Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Soap Box

The Soap Box A place to debate life and such, the former Junkyard has been merged into this category.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 105,478.30
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice
Default I've Seen The Future And...

I've just seen the future and it is going to be made out of graphite!
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...oofinance&_r=0

When Lit
Old 04-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 269,668.64
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

graphene... use it as pencil lead for the strongest, deadliest pencils ever. just don't expect to write with them, though!

seriously-- pretty amazing range of applications. i'd heard about the stuff sometime back, but didn't realise it had all these amazing uses. now if they can just use the atmosphere as the carbon source, it will be cause for massive celebration...
Old 04-14-2014, 04:02 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

From the above article:
Quote:
Last year, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation paid for the development of a graphene-based condom...

Perhaps Bill is overpowered?

But, this graphine is the hardest known material. Harder than diamonds.
Before we start making popsicle sticks and gum wrappers out of it,
I would hope they have a means in place to decompose those Bill Gates condoms. What a mess otherwise!

Last edited by sleepy; 04-14-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Pinball Pusher

Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post
graphene... now if they can just use the atmosphere as the carbon source, it will be cause for massive celebration...
Brilliant...

When Lit
Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Pinball Pusher

Lightbulb Low Calorie Snack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
From the above article:

But, this graphine is the hardest known material. Harder than diamonds.
Before we start making popsicle sticks and gum wrappers out of it,
I would hope they have a means in place to decompose those Bill Gates condoms. What a mess otherwise!
Just seeing a Bill Gate condom will prevent pregnancy.

I think I once heard that diamonds actually burn in open air if heated to around 1000F. let's hope this graphene stuff can be incinerated or maybe you could eat it ?

When Lit
The Following User Says Thank You to Coil_Smoke For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

No. No way. I don't want to smell some guy's burning condom.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Credits: 122,907.74
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Seems like it has some interesting properties...

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/...s-electricity/

Scaled up as a tidal or wave power generator would be an ideal application.

Then again perhaps wearing one of Bills condoms in the ocean may provide cheap thrills!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coil_Smoke View Post
Just seeing a Bill Gate condom will prevent pregnancy.

I think I once heard that diamonds actually burn in open air if heated to around 1000F. let's hope this graphene stuff can be incinerated or maybe you could eat it ?
sort of a paradigm of civilisation's problems-- like, with every new invention, the urge to apply it in a hundred million ways is enormous, while the urge for caution and study upon the fallout is almost nonexistent.

IMO this is why civilisation is always forced to play catch-up against itself, which is also a chronically failing equation. (meh, sorry... i'm periodically in a bad mood about... stuff)
Old 04-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Pinball Pusher

Yeah, cold hard facts will do that to a person...

When Lit
Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 42,233.35
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
For just an additional $19.95, you can get the new Micro-Gates condom sterilizer.....if you call RIGHT NOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coil_Smoke View Post
or maybe you could eat it ?
I don't think they make strong enough salt.....and anyway, it's bound to be an Immunity challenge on Survivor Burbank, right?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Pinball Wizard

Yeah GS, the government might give away the condom, but require reusable condoms.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:23 PM
appropriate at this time

Credits: 72,509.57
Shockman will become famous soon enoughShockman will become famous soon enough

Intel is downplaying graphene as a replacement publicly, but the general consensus is that the motive is to gain an advantage.

It's like the oil companies when it comes to alternatives there except this would not kill tech companies, just disrupt there installation.

The installation does kill urgency, and it will be some time before a product, but research is wide spread and the giants could not drop the ball, regardless of their long term plans without this concept.

They site state switching, though that seems to have been worked out, and their position could have changed for all I know. Perhaps nanotubes will be used for the transitions and graphene for the pathways. The strength is not the issue as far as use as transitors, though the ruggedness probably is, but I don't think anything including graphene could beat nano carbon for density. From what I understand, graphene is about as 2D as you can get, and nanotubes are 3D and prescaled.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Pinball Wizard

Graphene is transparent like glass.
It certainly would be an advantage to Intel if they are looking to use it for manufacturing Optical Computers. Shockman, you mentioned nanotubes.
Are you referring to optical computers?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 AM
appropriate at this time

I was talking about them as super conductors. They are nano scale fiber optics though.

I'm too lay to expect anything, but suspect it would be some hybrid.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Pinball Porcupine

looks like there is a problem with graphene-- researchers are so far unable to manufacturer it without some tiny cracks, and anything but perfect graphene turns out to be as brittle as ceramic:
http://www.livescience.com/45216-gra...iscovered.html

on the bright side, this conductor applications still seem okay.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Pinball Wizard

Hmmm...I wonder if subjecting the material to ultrasonic energy during production would shake out any impurities, or whether the cracks are an inherent problem in a pure graphene?

Ultrasonic frequencies are very good at shaking out unwanted gasses in other materials. It can be used to produce unbelievably great cheeses,
by shaking out bitter gases. And it can be used to purify plastics.

Oxygen or nitrogen gasses may be the culprit.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Pinball Porcupine

if you can solve this problem and register the patents, sounds like you could be the next megabillionaire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
sleepy (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:13 PM
appropriate at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post
looks like there is a problem with graphene-- researchers are so far unable to manufacturer it without some tiny cracks, and anything but perfect graphene turns out to be as brittle as ceramic:
http://www.livescience.com/45216-gra...iscovered.html

on the bright side, this conductor applications still seem okay.
I think those researchers might be so far unable to manufacturer it without some tiny cracks, but it can be done.

I don't believe graphene is brittle. In fact it is elastic. There will be a lot said about it that is going to be untrue, and it will be financially motivated and not fact driven. Like what the timber industry said about hemp, the oil industry said about alternative fuels, etc.

