Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Soap Box

The Soap Box A place to debate life and such, the former Junkyard has been merged into this category.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 253,521.33
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all
Default Robin Williams

&$^*# jesus.

from an interview in warhol's mag i'd read some years back, i was worried that something like this might happen. that is, he seemed like someone who needed to be performing at all times, otherwise to fall in to quick misery. just harsh.

i guess it's cliche to say, but i thought he really took the performance bar higher with his mork character. of course i also liked him in good morning vietnam, goodwill hunting, popeye and other stuff, but when he was allowed to go nuts on a light leash seemed to be when he was best.

RIP brother

EDIT: just occurred to me that he also did that comedic movie about surviving the holocaust, i think? (never saw)

Last edited by Ike Savage; 08-11-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of light

What? Again?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of light

He just lost his t.v. series recently. And I watched "When Dreams May Come" last year. A dramatic performance that is now very disturbing in light of the outcome.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Pinball Wizard

A very odd thread from IMDB on the subject of that movie. I wonder who posted it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120889/...read/231545481
Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Pinball Wizard

The Sheriffs are saying that he was found asphyxiated.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
A very odd thread from IMDB on the subject of that movie. I wonder who posted it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120889/...read/231545481
odd...?? er, AFAIK that's how many of us in chronic pain feel.

i mean, living in relentless pain / weakness is little contest upon the import of pushing an ultimately meaningless age stat. like where exactly is the rich payoff, sleepy?

myself, i hang on for friends and family. i like them, they like me... i don't want to ever hurt them by petty selfishness. so i keep hanging on. but speaking as a buddhist in particular... god and buddha can smooch my ruby red rump, the both of them!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Pinball Wizard

Yeah, I support euthanasia for permanent debility, but only that. But given the thread topic to the specific movie and its plot line may be foreshadowing something in the poster's near future. I was thinking about the pseudonyms that we use on the Net, and that projects are often personal for the artist, long after they are completed, or when they may again "become relevant" to same.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Faralos

Credits: 124,627.30
faralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura about

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/showbi...williams-dead/

(CNN) -- Oscar-winning actor and comedian Robin Williams apparently took his own life
at his Northern California home Monday, law enforcement officials said. Williams was 63.
"He has been battling severe depression of late," his media representative Mara Buxbaum told CNN.
"This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time."
Coroner investigators suspect "the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia,"
according to a statement from the Marin County, California, Sheriff's Office.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WILLIAMS-obit-superJumbo.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	6322  
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Pinball Wizard

His Twitter account is already offline. Sounds like the authorities are looking at it for clues.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Yeah, I support euthanasia for permanent debility, but only that. But given the thread topic to the specific movie and its plot line may be foreshadowing something in the poster's near future. I was thinking about the pseudonyms that we use on the Net, and that projects are often personal for the artist, long after they are completed, or when they may again "become relevant" to same.
um... not sure i quite get you, mate. i was mainly saying i understood robin in a couple key ways. that is, it can be a painful slog when it comes to a certain psychology of being.

also when pain is consistently worse than the joy of being, that seems like a pretty understandable time to say goodbye.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 47,948.77
mrschultz will become famous soon enoughmrschultz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post
also when pain is consistently worse than the joy of being, that seems like a pretty understandable time to say goodbye.
That's about the worst possible way to talk about depression. It's not an incurable disease, even though it feels that way when you are in it. Way too many people end their lives thinking things will never get better.

For incurable stuff I'm not against assisted suicide, but only in cases where there is no chance that someone's quality of life could improve with treatment.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Pinball Wizard

I do think that the psychological pains are largely due to listening to the wrong people.
When those who vex miserable get on me, I like to just let go for awhile.
And usually, I can then identify that it is coming from within them and not from me.
Poor Robin was dependent on the approval of others as an actor, or felt that.
But he didn't need to.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:40 AM
Pinball Wizard

Hey. The new Thor has tits!
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschultz View Post
That's about the worst possible way to talk about depression. It's not an incurable disease, even though it feels that way when you are in it. Way too many people end their lives thinking things will never get better.

For incurable stuff I'm not against assisted suicide, but only in cases where there is no chance that someone's quality of life could improve with treatment.
you have no idea, mate. i'm not talking about occasional or even off-and-on depression... i'm talking about life-long steady depression and/or chronic pain and disability from organic disease.

i certainly agree, especially for young folks, that transitory depression... like from a terrible breakup or loss of career or something... is often overestimated by these kids. they don't necessarily have the experience to understand how much time can heal wounds, and how we can usually grow out of our loss / suffering and become better people. indeed, there's a lot of tragedy there.

but time doesn't heal all wounds, and we're talking about some very different forms of illness.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Inserted Coin

mrschultz will become famous soon enoughmrschultz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post
you have no idea, mate.
You're very wrong about that.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Pinball Wizard

But then I would want to be around for the end of the world if I can.
Because it makes no difference when the time comes, it is the same difference.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 PM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 209,595.39
LeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really nice

