Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 02-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Gotta have some Mama Cass. I love hearing this one 'round Midnight in the fog.
.One.
Edit: Jesus Christ. They can send a man to the Moon, but I have to make stuff up just to...

Last edited by sleepy; 02-27-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:53 PM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 250,820.80
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

As with Petula Clark, I'm gonna have to go with the Mama Cass song that Lost brought back from the dead. Now let's see if I can write enough so's I don't break the forum "latest posts" like arne did.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

That's an extremely 60's-centric tune. Do you suppose the Mama Cass was aiming for Pet Clark territory with that tune? I also hear a similarity to Dolly Parton/"Here You Come Again" which came later...Whoops.

They broke my tailbone over this one. She said her name was "Cece", but her guard, "Superman" blocked me at the door, I fell backwards and snapped my tailbone at 24, and I wasn't there for that anyhow but "to get a record" (A Very Bad Joke; they called the cops instead, after pushing me in that direction). But this one was already done by then.

And then, at the Ringo Walk of Fame ceremony, they kept rerunning a video interview with Crystal Gayle, in between the Ringo vids. We haven't seen her since I quit playing it. Strange, eh?
Well, that should be enough to save the front page now...

Old 02-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 307,694.70
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
The Cowsills' connection to "Partridge" seemed obvious at the time, though I never knew for sure until it became official.
i was probably around five years old when the partridges had their show.

the shows i watched and the songs i heard would have revolved around sesame street, the electric company and music my mom and stepdad were playing.

EDIT: dang, this youtube embedding sucks for me. all i see are black boxes where the videos are. i have to enable the ytimg.com script in order for them to display properly, but that's also one of the scripts that gives me the most headaches in FF... even the latest FF. i mean, yes i can sideways figure out what the video is if i quote your posts, pick out the URL, and paste it in to a new tab. oh well, whatever... gotta pick my spots anyway.

btw, embedded videos are also a PITA for tablet browsing because they tend to eat up a lot of CPU and memory... even tho i have a pretty fast tablet. just sayin.

i did see the name mama cass above, tho. she was on the smothers one time and did an awesome-hilarious version of "dream a little dream of me" clutching tommy in a king-sized bed.

Last edited by Ike Savage; 02-27-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Pinball Wizard

She was the model for, was it, the "Jessica" character in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"?
I met Zemeckis once. I delivered a tape to Disney and he was at an easel in one of the rooms behaving like a fruit. Have you ever encountered that?

"Brown Eyes" could have been an "Eagles" tune, with different lyrics.
I saw this one at the end. Please don't break the front page:

Well, it's not her best performance. Is Brian available?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Pinball Wizard

Notice how the performance quality goes down for television. Not these days so much, but it was definitely noticeable after the introduction of the VCR in the 70's. As though the performers didn't want to give their best performance and end up giving away their recording.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Pinball Wizard

Are you using the YouTube iframe code from the page, or the PN URL insert method?

The tablet using CPU. You mean just for the standing embeds, or when playing them?
I'll bet you are not at home using an AC adapter.

And meanwhile, FF has been real shitty the last couple of days, taking literal minutes to load a page, and controls are jamming. It's either that or the fact that TWC is messed up atm, delivering less than half the assigned baud rate. It's been 26 Mbps or less instead of the promised 50 Mbps, and when it does that, the results are usually less than even that. A lot of skips with the vids.

And yeah, I ran antivirus just to make sure I wasn't pregnant...the rabbit ran away with my money. Not dead...
Old 02-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Are you using the YouTube iframe code from the page, or the PN URL insert method?
i'm saying that i'm just browsing these threads seeing the black boxes... not even talking about inserting videos. you may recall that i like to just paste youtube links myself, not embed them.

Quote:
The tablet using CPU. You mean just for the standing embeds, or when playing them? I'll bet you are not at home using an AC adapter.
they show up fine in chrome on tablet (because i have low security on my tablet), but playing more than one or two in a thread slows things down.

makes no difference being plugged in or not. i don't think the power saving options on android have any impact on CPU load and memory usage. moreso on stuff like GPS, bluetooth, wifi, brightness. maybe you're thinking of some kind of laptop.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:39 AM
Pinball Wizard

I noticed with my music embeds that most people won't follow a link. They prefer to watch or listen to the embeds. But from my days on dial-up, I know what you mean.
I'm glad I'm on broadband now. Sorry about that rib.

And hey. The shitty Firefox behavior. On my XP ODS (Old Dog System), it was the ADB Helper that was the problem. If your Firefox is running poorly, open the Add-On manager, click the Extensions, find the ADB Helper and Nuke it. It belongs to Android and Firefox OS devices. And I don't know why it would be installed on an XP system unless it functions as a bridge to your Android devices via Bluetooth or whatever. But without it, everything is working great. I was able to play the YouTube for Black Sabbath/Paranoid HD without a glitch!

