Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Game Master

Credits: 43,167.01
Hanson2 has a spectacular aura aboutHanson2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby651 View Post
Jeezum Crow! Is there a way to change the layout? That site looks like a tombstone! I think I'll stay here.
Yeah you are right, I told this Groni too, but it is his first day with his new forum! Have patience!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Game Master

Credits: 43,167.01
Hanson2 has a spectacular aura aboutHanson2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby651 View Post
Jeezum Crow! Is there a way to change the layout? That site looks like a tombstone! I think I'll stay here.
Hey ruby651, take a look now at GRONI's forum!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:38 PM
'Rasslin' Fan

Credits: 71,731.95
Noah Fentz will become famous soon enoughNoah Fentz will become famous soon enough
Default VPForums.org - COMING SOON!

Well, I suppose it's time to let the cat out of the bag, so to speak...

I've been working on a new forum for VP that will include all the features VPF used to have and more!

I have already picked up vpforums.org and vpforums.net. Both will direct you to the right place. Myself, and a couple of other VPF members have been working on this for about a month. The forum software will be installed Thurs and within a few days after that, all the mods will be in place.

It will include a working upload/download section with numerous search filters, a high score section, etc.

Please feel free to suggest any and all features you'd like to see, since it is you, the VP fan, that makes this community great!

The sky's the limit!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Noah Fentz For This Useful Post:
1234fd (01-14-2009), Boki (01-14-2009), elton (01-14-2009), Jive (02-05-2009), JonPurpleHaze (01-14-2009), panootz (01-13-2009), robert kundrat (01-14-2009), Silverball (01-15-2009), Slapnuts (01-14-2009), TheMcD (01-14-2009), ValamirCleaver (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Faralos

Credits: 124,907.30
faralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura about

I thought I remember a post on VPF recently concerning a rumour that vpf may vanish, guess its true. Oh well, ok, then i guess I'll make this site my new home, well, here and Groni's site. His looks ok too. so pretty soon (fingers crossed) everything will be all honky-dory again, huh...hated to see vpf go It had tons of useful info and tables on it. man just when I got used to it, too...
oh and for now neither l;ink is working yet. just tried both neither works
Old 01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 52,179.57
yogiholzer will become famous soon enough

Mmh? Actually I don't know what to post. I guess it's already too late here. Have a good night all!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 19,637.38
Jlr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by panootz View Post
Hi Jlr, how are you doing. I guess it's down and nobody knows for how long. Probably not until AJ fixes it and who knows how long that will be. It might be awhile because he doesn't post much on the forum. Oh well this is are new home either for awhile or for good who knows. Dave P.
I am fine,thank you.Yes,unfortunately it is down.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
rvoit2500

Credits: 17,794.35
rvoit2500 is on a distinguished road

I'm Really Going To Miss The Forum, I Thought Something Was Wrong With My Roadrunner Connection. I kinda Wish There Was Now That I Know That My Favorite Forum Is Gone.....So Sad
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 23,913.38
lupo51ca will become famous soon enough

I guess I'll make this one my new place to visit. It's been a while since I was here but it seems to load up much faster then it used to.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Fentz View Post

I've been working on a new forum for VP that will include all the features VPF used to have and more!

I have already picked up vpforums.org and vpforums.net. Both will direct you to the right place. Myself, and a couple of other VPF members have been working on this for about a month. The forum software will be installed Thurs and within a few days after that, all the mods will be in place.

It will include a working upload/download section with numerous search filters, a high score section, etc.

Please feel free to suggest any and all features you'd like to see, since it is you, the VP fan, that makes this community great!

The sky's the limit!
Is this official with AJ? I see that 4dealhosting was the VPF server located in Carmichael, Ca. (AJ's location), but its website is offline. I can't believe the server would leave the Net without a message.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Phoenix... rise...

