Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > Computer Corner > Software

Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 PM
appropriate at this time

Credits: 85,561.29
Shockman will become famous soon enoughShockman will become famous soon enough

I use MAMEUIFX32 and MAMEPUI64 You can set this autosave in those under default game options/miscellaneous
Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM
appropriate at this time

Work log update,

Zoom in for the level select screen is in, and the background sound. Is there another game where you can die selecting levels?
Work is under way for the next two planets.

- Link planet for level 1 is working. 20 seconds. I have not made it yet. I might need to make it 25 seconds. I know I can do it in 20 with these physics, but it's too much a challenge for level 1. Maybe I will keep 20 and make it easier with less gravity.

- It is faster to get to the planets, or sometimes seems so, and in some positions certainly is, if you instead of fighting the strong pull of gravity in the planet select screen, slingshot around the sun. This takes pratice, and is very dangerous if done to the max as you circle very tightly the sun while thrusting towards it. You can actually settle into a stable orbit at any altitude. It's pretty cool, an effect, not something I worked towards.

- Planet one is the subterranean part of the level in the demo. You can grab the lander at any time and play that, the Gravitar game will be where you left off as far as fuel tanks, turrets, time, and score, but you will get a bonus based on the score in lander.

- Planet two is a Gravitar surface and horizontal tunnel run with downward gravity. The landscape needs work, and bunkers.

- The link planet is the same as the arcade game.

The screenshots are in-game. As you can see I am in the process of changing to realistic per game info display ports at the top of the screen. Planet two still has both yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot108.png
Views:	187
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	5184   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot111.png
Views:	162
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	5187   Click image for larger version

Name:	planet2.png
Views:	182
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	5188  

Last edited by Shockman; 04-18-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 351,529.82
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

sorry. been a rough week for me. project is looking cool and i'm looking forward to doing some more testing soon. hope i can help in some way, going forward.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 60,858.10
kristian will become famous soon enough

Version 0.1.28 download is 28 bytes and contains nothing....!!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 AM
appropriate at this time

Thanks. And sorry. I fixed that.

I almost uploaded this newer version but it is not ready. I will upload a new version maybe tonight, or tomorrow.

-Increased line width. It is more vivid.
-Planets zoom in and animate.
-3 planets to visit.
-More, and more authentic sound.
-Mission change for Lander sequence.
-I'll explain more when it is released.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Pinball Wizard

This keyboard combination doesn't work.... there's only one way to make it playable on a keyboard... and that means using the original Asteroids/Gravitar/Space Duel 5-button controlling system.

For the keyboard that means:

Z-Rotate left
X-Rotate right
SPACEBAR-shield/tractor
SLASH-Thrust
RIGHT SHIFT-fire

Using the cursor keys for anything kills it for me... can't play it.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
appropriate at this time

Thanks.

The keys are already configured that way in what will be the next version.
The joystick is going to in that configuration as well.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Pinball Wizard

Very cool.... looking forward to it. This is pretty damn impressive work although I don't care for Lunar Lander as a game much at all.... except from a historic perspective.

I'd love to see Gravitar with new levels and unaltered physics & other stuff. I mean... how can you improve something that's perfect?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 AM
appropriate at this time

Thanks. I am pleased with how it is turning out, with only a week into the parts I have added.

You can play the up-coming version without playing Lunar Lander at all. You will descend down through it and enter the tunnel and play that subterranean level, and you will see the lander, but if you don't grab it, you won't be bothered with it. Right now that's planet 1 of level 1, but it is going to be anything other than planet one in the end, because it's too hard. There will either be a bonus game attached to one planet in each of the four levels, or there will be an extra planet in each level. If I go with cloning the levels of the original Gravitar, these bonus games will be attached to an original Gravitar planet added, which you could help design if you like. If the game is full of original levels, then they will be attached to one of the planets, but none will be mandatory either way I go with that.

The 4 bonus games will probably be, Lunar Lander, which I love by the way, Star Castle, Omega race, and maybe Asteroids. And there will be cameos of more vector games that are not playable. For example you might go to a planet with another subterranean Gravitar level where a mini side view Battle Zone sequence is playing out on the surface.

Work log update,

- Control key layout made closer to the arcade version.
- Added some behavior, containment in the level select screen, persistent aliens.
- Fuel tank drain animation.
- Tracking of guns and fuel tanks, meaning if you leave that planet will still be in the level select screen, and when you re-visit it your progress is there. When the mission is complete, that planet will not appear in the level select screen.
- Link planet for level one is doable in 22 time units.
- Turrets shoot where they are pointing, while rotating towards you. This is one example of where I think Gravitar could have been improved.
- Level select screen is zoomed in closer to the original game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g_keys.png
Views:	172
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	5190  

Last edited by Shockman; 04-20-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 PM
appropriate at this time

Default Lunar Gravitar v0.3.1

Updated

The file is at the start of this thread.

