Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Soap Box

The Soap Box A place to debate life and such, the former Junkyard has been merged into this category.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 18,097.05
catkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockman View Post
He also made a global warming thread which he knew would be heated.
Har! How did everyone miss THAT pun?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 256,140.85
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Har! How did everyone miss THAT pun?
nobody missed it. it was simply microscopic compared to all the other humor going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
ValamirCleaver (12-04-2008)
Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of light

Unfortunately, I can remember being 18 months old or thereabouts, lying on my back in my crib looking up at the ceiling, falling asleep on and off, pulling off my wet diapers thinking they stunk, so I pulled them back on.

I don't remember any time before then, though I do remember waking up hungry a couple times and not caring about it, as long as I was allowed to go back to sleep. Food had no meaning then, other than something to do before going back to sleep.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:32 PM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 100,178.01
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice

Now, after almost eight years, Obama's legacy sure is a mixed bag. I have never felt so conflicted and kinda sickened. Some initial slow improvement and peace during his first term. Then the same old 'Pay all sides of some brown nations to fight among them selves' as the cornerstone of his second stint. I am so sick of the international intrigue and manipulation. Not to mention pumping up tons of phony terrorism stories, over here and over there, to further his fucktarded goals...And I consider myself a supporter.

When Lit
The Following User Says Thank You to Coil_Smoke For This Useful Post:
pinballdaveh (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 256,140.85
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

i don't know how much choice obama had about a lot of his policies, particularly with a congress whose main goal seemed to be in gridlock above all else. in spite of that, it sounds like he managed to get some things done.

for example, the pedal-to-the-metal bailouts of the financial markets turned out to be a massive success that not only wound up turning a tidy profit, but arguably prevented a total collapse. that's a pretty big honking deal, if you ask me.

anyway, i think the two biggest mistakes obama made were in 1) spending virtually his entire popularity and cachet on a watered-down healthcare system guaranteed to please almost nobody, and 2) allowing this valerie jarrett woman to dominate his council so completely, from what i've read. seriously... her level of power and access is disturbing, and it seemed to create an 'us against the world' mentality that we had already just suffered through eight years of with bush junior.

i think the big problem with today's presidency is that it's practically a hopeless job. there are a lot of very serious problems around the world that need to be addressed years ago, but the office is not much better than being that of a 'big persuader' from analysis i've read.

IMO the real problem is this-- if citizens have gotten used to living at a certain level of privilege and luxury and refuse to willingly give it up, then the president is barely going to be even a relevant persuader. it will therefore be the lobbies that make congress dance for us by proxy. meanwhile, the earth's resources will continue to be plundered, pollution of various kinds will continue to have a huge impact, and our military and policy-making will be forced to throw its weight around in order to protect our interests across the world.

now we're heading towards a situation in which a monkey with a bad wig will quite possibly be the new ringmaster. that's an even worse outlook, because that's not only the type that will probably get little of note done, but will make additional, unneeded blunders that just make the whole situation worse.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of light

What Obamacare did for the poor in California is, the State took its moderately-comprehensive Medicaid program (Medi-Cal) and downsized it to the level of substandard Indigent care. The same decrepit indigent program for the homeless that was created in the 1940's.
What was once a competent dental program of fillings with a one year wait for dentures is now Extractions-Only and No Dentures. What was once a program that allowed the clients to see a private doctor and get the needed care is now HMO-Managed by The State from a schedule of fixated treatments and prescriptions with very limited or no options for substitutions as needed by the patients.

The #1 cost of health care to The State is the overhead. The personnel and staff on the job 24/7 collecting the taxes and not doing the work.

The poor can now call the paramedics without fear of the bill, and people are definitely taking advantage of that development. I've been hearing 5+ times the sirens going to the hospital up the street since Obamacare. Their beds are constantly booked full.
Just to get lip service.

Last edited by sleepy; 01-25-2016 at 10:34 PM.