Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > Real Pinball > General Pinball

General Pinball General Pinball Topics

Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 PM
appropriate at this time

Credits: 72,509.57
Shockman will become famous soon enoughShockman will become famous soon enough
Default Special when Lit on HULU

If you never seen it. It is an hour and a half long.

Last edited by Shockman; 05-22-2011 at 11:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shockman For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (10-13-2011), LeeVanCleef (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 227,063.84
LeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really nice

That was a pretty good film. Too bad there was no mention of VP. They could have edited out some of the sections on the weirdos (the Pingeek part comes to mind), and squeezed it in. But still, well worth a viewing if you haven't caught it before!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 PM
appropriate at this time

I don't know, Maybe it was good that VP was not mentioned.
I suppose, at the point where they showed Space Invaders, they could have used VP instead.

You know I am a fan of VP, but you also know I am a fan of Arcade games, and pinball.

Anyone. You, me, Paul, anyone. when given 3 things to sort in two categories, A Black Knight Pinball machine, a Space Invaders video arcade machine, and VP, are going to put VP with the Arcade machine, not the Pinball machine (including the best cabinets holding VP that are out).

Someone could argue different, categorizing by theme or something. I did leave it up to you to select the best sorting criteria. But you should know after watching this what theirs is. If anyone is thinking about arguing different in this thread though, then they better be willing to say that they would put Daytona USA with the real nascar circuit instead of Space Invaders, because it had a wheel and pedals I guess.

My point is you can not stop calling a video game a video game, because it has advanced controllers, or is put inside a nice box.

VP is a video game. Always will be. It will not replace, revive, stimulate, kill, or impact in any way, Pinball, other than the fact that is could spark interest, but Pinball is dying during it's final mutation.

Last edited by Shockman; 05-23-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:53 AM

LeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really nice

You've definitely made a very good point there; VP is one of the few things in this world that walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, yet still isn't exactly a duck. You are quite correct in stating that there is no way VP can be pinball; it's the anatomically-correct sex doll for pinball fans! I don't know that I completely agree that it doesn't have any impact on pinball, since VP does allow fans an ability to enjoy their favorite tables in the only possible way they can in an increasingly pinball-starved world. I would hold that VP serves a more important function than pingeek's DVDs showing films of people playing machines. But, in the end, you're right Shocky... VP gets filed next to Space Invaders!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 AM
appropriate at this time

My point was not to reduce VP to a mindless video game. The user is more interactive with VP, speaking of the builders and modders and those that tweak it.

I was expressing their point. The realness. As great as VP is, to include it would go against that point. It would be hard for them after the reaction to video games replacing pinball to say 'but if it is a pinball video game, it's OK'. Though it is OK, being where we're at, I don't think they agree.

I understand your point, and I agree with it. Though preservation is by definition the maintaining of real machines and the history of real machines, VP could serve as a museum of sorts. But if people are finding pinball by way of VP, and accepting VP and the like as the future of Pinball, it is not going to have an impact on Pinball, which is now collectors of pinball machines.

I wonder if anyone ever said 'Daytona USA (SEGA) is the future of auto racing' or 'Microsoft Flight Simulator users are pilots' etc. Why would anyone put so much stock in computer pinball?

As a theme for a video game. It's a good theme, as good as space adventures, or killing enemies, or racing a car, and just as real as those other games, which of course is zero.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockman View Post
I wonder if anyone ever said 'Daytona USA (SEGA) is the future of auto racing' or 'Microsoft Flight Simulator users are pilots' etc. Why would anyone put so much stock in computer pinball?
I used to rock at Daytona USA! I'd be one of the top drivers in the world if that had turned out to be the future of auto racing!
I didn't think you were belittling VP. It's just that your comment really brought home to me that it really can't truly take the place of pinball. No matter how great a VP cabinet a person has, it will never place the true tactile nature of pinball or the human interaction with a real machine... certainly not with the VP9 "physics" (or lack thereof).
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Former Operator

Credits: 50,505.67
Itchigo will become famous soon enoughItchigo will become famous soon enough

I guess I could agree with VP is a video game- it is. But it will go on because of VP. Even when there's no more machines to be found (like now) we'll always have VP to remember them by and see them in all their glory. VP IS preserving history. Although real pinball may be dying, the sport goes on. I hope it never ends.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 AM
appropriate at this time

VP is not for everyone. VP is not even for everyone that wants it.

I have not been able to find the latest build, or anywhere to download the new tables way back to the flintstones and road show, and these thing use to be allowed to be mirrored all over the place.

Pinball is pretty much dead, but many people still collect them and have them. No one in the whole world is banned from finding a pinball machine and playing it, or buying them. So I think VP is not history, or sport, or any more alive than real pinball.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 15,802.82
boydsc331 is on a distinguished road
Default awesome movie

just happened to stumble apon this thread. this is a must see for anyone into pinball. ive had my 1st pinball for only 4 weeks now and never knew the history behind the game. amazing