Lunar Gravitar wip - Pinball Nirvana Forums Lunar Gravitar wip - Pinball Nirvana Forums

Last edited by Shockman; 04-20-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Pinball Wizard

This is what I get. Graphics are screwed.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 AM
appropriate at this time

When I write my own key mapper, I can use the keys you want, But GM does not have those in the key set. I might be able to by figuring out the keycode and putting it in a step of a controller. If I can do that, then it will be in the next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristian View Post
This keyboard combination doesn't work.... there's only one way to make it playable on a keyboard... and that means using the original Asteroids/Gravitar/Space Duel 5-button controlling system.

For the keyboard that means:

Z-Rotate left
X-Rotate right
SPACEBAR-shield/tractor
SLASH-Thrust
RIGHT SHIFT-fire

Using the cursor keys for anything kills it for me... can't play it.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 AM
appropriate at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristian View Post
... Graphics are screwed.
What resolution are you running it in? And what area is that?

I guess I am going to have to use an algorithm to set my view ports. I don't know how to read the resolution it is being run in, but when I learn that I can make the zooming work in lower resolutions. It's assuming a 1920x1080p screen.

Last edited by Shockman; 04-21-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Pinball Wizard

1280 x 800.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

same result as kristian. max res with this graphics card is apparently 1680 x 1050.

why not make the standard resolution very basic so that it's guaranteed to run across all setups? in MAME there are plenty of vector-emulated games that run at 800x600 and still look very good, just to cite an extreme example.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:52 AM
appropriate at this time

I might go 1024x768 on the release version. If I had 3840x2160 and the power to run it, that is what my version would be. Lower res is ok, except when it is zoomed, and it is going to look bad on high res monitors. When I get some of the mechanics I am working on sorted, I will re-scale the levels. At least it's wide screen. If there is to be two versions, I do have to get two in sync fairly soon so the rest can be one development process. If it was not for the zooming, the view-ports, it would not matter, 1080p or 320x400, it would work on all monitors, just the aspect ratio and clarity would be effected.

My Asteroids Plus. I don't know if you guys have tried that, but it is drawn in native 1080p but in 4/3 so it is 1440x1080. You guys can run that just fine, but it is going to be stretched on a wide screen in anything lower than 1920x1080p. In 1080p it is 4/3 in the center of the wide screen.

I'm glad for the feedback, and I will set you guys up. There is nothing that needs to be redrawn, though it would help clarity. I can leave everything as it is except the view-ports settings (you will still have proportionate zoom if you res is matched . The reader display at the top is a view-port, the rest of the screen is also a view-port in some areas, but the zoomed sequences are all view-ports. So at any given time you are seeing either only the reader at the top, or a maximum of one other one. If I make these smaller than your screen res your monitor will not stretch them. As you can see, if they are bigger, your monitor will not scale them. The only way I know how to do it is with hard numbers or constants. I can not peek your monitors' res. This means that this game, one build for all, would have to have a manual input of your resolution,unless I can find, or write a .dll to fetch this.

I'm going to try this. I will spend tomorrow redoing the view-ports to 1024x768 and force your screens into that res. That would work, right? Or am I wrong to assume any monitor that supports bigger res than that be it and aspect ratio will display that res and stretch it? This would mean that the planets, space, everything will have the same pixel count, but the zooming will be to 1024x768.

The way these view-ports work is, I can box any area of the map be it smaller than the screen or bigger and make it viable in the entire part of the screen that is below the reader. At least that is what I am doing. I can have the reader imposed over it, or I can view that port in just a little section of the monitor, like a radar display, or track map in a racing game.

I tend to ramble.

Thanks again. Please try the next release. If it is good on my 1080p and works for you then I might just make one build. If I go with the hassle of a resolution requester then I will use that number for both what area to grab, and the resolution to display it in, so the proportions will be the same regardless.

Last edited by Shockman; 04-21-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 AM
Pinball Porcupine

seems pretty weird that there's no way to peek the screen size from such a high-level format. have the experts on the gamemaker forums said that such option is definitely out?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Pinball Porcupine

btw, i'd meant to share this earlier. it's a really cool and comprehensive look back at the history of lunar lander that i bumped in to a couple months back:
http://technologizer.com/2009/07/19/lunar-lander/
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 AM
appropriate at this time

Guys, please do us a favor and unzip this folder and run each program and report.

First you will see a display in your resolution that is 1024x768 centered and sometimes stretched (i hope).

press space to see this scaled keeping your monitors resolution
press space again to go back
repeat

If the scales on each corner are respective corners, which means the diagonal lines go right into the corner, and the death star is centered, we are in business and it's just a matter of which format you like best.

If you want to change your resolution and try it it would be helpful.