As a man, I am glad I am not pregnant!

EDIT: But if you depend on interconnecting between your Firefox browser and your Android or Firefox OS devices, then by all means, keep it Enabled, and may God help you. Or, you could Disable it while watching vids in Firefox as the workaround. Or, buy a modern system that can handle it all. But for us XP ODS users, Nuke it.

Last edited by sleepy; 02-28-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:03 AM
Pinball Wizard

Hmmm...

I used Windows Search to find the "adb.exe that was showing up in Task Manager.
I Googled for adb.exe and found out about the add-on that it's supposed to belong to.
I disabled "ADB Helper" in Firefox > Add-Ons.

Adb.exe then opened in Triplicate. So I Removed the Add-On in Firefox and closed the browser.
I used Task Manager to End Process for the three "adb.exe". They refused to shut down.
I used Windows Search again to find the folder and I deleted the adb.exe and the .dll in the folder.

Do you suppose it was Pregnant?
Old 02-28-2015, 02:36 AM
Pinball Porcupine

kind of toasted from singing a couple hours of karaoke with a buddy. let me get back to you on yer replies.

btw in memorial of nimoy, we found this classic spock vs. Q debate that i hadn't yet heard of in the slightest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTlGmmU4ao
Old 02-28-2015, 03:29 AM
Pinball Wizard

Yes. R.I.P Mr. Nimoy. He was hospitalized a year ago and it was expected.
And some folks around here consider it 'a joke', comparing his condition to "being off-the-air". Very poor taste, but that is the kind of crud that I put up with.
Biz type burn-outs getting dicey about people and being deliberately off-base because they are tired of being the performers to the rest of us. They are often brutal personalities, and it seems to be a chore to them to behave nicely.

Last edited by sleepy; 02-28-2015 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:43 AM

LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, today was my first day of living in a world without Mr. Spock in it. It felt weird. I think I've seen that "debate" before. It's hard to go wrong with John DeLancie!
Just two weeks ago, William Shatner and Bruce Campbell were in Madison with me! Well... we were all in the same city. It was some sort of Comicon thing. I was soclose to going but, Jeezus, the prices! Like $20 to get in, $10 to look at Shatner, $90 for an autograph and on and on and on. I've come to grips with my "nerdness" over the years (don't start, nic!), but it wasn't until then that I realized that I've become something our society has yet to see... a Grumpy Old Nerd. "Back in my day, we were lucky to get Spock's father to show up at our conventions! But, back then, it only cost a nickel and a stick of butter to touch him anywhere you wanted to!"
Old 02-28-2015, 07:34 AM
Pinball Wizard

Then I have to say I was blessed by Mr. Nimoy showing up at a local bus stop one day several years ago, but I had nothing to say and he was representing my folks by his presence. Uhhh...

Else, he was only there to ride the bus!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Yuh-huh. Are you sure he wasn't driving the limo you were riding in?

The Following User Says Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
sleepy (03-01-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Pinball Wizard

He wasn't driving that day. He was headed north or northwest from the studios.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
I noticed with my music embeds that most people won't follow a link. They prefer to watch or listen to the embeds. But from my days on dial-up, I know what you mean.
I'm glad I'm on broadband now. Sorry about that rib.
what rib...? is anyone in the country still on dial up at this point? zoiks!

i guess i must be the outlier, then. i like a nice flat link because as long as the poster has made clear what it is, i know whether to follow it or not. i don't need a bunch of embeds in my face yelping for attention.

altho gotta admit... seeing a bunch of big black blocks (say it 10x fast) in threads like this is almost intriguing in a 2001 kind of way.

Quote:
And hey. The shitty Firefox behavior. On my XP ODS (Old Dog System), it was the ADB Helper that was the problem. If your Firefox is running poorly, open the Add-On manager, click the Extensions, find the ADB Helper and Nuke it. It belongs to Android and Firefox OS devices. And I don't know why it would be installed on an XP system unless it functions as a bridge to your Android devices via Bluetooth or whatever. But without it, everything is working great. I was able to play the YouTube for Black Sabbath/Paranoid HD without a glitch!
thanks, but i never did use ADB helper and it's been many years since i ran XP.

sleepy, somehow you seem to be conflating my windows situation with my android situation. maybe i explained it poorly. so i'll try one last time, and please bear in mind i'm not asking for help but for whatever understanding you can muster:

WINDOWS
- i run a pretty tight ship so do not automatically run scripts on FF. (i use noscript extension)
- the embedded tube videos require the ytimg.com script to display and be playable.
- ytimg.com also causes me a lot of problems even though i run the latest portable apps build of FF, therefore i rarely enable ytimg.com.
- you may be saying to yourself: "but ike, why don't you just do research on what the problem is with ytimg.com script in FF!"
- thing is, that same script also enables a lot of unwanted ads and spam on my news / email site. therefore motivation is pretty much nil on that issue.

