Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 03-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 307,694.70
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

phew! for a sec i thought it was going to be j-pop with the collection of cutesy girls going through their little choreographed poses. not that i don't appreciate that, but the songs are always producer-created fluff, not stuff made by the girls themselves.

bill, from the bottom of my selectric i thank you. but maybe in the future you can do both the embed and share the directlink. then again, that might cut down on the circus-aspect that all webforums strive to revel in. hmm... what to do... what to do?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:36 PM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 250,820.80
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

I resent you claiming this thread has a "circus aspect"! For the first time ever in one of these pages-long wandering threads, we managed to steer it back to the topic post! Yeah... ladies who sing and such! No circus here, my friend... trains running right on time. Mussolini would be proud! Unless it's a circus train, like in Last Crusade. I'm not sure where that would leave us. What was the question again?
Oh, yeah! C&P the link, embed below! Everyone goes home happy, you get an alibi when you club your neighbor to death with a femur! "Clarke made me do it, officer!" HAW! Wouldn't that be weird? A sci-fi writer starting a murderous cult? I come up with the craziest ideas!
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

you know... somewhere amongst that sloppy broadside you managed to hit something good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plannine7.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	6524  
Old 03-03-2015, 04:37 AM

LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post
you know... somewhere amongst that sloppy broadside you managed to hit something good!
LOL! In retrospect, what makes more sense: the plot from Plan 9, or the tenets of Scientology?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Here we go. An accidental encounter over at YouTube that brought it all back home. These are better Ronstadts. Y'know, I saw her once. She was exiting the off-ramp to The Ventura Freeway near The WB Home Office, driving an old, rusted Olds or Buick Big Car. It was probably a stop at the office due to the Trio "Mr. Sandman" collaboration. She looked Great!

Is the front page broken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hoX4rXJGWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWS8BLFbPs

Last edited by sleepy; 03-25-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Gregory Walcott, the lead actor of Plan 9 died just the other day.
He had better luck playing in films such as "The Eiger Sanction".
Old 03-25-2015, 01:39 AM

And in films like Ed Wood.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:45 AM
Pinball Porcupine

oi bill,
how did you like this here side-by-side?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-bgPKjasdA

so does it turn the frisbee up or the frisb... ? HOW THE HELL DO YOU TELL WHICH WAY A FRISBEE IS TURNED ANYWAY?? BILLINGTON get back to your base and prepare your answer... what do you think i....? what is it, WHA, WHA, WHA...?

trivia for me lads-- what series is that riffing upon, eh?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:57 AM

LOL! That was pretty decently mind-blowing! I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Martin Landau makes a better Bela Lugosi than that other guy... who the heck was he, anyway? But, as a long-time MST3Ker who's sat through many of his movies, no one does Tor Johnson like Tor Johnson. Point in favor of Ed Wood, Martin's incredibly hot daughter Juliet Landau. She was great in Buffy. So the winner is the movie Ed Wood!

For some reason, that quote sounds familiar... but I can't quite place it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Juliet.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	6541  
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 12:39 PM
Pinball Wizard

Aw shoot! In defense of Hollywood Hungarians everywhere, I believe Landau had many more years to study Plan 9. He is a great actor.

But from a purely physical similarity, I may damn well opt for John Travolta in pancake.

Velkomm.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Pinball Porcupine

um... william... i happen to be a bit of a director / producer, myself.

if you want to forward juliet's contact info to me, i think we can set you up with a nice, fat percentage of her contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Pinball Porcupine

holm? i have-a-no holm.
haun-tit, de-spiced,
treata likea aminal!
de JONK-il is my holm!

but i shall show de vorlt...
i shall porfect erase of peeple,
erase atomic soupormin,
dat vill konker de vorlt!

you see?! you see?!
your stoopid mimes,
stoopid, stoopid!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Pinball Wizard

You can look up Juliet's contact information yourself.
For Just $19.95/Mo. (or per year), or $29.95/Mo. (pricing may vary), you can access any number of stars and celebrities at imdbpro.com.

Act Now! and receive A Free 30 Day Trial with Absolutely No Obligation. Cancel at Any Time within The Trial Period and Pay NOTHING!

https://secure.imdb.com/signup/index.html

...but she may not be listed...
Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Pinball Wizard

Oh My God! He meant it!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 PM

For my money, Eddie gets a pretty bad rap. There are plenty of movies much more inept than Plan 9. Take the following example... please! One of my favorite Tor Johnson films, written and directed by Coleman Francis, who makes Ed Wood look like Spielberg. Wood was actually able to film actors and record their voices. See if you can spot a single person actually speaking onscreen during this entire bamboozle. Oh, yeah... Tor Johnson plays a Soviet scientist. I'll let that line sink in a moment.