If you see everything and it is centered. I will go from here with game setup demo with two view-ports. I was wrong about being able to peek you resolution, and with this ability I should be able to get a reliable display. This means I can make the levels as big as I want and scale them to your screen and also just show any cropping, in any area of your screen. This should work at any screen resolution, even smaller ones like 800x600 and even lower.
Attached Files
File Type: zip resolution and scaling.zip (3.88 MB, 156 views)

Last edited by Shockman; 04-21-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 AM
appropriate at this time

I made a mistake in that. The first display is 640x480 and it should say that it is.

Moving on though.

This set will first set your monitor to 1024x768. The first display is 640x480 either fixed scale (the only that will not fill the screen), Keep aspect (full screen minus what is left over because it keeps the aspect ratio), and full scale, both displays will fill the screen corner to corner.

This in either full scale, or fixed aspect ratio will probably be the display method for the game.
Attached Files
File Type: zip set resolution.zip (3.87 MB, 149 views)

Last edited by Shockman; 04-21-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Pinball Porcupine

all three successfully detected my current screen res, which i tested at both 1280x800 and 1152x864. the first program did display at the smaller size ( 1024x768 ) and then snapped to my current screen size with the press of the space bar.

with the second two programs, they were both 'pre-zoomed' to the corners even though the message said "only 1024x768." pressing the space bar merely scaled the boxes in the corners to about half-size.

EDIT: that testing was for the first set you had attached.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 PM
appropriate at this time

Perfect. Full scale is stretched, both displays. Fixed aspect ratio is stretched too, both displays, but only as far as allowed to keep the aspect ratio. unless of course the resolution matches. Fixed scale will not stretch.

The game will be full screen and I have full control over the aspect ratio of the display, or the perception of that, by the size of the surface I select to display.

Fixed scale is really useless other than to test the display. The choice is to maintain an aspect ratio in full screen, or to have full scale, corner to corner.

Thank you Ike.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM
appropriate at this time

Another thing that would maximize the end result is if we can determine the max resolution we could all go. This would be the highest resolution that we all have support for. Even 1152x864 would be an improvement over 1024x968. I don't want to make it in 1024x768, if we all could be running it 1n 1280x or more.

I still feel I need to force a resolution. though I can now display the view-ports at whatever resolution you have, it's the part I grab to view that would be the problem. When zoomed in because of the proximity of the rammers for example, that area would be different for each of us that are not running it in the same resolution, unless.... unless I can use percentages of the monitor resolution for these grabs. We'll see. But for sure there will be no more unusable displays.

Last edited by Shockman; 04-21-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Pinball Porcupine

sure- glad to help.

yea, i guess i see what you mean about the max res. maybe you could let the user set it in an option panel or something.

that reminds me- based on the last time i played the actual game, the simulated vector lines looked very thin and even patchy. is it possible to boost the thickness and glow like in MAME / AAE? possibly another user option.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Pinball Wizard

Make it work in a fixed resolution for now... you can concentrate on the looks later.... it'd be nice to test the gameplay which is the most important thing.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:03 PM
appropriate at this time

That is exactly what I have just been doing.

The version on the first post will play in 1024x768. You don't have to set it. It will do that and return the res you had when it is done.

Lunar Gravitar wip - Pinball Nirvana Forums Lunar Gravitar wip - Pinball Nirvana Forums
Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Pinball Porcupine

no screen issues now. just trying to figure out what i'm doing. guess i need to read the latest instructions or something...
Old 04-21-2012, 11:38 PM
appropriate at this time

There is no instructions yet. The mission documentation is not even correct. Just rotate, thrust and move around without crashing. Shoot everything that shoots or moves at you.

Hover over the fuel tanks, which are the rounds things on the blue frames and activate the tractor beam to get more fuel. Tractor the Lander and take her out and land on flat things very softly. Bring he back in and land beside the blue ship to run over to it (a Major Havoc cameo bit). Tractor the moon buggy at the bottom and see that nothing happens, Visit the big red world for a time race to shoot the reactor and get back out. That reminds me, that level needs an exit. Shoot the rammers that hover around the planets and the aliens that wonder about the space between, them. Visit the second planet and do stuff there. Visit the one on the bottom left and see that it does not work yet. Visit the top left and see that it's just the same as the bottom right. Run into the sun and think to your self "I better not do that again" Try to land on pads on the lunar lander surface with the gravitar ship. That's about all you can do for now.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:12 AM
Pinball Wizard

Got the display working... but with these keys it's still unplayable.

Can you try something like this:

Z-rotate left
X-rotate right
SPACE-tractor
L-thrust
P-fire

It's essential to get the 5-button system working. Cursor keys kill this game (whatever it's going to be).
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 AM
appropriate at this time

Yes I could use those keys. What I think would be better and side by side would hit the same spots and have the corner of the keyboard as reference is on the keypad.

6 +

I will add both sets

Thanks for the feedback.