RIP Robin Williams. You were a giant pussy. For people who battle depression without the extra added assistance of being rich a couple of times over, Mork's suicide leaves somewhat of a bitter taste. I would rather celebrate the people that decide to live through their disease, the ones who can't afford to see a psychiatrist more than twice a year, the people whose only mental health lifeline are teaching colleges in which therapists rotate in and out at a high rate. So, yeah... fuck Mork. Here's to the Losers... the ones still alive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7KnYd4Qk6c
Old 08-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Faralos

faralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura about

I agree suicide is the easy way out imo
I suffer from sever clinical depression, anxiety, PTSD, and hyperactiveness
but the Pills I take for the depression (prozac) really do help
they take a while to build up though like three days
but depression while not altogether curable for some people
is something that with the proper meds can be controlled/helped
course I also see a therapist weekly and a shrink monthly so they help too
but to me there's always a way before thinking of taking ones own life
so he chickened out imo but I do miss him from his Garp days
to Dead Poets Society to Good Will Hunting
he showed he could do it all from stand up raunchy comedy
to serious roles (What Dreams May Come is a decent flick imo)
just remember to skip over the crap like Mork and Mindy and Popeye
R.I.P. Robin Williams we'll miss you...
Old 08-13-2014, 12:23 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
You're very wrong about that.
i highly doubt that... otherwise you would have had at least a partial foot... perhaps a complicated, debatable foot... in to the matter of chronic disease / depression.

hey, you want a challenge upon life, dude... try this out:

- mom was dying of stress, smoking it up, and aborted me early in lima, peru
- docs preserved me in some kind of incubator thing for a month, lest i be a stillborn stat
- i still developed in to a somewhat intelligent being, but also someone with consistent learning deficiencies across the balance of life. e.g. i score very high on certain tests... like a dunce on others.
- in any case, mom did recover, then divorced my latino dad and moved back to CLE
- in CLE i was starting to get healthy and recover, but mom apparently couldn't stand her parents spoiling me, so she moved me out to an apt
- a year or two later, she married an engineer dude who didn't want kids, and they moved out to philly
- from 7yo i was cut off from the parents or GP's who did care about me, but labored under the real-world situation of a parent and a step-parent who found me highly inconvenient.... pretty-much raining upon my ego and self-respect over time... over many, many years

- unfortunately i also developed my mom's family disease of difficult-to-treat hypothyroidism from an early age, and have been exhausted and in pain from my teens
- FF in to middle-adulthood: my limbs constantly ache, my energy is a joke, my career is gone, my family possibility is gone... all i have left is the fact that i take care of myself and my diet like few in modern history... yet that also leads to me looking chronically young and healthy.
- do you know the best way to earn sympathy, dude? --that's right, get beat up by process du jour, fisticuffs or anything that gets a nod.
- do you know the WORST way to engender understanding about your life and condition...? that's right-- look young for your age and healthy, and watch how many people call you a slacker and/or gamer upon the system.

dude, i work my ass off to eat right and very painstakingly, and i've had to give up about 75% of the food that americans typically treat themselves to. but even so, my arteries and veins are filling up with plaque and eventually i'm bound for a heart or stroke event despite my very best efforts.

sure, there are people who have a very wet paw in to these matters and there are ppl who have it much worse than me... but, really? what would you like to educate me upon in this arena, mister schultz? do tell, sir...
Old 08-13-2014, 12:57 AM
Inserted Coin

List all the shit you want, I'm not going to list mine. As I clearly said before, I'm talking about depression, not physical issues.

This is a public place, saying suicide is OK is not something anyone should do. If you really have been close to doing it you should know better than to say that. And if you've known nice people that have done it you certainly wouldn't.

And people talking shit about "taking the easy way out" is obscene, there's nothing easy about it. Fucking bunch of assholes.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:05 AM
Pinball Wizard

Hey Ike. You should know that you aren't responsible for the mistakes that others make. And yet I still feel empathy for those folks, but I let go when it becomes a tool for them to zap by. Don't let the past control you just because they meant to.

I often find that I'm holding tension in my feet for nothing. I'll have to remind me to relax that.
Your liver is your friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 02:08 AM
Pinball Wizard

I saw something about Robin Williams having financial problems.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:28 AM
Pinball Wizard

Oh yeah. I once had Cher step in as a GP under an assumed name at the local public hospital.
I was there suffering vertigo from an ear infection. The world was upside-down.
I had to take the bus to get there.
She faked the exam in a blond wig and made up shit about being a case of "positional vertigo due to crystal formations" and gave me no antibiotics.
I don't argue with 'the docs' out there. The psych ward is next door and they threw me there once after I complained of throwing up blood from an ulcer. They of course never tested for the ulcer. Another hospital did a short time later,
and they found it. Duh.