ANDROID
- running the latest chrome, embeds display correctly. they also tend to slow things down when i play them.
- AFAIK i know this is not at all unique to android or mobile platforms. it happens in a variety of situations when a device is overloaded, typically by in-browser web apps. in other words it's not so much a chrome / android / slow device issue as it is a mobile optimisation issue.
- any site that has significant mobile traffic tends to produce a streamlined version for mobile users. it's just common sense and increasingly typical.
- this site seems to be running an older vB package (only security updates are refreshed, it looks like).
- therefore ppl who hit this site with mobile devices seem to be, unfortunately, not getting the streamlined (mobile) version of the site.
- now, you might also be saying to yourself: "well, bill isn't complaining about slowdown, so why are YOU?"
- bill is special... he's using an ipad. he's the guy wearing the laurel wreath, buxom lasses sprawled at his feet, idly tossing grapes and figs in to his merlot-redolent maw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PN.ytimg.com.script.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	6519  
Old 02-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Pinball Porcupine

point is-- when you embed a video you make it far more complicated for me to view, rather than otherwise.

but, wait! here's a thought... when embedding a video, could you post the directlink right underneath?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Pinball Wizard

Oh no. No conflating. The FF issues that I have are ongoing with the ancient system that I'm using. Would figuring out how to make the black boxes also function as a clickable link to the YouTube page be of interest to you? Are the embedded players, or black boxes, causing issues without clicking them?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Pinball Wizard

Heh. Or include the link above the embedded player?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
Oh no. No conflating. The FF issues that I have are ongoing with the ancient system that I'm using. Would figuring out how to make the black boxes also function as a clickable link to the YouTube page be of interest to you? Are the embedded players, or black boxes, causing issues without clicking them?
no, sleepy... i didn't say i had the FF issues for the reason why you're apparently having your FF issues. i said i was having them for the reasons i mentioned... in pretty exhaustive detail, i think.

yes, i already said that i know how to discover what's lurking behind the black boxes, just that it kills a lot of the momentum.

no... again... the 'black boxes' are not causing issues in FF in and of themselves.

anyway, pardon me... i'm going to go take a break and go indulge one of my favorite pastimes for a bit. seeya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8
Old 03-01-2015, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Credits: 138,460.64
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

How about Patti!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IXR5AEzUNI
Old 03-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Administrator

StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

So how about something more Aussie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k7O...FDBFD1892A80DC

Still recall seeing this band live, free entry at the local 15 years ago or so and she played mighty fine fiddle too and all, her voice was was sweeter still..
The Following User Says Thank You to StevOz For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Really and is there nothing these girls can't do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snNX...2A80DC&index=8

Quote:

The Waifs are a folk rock band from Western Australia. The original members of The Waifs are Josh Cunningham (guitar, vocals), and sisters Vikki Thorn (harmonica, guitar, vocals) and Donna Simpson (guitar, vocals). Their current tour band also includes Ben Franz (bass) and David Ross MacDonald (drums). Their 2003 album Up All Night reached double platinum in Australia and reached the top five of the Australian album charts, and the band won four ARIA Awards in October 2003. The Waifs have enjoyed two top fifty singles in Australia, London Still in 2002 and Bridal Train in 2004. The band so impressed Bob Dylan when they supported him on his 2003 Australian tour that he asked them to join him in his 2003 North American tour, including a gig at the Newport Folk Festival The Waifs co-own the independent label Jarrah Records with John Butler, and their records are released in Australia under that label.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevOz For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (03-01-2015), sleepy (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 AM

Thank god, Steve... I was afraid it was gonna be Kylie Minogue. Isn't it a law that you have to post one of her videos? I dig that Waifs sound. Here's my favorite Aussie country gal.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Pinball Porcupine

thanks for posting the links, steve. i'm not a huge fan of indy folk pop, but that was a cut above i'd say. also, very cool to hear it in an aussie accent instead of the usual warmed-over american style.

bill-- thanks for adding to my collection of 2001 monoliths.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 02:33 AM

Sorry... can't help it! When that embedding works, it's the coolest thing since sliced bread!
Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 AM
Pinball Porcupine

looks like we'll be spending lots of time in future talking about stanley kubrick.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:08 AM
Administrator

How about some J rock 'n' pop then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EDvabyo620
Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM

I think that, when it comes to Japanese rock, I prefer my girl band to be a little more DIY. Like the three girls who went to a Ramones concert and thought it'd be a great idea to form a band. Just like in America. I'll make this embed-friendly, so Nic can watch it on his IBM Selectric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KT8bTRN73E