Credits: 17,418.85
ValamirCleaver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Is this official with AJ?
This independent of AJ and vpforums.com. Noah and I started discussing this shortly after he joined the staff of VPF and TMFP retired. We noticed the frustrations of the "old timers" with incomplete fashion that VPF was supposedly "upgraded" last summer and the "absentee landlord" situation with AJ. We were going to wait until the new site was ready to go online before a public announcement, but figured we might as well do it now since others seemed to be despairing with the current situation of VPF being down. Please feel free to make any suggestions.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ValamirCleaver For This Useful Post:
1234fd (01-14-2009), Jive (02-05-2009), Noah Fentz (01-14-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 PM
'Rasslin' Fan

Noah Fentz will become famous soon enoughNoah Fentz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Is this official with AJ? I see that 4dealhosting was the VPF server located in Carmichael, Ca. (AJ's location), but its website is offline. I can't believe the server would leave the Net without a message.
It has nothing to do with AJ. I've been working on this with Val for over a month, and it was going to be up this weekend, regardless of the status of VPF.

I've witnessed a lot of aggravation and frustration from both the members and authors at VPF, and I wanted to give the community a forum they can rely on.

With this recent discussion, I figured it was time to inform everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noah Fentz For This Useful Post:
1234fd (01-14-2009), Jive (02-05-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 304,627.40
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

not to dampen the enthusiasm (the scene can always use more sites), but i doubt anything serious has happened to VPF. if the host has dropped out for some reason, AJ will simply find a replacement host and renew the site with his weekly copy of the database.

although,yea- in many ways it would be better if he stopped wasting everyone´s time, so to speak.

a big problem with replacing VPF is that randy´s and many other sites list it as the primary VP site. meaning it has always received the bulk of the new user traffic. so unless someone can convince a lot of other sites to list the "new VPF" above the "old VPF", it will continue to catch most of the new users. even if it´s a total ghost town. this is a big reason why PN and other VP-related sites, despite being arguably much better than VPF, have always operated at a big disadvantage in this way.

it would be good fun though, tom, if with your admin powers at VPF you changed the top welcome banner to a "site has moved" banner. i would enjoy being part of a betting pool to see how long it took AJ to notice and angrily react.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
Jive (02-05-2009), Noah Fentz (01-14-2009), Slapnuts (01-14-2009), ValamirCleaver (01-14-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

I'm not expecting or requiring approval from AJ as if a new vpforums site is obligated to anyone else (other than possibly Randy). It's just that I would personally consider choosing a domain name other than "vpforums" out of respect for fairness and to avoid confusion. For instance, when I surf I consider sound-alike website names to be suspect as the practice is often used by malware sites.

As for VPF, does anyone else suspect the logfile has stuffed the hard drive and server again or has AJ really gone out of business this time?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Pinball Player

Credits: 30,979.58
Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not expecting or requiring approval from AJ as if a new vpforums site is obligated to anyone else (other than possibly Randy). It's just that I would personally consider choosing a domain name other than "vpforums" out of respect for fairness and to avoid confusion. For instance, when I surf I consider sound-alike website names to be suspect as the practice is often used by malware sites.

As for VPF, does anyone else suspect the logfile has stuffed the hard drive and server again or has AJ really gone out of business this time?

The
traceroute dies at the web host so maybe the sever just crash and need to be rebooted.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 26,467.80
Liteuser. is on a distinguished road

Well I hope VPF will be back, I noticed Pinball Originals has been down off and on for a few days as well. I check out PN when ever I'm online anyway and It's nice to see PN is still alive and kicking.

Later
Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 250,820.80
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson2 View Post
Hey ruby651, take a look now at GRONI's forum!
I gotta admit, that looks a lot prettier!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Phoenix... rise...

Credits: 17,418.85
ValamirCleaver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas.b View Post
in many ways it would be better if he stopped wasting everyone´s time, so to speak.
That's one of the things that is so frustrating, if he's going to continue VPF; why is he just half-assing it? Or if he's just going to haf-ass it, why doesn't he just let it go?
Quote:
a big problem with replacing VPF is that randy´s and many other sites list it as the primary VP site. meaning it has always received the bulk of the new user traffic. so unless someone can convince a lot of other sites to list the "new VPF" above the "old VPF", it will continue to catch most of the new users. even if it´s a total ghost town. this is a big reason why PN and other VP-related sites, despite being arguably much better than VPF, have always operated at a big disadvantage in this way.
We realize that this is the humongous shortcoming that any other VP related site is up against.
Quote:
it would be good fun though, tom, if with your admin powers at VPF you changed the top welcome banner to a "site has moved" banner. i would enjoy being part of a betting pool to see how long it took AJ to notice and angrily react.
You're not the only one to have had this thought cross your mind... Someone doing something like that would probably not remain admin too long and probably net someone an IP ban at the very least...

Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 AM
EM Enthusiast

Credits: 189,347.14
JonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of light

I think nic is right and VPF will return soon, this has happened before and will hopefully happen again. Pinball Nirvana was born due to frustration with VPF a long time ago and i wish sucess for any new one but i also think that VPForums.anything is bad. VPForums should be called VPPinMAMEforums.com, they don't offer VP non-VPM Recreations or Originals for download. Just hope a new site wouldn't ignore Future Pinball if they are called VPwhatever.com.

Did you know that once upon a time you could register @ VPF and donate cash to get more (VPM only) downloads? Just a sample of my problems with VPF, the site is too important to let die, I've offered to help AJ in the past and do today.

Last edited by JonPurpleHaze; 01-14-2009 at 06:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonPurpleHaze For This Useful Post:
StevOz (04-29-2014)
Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Starfleet Member

Credits: 81,238.73
Phoenixx has a spectacular aura aboutPhoenixx has a spectacular aura about

Of course VPF will be back.

Since the hoster itself is down, AJ probably cant even access the site himself right now, which means his hands are just as tied as those of everyone else who uses this hosters servers. But as soon as the servers are back up, VPF will be back up as well. No doubt about it,...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
sXe And Better Than You

Credits: 29,215.60
TheMcD will become famous soon enough

Quote:

The sky's the limit!
Ha... so now it's out, eh? Too bad I couldn't even get started on working for the history of VPF like I had planned too... fucking repair-service.

I must say, I'm quite anxious to see exactly how it will turn out.

The McD

Click HERE to visit TheMcD's Pinball Music Emporium!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Pinball Player

Credits: 30,979.58
Joe is on a distinguished road

The Visual Confirmation Code on the log page on Pinball Originals is not working.

EDIT now it is working.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 PM
'Rasslin' Fan

Quote:
... It's just that I would personally consider choosing a domain name other than "vpforums" out of respect for fairness and to avoid confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPurpleHaze View Post
...the site is too important to let die...
"VPforums" has been around a long time, but how much of its success can we thank AJ for lately? He has done more to piss enthusiasts off than help the community as a whole. That's why I chose VPforums.org. It's about being a part of an organization, not commerce. It's readily identifiable with the community at large.

I don't want to see this community die a slow, aggonizing death, and I'm not concerned with the history of VP anymore, but its future.

Quote:
I consider sound-alike website names to be suspect as the practice is often used by malware sites.
Probably not the case for a community based on freeware.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:20 PM
sXe And Better Than You

Credits: 29,215.60
TheMcD will become famous soon enough

Darn, it's so tempting... but I don't want to do that.... screw it.

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE!

Well, now I did it. Pulled one of the most obvious things to say.

The McD

Click HERE to visit TheMcD's Pinball Music Emporium!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMcD For This Useful Post:
Noah Fentz (01-14-2009)
Old 01-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValamirCleaver View Post
You're not the only one to have had this thought cross your mind... Someone doing something like that would probably not remain admin too long and probably net someone an IP ban at the very least...
heh... you never know. AJ being so disorganised and all.

seriously, if you really wanted to you could probably add it in there in a way that makes it seem legit, like¨"more help for new users at this address" after the listings for the two guides. or something like that. of course it doesn´t help that BBcode is turned off, making the new address more transperant. or that the new address has "vpforums" in the name.

Quote:
I don't want to see this community die a slow, aggonizing death...
yea, it´s pretty-much been dying a slow agonising death for many years now.

although honestly, troubles with VPF is not the biggest reason IMO. randy´s disappearing act is the biggest reason, and one too many unpleasant people like pacdude running around is another. still another is the disappointing support and enthusiasm for originals as well as people´s chronic inability to work well together.

so... hmm. i´m not really sure how much of VP´s decline you can reverse with another website.
but still, the more sites the better.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM
'Rasslin' Fan

I have to agree with you on the disappointing support and enthusiasm for originals, so I'll be including the ability to upload originals, too. I would like to see more original works in the future, since we're pretty much stuck at a recreation roadblock with SAM not being emulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPurpleHaze View Post
Just hope a new site wouldn't ignore Future Pinball if they are called VPwhatever.com.
It is intended to be a forum for all things VP, but I, too, think the inclusion of a good Future Pinball forum will also be wise.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Pinball Nudger

