Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > Real Pinball > Maintenance & Repair

Maintenance & Repair Discuss and offer tips on real life machines.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:09 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 118.03
Carp is on a distinguished road
Default Gottlieb Surf Champ Rollovers - no chime

Hi Guys - just joined and looking for some help. My '77 (?) Surf Champ works well in all aspects except this. When the ball goes over any of the 5 star rollovers, there is no chime. The score advances but that's it. There are other functions that also are tied into this fact of not chiming. I realize there are 3 different metal bars that ring during different functions. When some action happens the machine behaves with proper chimes (side bumpers, flip out hole, etc).
Ten or so months ago everything worked. I have had it for about 8 years and since "rebuilding" a lot of it, everything has worked, this is just a recent thing probably from lack of use.
I would appreciate some advice suggesting where I could first look for a fault.
Any advice appreciated - thanks in advance
Carp
Old 11-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Pinball Technician

Credits: 54,183.97
pinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the rough

The two main things to check on the chime unit is the chime coil plunger return foam cushion. Once the foam gets old it will turn sticky and hold the plunger down and not let the coil pull it up and hit the chime bar. Replace the cushion with weather stripping about the same thickness. The other problem is the coil sleeves and plungers need to be cleaned for smooth operation. The easy way to do this is unscrew and remove chime bars, unscrew chime unit , turn chime unit upside-down to remove plungers, clean plungers and sleeves and re assemble.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 118.03
Carp is on a distinguished road

Hey - I did everything suggested and it now works like new. Thanks so much. I cleaned and replaced the foam - one plunger was stuck to the old foam so it needed replacing.
The game sounds great again - thank you!