Okay!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRhGW53eoxY
Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 48,368.07
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post
what series is that riffing upon, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby651 View Post
For some reason, that quote sounds familiar... but I can't quite place it!
I can't believe someone hasn't called off the jam on this, but I don't want to spoil a body's fun, so I'll just give a hint: "Joe Flynn".
Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Pinball Porcupine

@bill,
considering that's the entire movie, any idea where i can find tor?

@gregg,
uh i forget what we were talking about. captain binghamton is involved, tho?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 48,368.07
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

Ike;

Consult your post #98 and see if it all comes back to you. Something to do with turning (inverting?) a Frisbee---which was probably still known as the Whamo! Flying saucer in Binghamton's day.....Wha, wha, wha?!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:27 PM

Yes, if there's a constant problem for the Tor Johnson fan, it's finding Tor Johnson. He just blends into the scenery! But seriously, folks, Tor shows up at about 33:30, getting off the plane that seems like it wasn't built for the task of carrying Tor Johnson.

My fave riff from this one (amongst many classics): "Tor been to desert on horse with no name!"

Last edited by LeeVanCleef; 03-27-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 PM

Second favorite: "I didn't think they looked like Yucca Flatians."
Old 03-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Pinball Wizard

The Wham-O Frisbee, the Wham-O SuperBall, the Wham-O TurboTube, the Wham-O Water Wiggle, the Wham-O Slip n' Slide, and the Wham-O Super Stuff (a Blob of carbohydrate polymer in shocking pink).
EDIT: And the Frisbee Pro (1967), when I added the center counterweight "circle". It's all about the radius-to-circumference and fulcrum point-to-balance.

Folks, do not listen to the "Fred Morrison Frisbee" stories. Years ago, they claimed that Morrison was a building inspector who came up with the pie pan-as-flying saucer toy in the very early 1950's, before my birth. This was posted on the official Wham-O company website.

The current Wikipedia claims that Morrison came up with it from a cake pan in Santa Monica, Ca in 1938. Neither story is true. Morrison is a fictional cover story.

And...the only jobber that I know of from Santa Monica, Ca is/was Harry Williams.
I think he gave me a pinball once, in 1960. But he called himself "Homer" and he called it "a bearing that he picked up from work". Yeah, like "working the restaurant trade in downtown L.A.",

Last edited by sleepy; 03-27-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Pinball Porcupine

@gregg,
oh! i guess i just lapsed in to the spirit of PN, which is to frequently ignore others posts... including one's own! well spotted then, sir.

@bill,
thanks for the help. for my money, tor fits seamlessly in to almost any 50's B-movie. you know, i think i first saw his face in comic books from the late 60's / early 70's. there was a full page mail-order novelty shop and they sold masks cast from his head.

oh! while searching for that advert, i accidentally ran in to this!

scroll down a little bit and check out the goodness. that's one of my favorite graphic artists drew friedman (of national lampoon fame) doing tor, eddie and the gang. here's a sample strip:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fpHKiOzeRr...00/DrewTor.jpg
Old 03-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Pinball Porcupine

@sleepy,
i'd argue that frisbee-like objects have been around long before the plastic thingamabob. for example-- some forms of shuriken (throwing stars) used in feudal japan were disk-like thin steel objects with sharpened edges that one would flick at a target. they came in many different shapes, but there's probably about a dozen disk-like ones you can look at on that first page.

there's also the chakram from india, the discus from ancient greece, even small shields made of thin metal or wood from the post-stone age and even earlier. obviously in the 1900's the basic design became oriented (and perfected) towards recreational purposes, but it's an ancient design, really.

on a side note-- huh, i don't recognise a couple of those wham-o toys.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Pinball Porcupine

from drew friedman's blog--

Gilbert Gottfried is a hyper, brilliant, fearless comedian. In fact, he's one of my favorite younger Old Jewish Comedians. I've known Gilbert for thirty years, ever since meeting him up at the mid-eighties, not-very-funny version of the National Lampoon which we were both creating work for. We hit it off because we both shared a passion for old schlocky show business and especially old Hollywood horror films, featuring Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, John Carradine, George Zucco, Lon Chaney, Jr., and the giant, bald Swedish wrestler-turned- zombie/actor Tor Johnson. Gilbert and I lived in the same neighborhood of the East Village and he would frequently drop by, (usually unannounced), to watch my VHS tape collection of 1950's horror films mainly featuring Lugosi, some directed by Ed Wood, Jr., as well as Lon Chaney, Jr. films. Sometimes we'd both watch entire films in silence, absorbing every nuance and detail before Gilbert would put his hat and coat back on and return to his apartment on Avenue A.