Credits: 39,391.98
TedB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas.b View Post
yea, it´s pretty-much been dying a slow agonising death for many years now.

although honestly, troubles with VPF is not the biggest reason IMO. randy´s disappearing act is the biggest reason, and one too many unpleasant people like pacdude running around is another. still another is the disappointing support and enthusiasm for originals as well as people´s chronic inability to work well together.
Hell no! The latest VP creations are absolutely stunning. I agree that VPF has its issues and it is not a good thing that Randy is hibernating for such a long time now, but that says nothing about the great work that has been done.
When i like to play a great vp table, I'm not searching for tables made in 2003,4,5,6 The best tables are very recent (with the exception of Scapino's tables and one or two Pacdude's)
2008 was the best year ever for any vpinball enthusiast, 2009 started great and I am thrilled to see a new JPG forum. Apearantly JP and Groni didn't share your views and I'm glad they don't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TedB For This Useful Post:
1234fd (01-14-2009), Hanson2 (01-14-2009), panootz (01-14-2009)
Old 01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Pinball Nudger

Credits: 39,391.98
TedB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have to agree with you on the disappointing support and enthusiasm for originals, so I'll be including the ability to upload originals, too. I would like to see more original works in the future, since we're pretty much stuck at a recreation roadblock with SAM not being emulated.

It is intended to be a forum for all things VP, but I, too, think the inclusion of a good Future Pinball forum will also be wise.
I like the idea of a new forum and a new site for vp. Would like to see the different sites work together and also share each other resources.
Right now it is a bit of a mess to find the most recent version of a vp table. When all sites work together and provide the same content (tables) or at least give the link to the newest version. That would help a lot.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TedB For This Useful Post:
1234fd (01-14-2009), Hanson2 (01-15-2009), panootz (01-14-2009), ValamirCleaver (01-14-2009)
Old 01-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 52,179.57
yogiholzer will become famous soon enough

The more VP (and VPM) forums are available, the more the community is probably split. I don't exactly like that idea, because I like to meet all the nice people I learned to know in the past ~7 years, not only, but mainly at one place and talk to them from time to time about any theme or just read their posts. Even if the main theme is and should keep pinball at a pinball forum, I always also enjoyed the outlane and I don't want to miss anything like that. I admit that I fear that the contacts will become less and that the places become more anonymus and that I don't feel home anymore anywhere, because I know that I don't manage to visit many several miscellaneous pinball forums. That can lead to me losing interests in posting anymore at all.

Actually PO isn't available here beside VPF, but I still believe both will be back soon. Then we would have:

PN (which already nearly brings everything that is needed in my opinion)
VPForums.com (old home)
PO
PU (as online tournament place)
futurepinball.com/forum
JPG-Pins forum
Scapinosvpins.com/forum
VP Discussion
VPForums.org
VPForums.net
and whatever I forgot to mention

Actually I don't look that much positive in future as most of you. Sorry! I hope it will proof to be different.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedB View Post
Hell no! The latest VP creations are absolutely stunning. I agree that VPF has its issues and it is not a good thing that Randy is hibernating for such a long time now, but that says nothing about the great work that has been done.
When i like to play a great vp table, I'm not searching for tables made in 2003,4,5,6 The best tables are very recent (with the exception of Scapino's tables and one or two Pacdude's)
2008 was the best year ever for any vpinball enthusiast, 2009 started great and I am thrilled to see a new JPG forum. Apearantly JP and Groni didn't share your views and I'm glad they don't.
that really has nothing to do with what i just said. there are many reasons why VP is great, but i was talking about things which have dragged VP down over the years.

if you knew what the community was like back in its heyday then you might understand better. and my views on the situation take absolutely nothing away from the latest splendid re-creations. you should consider yourself very fortunate that a couple of topnotch authors are still left after so many have been lost over the years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (01-15-2009), Slapnuts (01-15-2009)
Old 01-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Pinball Wizard

It don't look good for AJ. The address for "4dealhosting" is:

4dealhosting.com
5429 Earnell Street
Carmichael, CA 95608

I called 4dealhosting's customer emergency number and I got the Verizon "number changed or disconnected" message, so unless he's changed his number in response to us and others then this isn't just a server outage.