Forum, but the only number I could find was for the Madison Square Garden organization of New York (the new owners of The Forum).
So I then called Ticketmaster to ask about "Standby Seating", in case there are empty seats remaining by or after showtime on one of the remaining nights since I did have a valid ticket that was paid for, but all Ticketmaster could do was to repeat the very strict rules of the Madison Square Garden organization of New York. No refunds. No exchanges. And no Standbys. The customer service was very nice, but bound to the rules.

If I can get there during the remaining shows, I might still try The Standby Procedure, but they'll probably want another $200...the ticket was a Christmas gift...
Old 01-19-2014, 03:32 AM

That seriously sucks, sleepy. It's a shame you missed the show. Eagles tickets are notoriously high-priced. Of course, that means the concerts only attract the douchebags who can afford it... so, on the bright side, you didn't spend the night with a bunch of balding accountants wearing their "concert" khaki shorts and taking videos with their cell phones. A great man once said "They call it paradise, I don't know why. You call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye." Oh yeah... the Eagles said that. But they probably didn't do that one in concert.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Former Operator

Credits: 56,833.85
Itchigo will become famous soon enoughItchigo will become famous soon enough

Lmao. Good one!

FREEDOM!!
Join the Rogue (A different kind of pinball site)
http://roguepinball.com/index.php
Old 01-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Pinball Wizard

A footnote.
The unused ticket was reported by the giver and was exchanged for a Ticketmaster gift card, which was then mailed to me by USPS Priority Mail on Tuesday.
By Saturday it had not arrived, so I called family about it, got the tracking number,
and found out the letter with the card "was delivered" on Friday, according to records. I called Bob the Mailman at the post office and he told me the regular carrier for our mail was asked about it and claims that he did indeed deliver that Priority Mail.

Now, the accuracy of the mail delivery to the apartment where I live is dependent strictly on Fate. With the mailboxes for 103 units located in a single mail room location, pretty much like an Automat in its construction of little boxes all in a row.
the carrier often behaves as a dyslexic, putting the right mail in the wrong boxes,
and we always do get each others mail. And sometimes the door to the mail room is left unlocked, or is forced open by the local youth.

So the gift card was reported lost or stolen and is now cancelled. A replacement is on the way, but will not arrive until the end of this week.

Meanwhile, The Eagles have now flown and I've probably missed a Beatles reunion as well. I take comfort in the thought that I am with most of the people in the world
who won't get a look at that either. Come tomorrow, the locals will be at home here at the apartments as if nothing is going on at all.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Pinball Pusher

Removed the *****that was apparently Jacking Up something here@Pinball Nirvana.

When Lit

Last edited by Coil_Smoke; 01-26-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: It's A bit of a mystery...?
The Following User Says Thank You to Coil_Smoke For This Useful Post:
sleepy (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Pinball Wizard

Hey.

Got anything for Beatles?