As for the vertigo, I had a stash of Erythromycin at home, but I wanted a positive diagnosis and advice before taking it. I didn't get any from Cher as phony doc, so I gambled. I took the stash. The vertigo vanished within an hour.
But the erythromycin was murder on my ulcer.

Years before that run-in, when I was working at Warners, there was a dude there who was a muse for the Sinatra family. He said that he met Cher.
He said Cher was a bitch.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 9,912.51
Shooby Doo will become famous soon enough

Suffering is both subjective and relative to the individual. You can't really know what another person is experiencing based on your own experiences. Some peoples lowest moments are others peoples normal moments. That doesn't mean one person has it better than another. Peoples tolerance to pain varies greatly, and it doesn't make someone a wus, it's simply relative to their life experiences. Rich & famous people suffer just as much as "regular" people, having money and opportunities doesn't make all your feelings constantly positive. Also, these people have to put on a face and have an image to uphold. You didn't ever see Williams sad or serious, he was silly 99% of the time, except when he was acting, yet we know he was suffering greatly.

I've had/have my own time with depression. Meditation & ganja has helped me a lot, it's not debilitating anymore, but it never fully goes away, and I understand that and realize I've got to cope with it until I'm dead. That's all I got.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shooby Doo For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (08-13-2014), LeeVanCleef (08-14-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Pinball Wizard

Waiting for the absurdity to kick in, unless it is caused by somebody dumping on me.
Deliberate shit has to be avoided.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
List all the shit you want, I'm not going to list mine. As I clearly said before, I'm talking about depression, not physical issues.

This is a public place, saying suicide is OK is not something anyone should do. If you really have been close to doing it you should know better than to say that. And if you've known nice people that have done it you certainly wouldn't.

And people talking shit about "taking the easy way out" is obscene, there's nothing easy about it. Fucking bunch of assholes.
first of all, i'm sorry for going overboard and rambly. i got home from practice, totally beat, aching... treated myself to a couple drinks and went a bit strong with them.

re: the physical stuff,
with myself and probably many, it has direct tie-in to depression. that was a big point i was trying to make... although i went too far with details and not enough with clarity, i guess.

re: "suicide is OK,"
that's out of context with regard to what i said and i must say i don't appreciate it.

re: "suicide is taking the easy way out,"
totally agreed. ppl without empathy, i guess. maybe some projection going on, too. apparently williams' daughter is getting bullied hard by internet assholes and has had to withdraw from social media.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby Doo View Post
Suffering is both subjective and relative to the individual. You can't really know what another person is experiencing based on your own experiences. Some peoples lowest moments are others peoples normal moments. That doesn't mean one person has it better than another. Peoples tolerance to pain varies greatly, and it doesn't make someone a wus, it's simply relative to their life experiences. Rich & famous people suffer just as much as "regular" people, having money and opportunities doesn't make all your feelings constantly positive. Also, these people have to put on a face and have an image to uphold. You didn't ever see Williams sad or serious, he was silly 99% of the time, except when he was acting, yet we know he was suffering greatly.

I've had/have my own time with depression. Meditation & ganja has helped me a lot, it's not debilitating anymore, but it never fully goes away, and I understand that and realize I've got to cope with it until I'm dead. That's all I got.
i like that. myself i've slacked on meditation, last couple of months. OTOH a big lebowski-inspired yoga studio (of all things!) just opened nearby, so i've started yoga classes for the first time in decades.

carrie fisher gave some interesting thoughts on williams. apparently he just couldn't accept his bipolar disorder... at least when the two had a deep talk one day.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/carrie-...639993537.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Faralos

also ya' gotta realize that most successful comics have had bad upbringings
they turn their despair into comedy for the rest of us
to not worry of our own miserable lives for as while
but often they have issues of their own (Freddy Prince,
Chris Farley, etc.) and try not to let it show since we tend to view comics
as the golden word in entertainment and god forbid if they let is down when they show weakness
RIP Robin Williams we miss you already
Old 08-14-2014, 10:34 AM
appropriate at this time

Credits: 68,373.00
Shockman will become famous soon enoughShockman will become famous soon enough

If you have had severe depression, your reaction, upon hearing Robin did, might be "Oh."

If not your reaction might still be "Why?"

He was often great and funny, but his general character did not fit an old man in my opinion. Perhaps he felt the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shockman For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (08-16-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 08:16 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 209,595.39
LeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really niceLeeVanCleef is just really nice

Now there's the revelation that Robin Williams had Parkinson's disease and took, as Mr. Schultz said, "the easy way out." Yes, I'm saying Robin Williams did take the easy way out... compared to years of suffering from Parkinson's that loomed ahead of him and makes his death at his own hands understandable, even relatable. That brings us back to the topic of euthanasia that was touched on earlier in this thread. When you're diagnosed with a incurable disease like Parkinson's, when should you be allowed to throw up your hands and quit? Robin chose his moment. It's to the detriment of our society that he was forced to use such a crude and unsure method.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (08-16-2014), sleepy (08-16-2014)