Gilbert and I discuss our love of old horror films, among many other pertinent topics, including Groucho Marx's doing horrific things because "Chico needed the money", Jerry Lewis's reaction to my Old Jewish Comedian book, Jack Carter hating his portrait, Rosie Grier's bodyguard and film career, and Milton Berle's schlong, along with savvy co-host Frank Santopadre, in the latest episode of "Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing, Colossal Podcast"...
Old 03-29-2015, 04:37 PM

Okay, you just officially blew my mind! I have never known Drew Friedman's name but, of course, I've seen plenty of his work. Case in point: the very moment I saw your link, I couldn't contain my excitement as I yelled into my ear "It's the Ernest Borgnine guy!" In the late '80s, I worked at/lived at a college bar across from WSU called Kirby's... one of those weird little hole-in-the-wall college bars where what was on the bookshelf was at least as interesting as what was on the jukebox (and Kirby's had a great jukebox!). I was leafing through an old copy of Heavy Metal magazine and saw a T-shirt with the attached drawing on it, above which said "By the year 2050, everyone in Baltimore will look like Ernest Borgnine". What this truncated drawing doesn't show is that there are a field of Borgnines (and, not surprising, one Spiro Agnew stuck in there). Man, did I wish that wasn't a 10-year-old issue... I would have ordered that thing immediately! Now, almost 30 years later and thanks to you, Nic, I know that ad wasn't some sort of weird drunken fever dream!
Oh, and the Tor masks. Saw 'em all the time in comic books. Had no idea who the hell Tor Johnson was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	borgnine.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	6543  

Last edited by LeeVanCleef; 03-29-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Pinball Porcupine

haha, awesome!

i couldn't find the full thing, but chomp on these:
http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/p...n_borgnine.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2...8cto1_1280.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/7176c1da9...85xo1_1280.jpg

and another couple tors i'd missed:
http://150597036.r.cdn77.net/wp-cont...-new-york1.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GlagmaFyZP...e_friedman.jpg
Old 03-29-2015, 05:38 PM
Pinball Wizard

And you forgot about The Boomerang.
A couple of those Wham-O toys failed to catch on (the TurboTube), while the Superball got yanked after a couple of kids lost an eye when they tried to bounce one as high as they could make it go. On a simple basic average throw to the ground, the original SuperBall would bounce two stories upward. I do regret the injuries.

I have a memory of each and every one of them. It was my Brother tossing a pie pan around in 1956. I was a 2 1/2 year old toddler grasping onto the thick rounded edges of furniture to stay upright, and those thick "furniture edges" seemed right to apply to the circumference, to fix the instability of the pie pan's flying behavior. Pie pans make for a lousy flying toy.

But I wouldn't want to catch a Shuriken with my bare hands, or a stone or metal discus with my head.

Say, have I ever mentioned my self-sealing plastic Weber's Bread "Peanuts/Charlie Brown" balloons? It was a freebie in the bread bags in '67.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Pinball Porcupine

i thought about the boomerang, but it's not much of a disk, hence did not mention it. altho just now i found something called the wham-o-rang, which is sort of a frisbee - boomerang hybrid.

i've seen stuff like the turbotube back around the 80's or 90's. it lacks a certain sexiness factor, i'd say.

pretty sure i've seen the water wiggle a long, long time ago. maybe around 1970 or so.

if wham-o came up with the super stuff, it definitely spawned a tonne of imitators.

looking at WP, i see they marketed a version of jai-alai toss called trac-ball.

huge list, tho...
Old 03-29-2015, 06:33 PM

Oh, that fucking Slip'n'Slide. Probably the most enjoyable torture device ever created. I remember when I got one... I was probably about 7. I spent hours runningandslidingrunningandslidingrunningandslidin g. The next morning my stomach muscles felt like they had been trampled by Clydesdales.
I haven't had a chance to look at those links yet, but I did find one issue-or-volume of RAW on the usenets. There's gotta be more!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Pinball Porcupine

cool... i'm a big spiegelman appreciator for maus and RAW, altho strangely i've read very little of RAW itself. it doesn't seem to appear on the download sites very often, that's for sure.

btw those links are just images, not pages or anything. i'm not crazy about the attachement system here... the way it auto-scales things down and all.