Everything has a breaking point though. Since we are talking about an atom thick sheet that can be picked up without breaking, it's not to say it can not be broken, so a substrate is a given. Probably a hexagonal boron nitride, I read, but it could be a number of things.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Pinball Wizard

It might be made 4 atoms thick from a 3D printer.
I'm guessing the quick and dirty fix would be to do that, based on the Nyquist Theory of digital wave sampling. That it takes a minimum of 2 samples to represent one cycle of an undulating waveform.

Except here, it would be used to compensate for the single density cracks.
And since a crack in a single atomic density of material is a hole,
not a crack.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 PM
appropriate at this time

I've been meaning to read up on the Nyquist Theory of digital wave sampling.

Columbia University mechanical engineering professor James Hone once said it is “so strong it would take an elephant, balanced on a pencil, to break through a sheet of graphene the thickness of Saran Wrap,” according to the university.

http://gigaom.com/2013/07/15/what-is...-next-silicon/

Last edited by Shockman; 04-30-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 AM
Pinball Porcupine

well, you never know where an extra sheet might be hanging out.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Pinball Wizard

The only problem with Nyquist is that two samples per cycle of a waveform, say at 22,050 Hz., is insufficient for any waveform other than a square wave, either straight up at a relative output of 1 volt or straight down at a relative 0 (zero) volt. Any complex waveform might instead use a minimum of 16 samples to represent one waveform frequency cycle divided into segments of 22.5 degrees each.
When combined in the analog output, the total number of angles would equal 360 degrees, similar to one complete rotation of a Flipper in Visual Pinball. The maximum number of degrees in one frequency cycle is 360.
Nyquist might apply per degree of cycle; that the most accurate digital-to-analog conversion would require two samples per degree.

The rule of thumb is, with a fixed sampling rate, the higher the audio frequency, the fewest number of samples produced per cycle of audio frequency. The lowest bass frequencies then have the largest number of samples per cycle.
Due to the extra number of samples, many of these bass frequency samples are redundant and offer no change in the output waveform, which was part of the reason for developing the Squawk and Talk compression system, to cut down and compress the number of redundant samples as the cost of memory was exorbitant in '79-'80.

Last edited by sleepy; 05-01-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:43 PM
appropriate at this time

Quote:
It might be made 4 atoms thick from a 3D printer.
I'm guessing the quick and dirty fix would be to do that, based on the Nyquist Theory of digital wave sampling. That it takes a minimum of 2 samples to represent one cycle of an undulating waveform.

Except here, it would be used to compensate for the single density cracks.
And since a crack in a single atomic density of material is a hole,
not a crack.

The whole point is to make it two layers of single atom thick with a another single atom, more or (I almost typed less) equal thick material between. I would imagine, though I have not read, that it will be held in a bracket, with a third material basically as just something to clamp onto.

I have not read a good analogy as to how strong a single atom thick sheet is. The elephant on a pencil breaking through a sheet the thickness of plastic wrap is talking about a sheet that is hundreds of thousands of atoms thick (a sheet of notebook paper is about one million). I know you can pick it up and wave it at least a bit, but I wonder if you could poke a hole in it with your finger.

And don't worry. It's not going to be cracked and it's not going to become cracked.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Pinball Pusher

How many atoms of carbon does it take to make a graphite molecule? Maybe the closest you could get to a 2 dimensional sheet has to be at least one molecule thick? What is it about carbon that forms such powerful bonds to another carbon atom? I would love to have a sheet of this tough stuff just few molecules thick. could a bullet proof vest be as thin as a piece of paper? How about an indestructible 12 inch record that can not be scratched?

When Lit
Old 05-07-2014, 07:33 PM
appropriate at this time

No matter how many atoms are in a graphite structure, it is one molecule. Graphene as well, but the structure is different.

Graphite is a layered structure of graphene but the bonds between the layers are weak, and that is why one atom thick graphene is stronger than multi-layered graphite.

That is why pencil lead can be smeared, why you can more easily smear it, the thicker it is, but not so easily the thin lines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shockman For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (05-09-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 08:20 PM
Pinball Wizard

The Graphine Report, for Saturday, May 31, 2014:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/why-you-n...271772974.html
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (06-03-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Pinball Wizard

Well...

This site is now reporting that Cadmium Arsenide is "the next wonder material" because, unlike 2D graphene, cadmium arsenide is a 3D material which may be better suited for transistors.

This is almost nothing new as Gallium Arsenide transistors have been in use for decades as microwave/UHF transistors. All the same,
I wouldn't want to have any of it for dinner.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/03/g...=rss_truncated
Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 AM
Pinball Porcupine

i saw in the news yesterday that the first commercial graphene product was coming out in the UK later this year.

it's an LED bulb with a graphene coating around the LED portion. somehow this makes the bulb shed more light, last longer, be cheaper to produce, and be better recyclable.

a little bit of a high-end product because LED bulbs apparently cost around 15. still...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (04-09-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Pinball Wizard

The graphene is probably operating as a gridded filter to space out the light rays and prevent destructive interference, resulting in greater useable output.
By comparison, a hologram is produced when the reference beam of general laser light intersects the subject beam which bounces off the subject and back to the photographic plate. Both beams of light meet at the photographic plate at angles which then reinforce the light rays, or interfere with each other causing Destructive Interference.

Anytime you have copious production of light rays, the mass volume of rays may interfere with themselves, resulting in less useable output. This also happens when light rays bounce off a soft pitted texture and into themselves causing phase attenuation (partial cancellation) or phase cancellation (total) at the ray-to-ray or pixel-to-pixel level.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (04-09-2015), Ike Savage (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Pinball Porcupine

wow, i think i actually get that. light waves having a particle-aspect such as they do...