Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 10-21-2017, 07:24 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 61,388.28
shiva will become famous soon enoughshiva will become famous soon enough
Default Well,that was really not fun

If people wondered(though I doubt it) I have been off for a few days, as I had issues with my computer, and most importantly, Windows 10, and the lack of a proper chipset to support it.

What was happening was once every week, the computer would refuse to boot and just hang at the very start, so I would have to click like mad the delete key to get into bios and restart just to get Windows to start. The other times, it would load the screen in, then reset it before loading in Windows.

I have a MSI gaming computer now (my problems with my hardware are legendary by now) and apparently, MSI is blaming Microsoft, and Microsoft is blaming MSI, as multiple MSI users that bought their computers just before the changeover to Win 10 have the exact same problem, and so far, no fixes.

On top of that, I had weird ass problems with certain programs, so I finally got fed up, wiped the entire thing, and went back to Windows 8.1. Took a while to get it lean and faster, but so far so good.

As maligned as it is, it's actually far better and faster than Windows 10, and of course I added some things, so what I will do is list the programs I used to get it back up and running just in case this happens to you.

Start menu Reviver - (This turns my start menu to Win 7 type, but comes with a crapload of styles as well)
Revo Uninstaller - Essential, gets rid of all traces, including folders and registry entries that most installers (and windows) never removes.
f.lux - this is nifty, as this adjusts the screen to remove blue light during the night time. If you have problems sleeping after being up working on your computer at night, it's the blue light coming from your screen.
PC App Store - Strange name, but it's also the best checker and auto updater out there for software and drivers. Comes with a whole bunch of stuff, and allows you to download free stuff like games and wallpapers etc.
uTorrent - shh.....
Avira anti-virus - Far better now than avast, with the database more up to date.
ccleaner - love it, it's also one of the few programs that allow you to remove Microsoft programs that are restricted by Microsoft themselves in their bid to control the world.
Smart Defrag 5 - I just changed this over from Auslogics, it's pretty powerful, very fast, and really simple to use.

I have just started my secondary program installs, using Ninite. There are way to many programs you can install from there, but just the essentials for me. Music Bee, VLC, Notepad ++, PDFetc

And yes, soon as I got them in, first thing I installed afterward? FP and then VP

Anyone have any other great free programs to share?

FaceBook Page for all my Rants,raves and projects
https://www.facebook.com/paul.sanderson.3745496
Next project: FPx Template engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to shiva For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 272,423.53
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

Man, it always pisses me off when I have to install the OS from scratch, but then it always turns in to kind of an interesting project, and I wind up getting a leaner system.

I'm also using Avira, and have only ever had one problem with it, which was fixed after a reinstall. I've also neglected to reinstall such things as "Spybot Search and Destroy" and "AdAware," and that might be... pretty dumb of me.

As far as defrag goes, I thought that was pretty much an automated task in modern Win versions. Is it really necessary to install 3rd-partyware for that?

Sadly, the only noteworthy program I use these days is Windows Task Manager, which I use to monitor CPU and memory usage. It also lets me solve a problem that sometimes happens with this Win version (7, I think) in which the update service goes haywire and starts sucking up all available memory. When that happens I find the service app responsible and shut it down instead of shutting down svchost.exe, which only temporarily fixes the problem.

Anyway, StevOz if he's still hanging around should have loads of app suggestions. Come to think of it, I need to reinstall his recommended app for mass-adjusting playback volumes of MP3's... a very helpful tool. "Fox PDF" (or something like that) was another handy app for working with PDF files... much cleaner and faster than Adobe's.

Actually when I get around to it, I want to install Linux as a dual boot. Apparently it's worlds easier than it used to be. Yeah, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to be using Windows anymore because of all the relentless security risks.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:58 AM
Pinball Wizard

On defrag, yeah. The one in windows is good, but this resorts the files depending on use, optimizes it better, and is a lot faster to me at least.

The really nice thing about all of this is it is making me resort my files, get rid of the duplicates, and reorganize everything so I can find stuff. Already found lots of things I had forgotten about. Oops...

Old 11-10-2017, 01:26 AM
Pinball Wizard

Everything done, my computer is now a happy, and much faster camper. Still playing catchup, but then I have been distracted.

At the moment, getting my resources finished, and starting to finish the rest of the unfinished projects I have lieing around and haven't uploaded to the Shiva Archives section of this website. Most notably, a new version of what was to be the shivaEngine series, which I decided to convert over to VPX.

What I did was write the FPX engine first (for future pinball), take the better parts and combine them with se3 (se4 was completely rendered useless by VP10) and then rework it, before I add them back to FPX. Honestly, I think I will just take this new script and port it over to FP, and get that done once and for all. VPX has really changed a couple things though, but easy enough to fix.

Nothing really vpxy about the new engine, just changed the structure based from FPX so people like Nic might even be able to understand it. I have to rewrite the tilt and use my own system, and fix a ballsaver issue, and test the memory system, but it's fully usable as it stands. I will add more stuff once I release it to my tiny group of testers.

Bit of a question on Jungle Girl though, as it has become very clear that FP is in it's last days, and I am not sure if it's worth it to do it in VPX as it's a original and not a "actual" game. Hard to justify that kind of effort considering the vast majority will only play VPinMAME games, but what say you?

Old 11-10-2017, 05:08 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

Hah, I've never even tried VPX. Fortunately or unfortunately, it's hard for me to hold interest in a game or sport unless I'm playing it out in the wild. Right now it's a lot harder for me to get to machines out here than it was back in Philly. Oh wellers.

I don't understand what you mean about FP fading out. AFAIK development on the exe has been dead for many years, yet people continue to make tables for it, right?
Old 11-10-2017, 05:57 AM
Pinball Wizard

well, Tii does make half a million games per year, but the slow down is very noticeable with everyone else. I had hopes for BAM, but the combination of being far to high end for nearly everyone, and the inability to easily learn because of the lack of examples and the info is scattered around in hundreds of pages make it very tough to use. In fact, how many games are there that actually use all the new features of BAM? Not very many.
Not being able to modify the FP exe anymore is the killer. One of the biggest things, especially with the authors in FP, is the ability to constantly expand, and to push the limits of their tables. Because Black refuses to release his source, and has just left everybody for ten years now, I think we have reached the limits, and would need a far more extensive ability than we have now to continue interest in doing FP tables. Honestly, I think most of us are just getting bored of it. There's nothing new to excite us, or give us new things to do.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 71,203.92
Tii has a spectacular aura aboutTii has a spectacular aura about

FP over?? Well I'm going home then!
Old 11-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Pinball Wizard

NOOOO.....

Well Tii, you could go back to doing half a million tables for VP like you use to.

Even Zed has joined the dark side and is doing VPX tables, and hey, after all, the dark side does have cookies.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 71,203.92
Tii has a spectacular aura aboutTii has a spectacular aura about

No VP for me, in fact last couple of times
I visited VPForums their site tried to infect
me with a popup window virus....
Old 11-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tii View Post
No VP for me, in fact last couple of times
I visited VPForums their site tried to infect
me with a popup window virus....
VPF: "Howdy... welcome to the innernet, son." :P