Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 10-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 40,496.67
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy's Sister View Post
Gregg - I was reading an article about the care and feeding of horned lizards, and...your instinct about ants as a food source sounds right on the money.
My 'instinct' was based merely on their being plentiful, which would become apparent if you stood too long in one place
Quote:
...when I lived in West Texas, I often encountered scorpions, rattlesnakes, roadrunners, and tarantulas...
I'm not an arachnophile, or a lover of venomous snakes, and can't keep up with a roadrunner...but Vietnam gave me all of the scorpions I want. Rather than have us try to launder fatigues in a helmet full of water, Quartermaster Laundry was instituted; when the chopper/s brought out a clean load, we'd take off our less-than-fresh articles, throw them into a pile, and tear into the Clean Pile as though it was 50%-Off Day at Wal-Mart. 'First come-first served' was the rule, and those of us who were pulling guard duty got the last pick; I wound up with button-fly pants---with one button missing. In the morning, the inside of my left knee blew up like someone extinguished a cigar on it, and after whacking my leg several times to neutralize the 'ant' that was probably responsible (they got some BIG ants over there), three more 'cigars' got put out (with strength diminishing, thankfully).

So I slowly rolled the pantleg down so as not to miss the 'ant' again, and encountered a brown scorpion about 2 to 2-1/2 inches plus tail, perched atop the boot where the pantleg bloused into it. A whack from behind sent him into a tree trunk, and the same boot made certain he wouldn't sneak through a button gap again.

In almost forty-nine years, I have neither played with scorpions...nor so much as tried on button-fly pants. (Forget) THAT!
Quote:
...the ant survived and the scorpion did not.
Too bad ants are communists; I'll bet that one passed up quite a feast!

Quote:
We gave Arne a ticket to the Eagles concert at the Forum in Los Angeles, as a Christmas present, but he ended up being too sick to go.
Arne chronicled his experience with that one (specifically posts # 19, 25 & 28 ):

The Eagles, The Return of The Fabulous Forum, and THe Los Angeles Shopping Bag Ban - Pinball Nirvana Forums The Eagles, The Return of The Fabulous Forum, and THe Los Angeles Shopping Bag Ban - Pinball Nirvana Forums

And in case you'd like to hear Arne in composition mode, but don't have these yet:

Pop in once in a while; we're bound to discover some more, eventually!

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 MessinWithTheKids.mp3 (3.33 MB, 41 views)
File Type: mp3 TheWayILikeIt.mp3 (1.41 MB, 45 views)
File Type: mp3 AClassicalRomp.mp3 (741.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: mp3 Waltz1.mp3 (2.85 MB, 40 views)
File Type: mp3 TheDoughnutMan.mp3 (1.84 MB, 36 views)
File Type: mp3 Untitled139.mp3 (580.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: mp3 Untitled137.mp3 (845.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: mp3 Another Song_0001.wmv.mp3 (5.67 MB, 36 views)

Last edited by GSGregg; 10-04-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Attachments riding too low, but won't come up---screw it
The Following User Says Thank You to GSGregg For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (10-07-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Pinball Nudger

Credits: 621.28
Sleepy's Sister will become famous soon enoughSleepy's Sister will become famous soon enough

Gregg -

Thanks for posting Arne's music. I didn't have any of those files.

Yikes!! Those Vietnamese scorpions are much larger and more venomous than the ones we had in West Texas. I bet you shook your pants out before putting them on for a long time after that experience.

I'll definitely be popping in to this site from time to time. I'm already hooked on some of the games in the arcade.

Last edited by Sleepy's Sister; 10-14-2016 at 04:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepy's Sister For This Useful Post:
GSGregg (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:12 PM
Pinball Nudger

Sleepy's Sister will become famous soon enoughSleepy's Sister will become famous soon enough

Nic-

Sorry that it has taken so long to respond. That is one beautiful lobster! I don't think I could bring myself to eat it.

The Pink Floyd concert was amazing. The special effects were impressive, and of course the music was incredible. I read that Roger Waters is planning a 40 city solo tour in 2017. He claims that it will be along the lines of Pink Floyd's big scale performances of the 70's and 80's. It could be interesting!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sleepy's Sister For This Useful Post:
GSGregg (10-14-2016), Ike Savage (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 08:49 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 258,819.49
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

waters seems to be pretty busy this year as well with the concerts. right now he's apparently brought back the giant pig and has dedicated it to donald trump, so to speak. :P

he looks quite dashing and healthy at age 73.

i only saw the floyd once, in philly. i think it was probably sans waters, after their big feud. they did put on a pretty good show, tho. unfortunately i was still a hopeless nerd at that point... hadn't even tried ganja. it could have been a pretty good makeout scene and relatively trippy experience, but i wasn't even dating either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (10-15-2016), Sleepy's Sister (10-27-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 40,496.67
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Horny Toads are definitely interesting creatures.
Here's a story about another cute little reptile.....

Crocodile Whisperer - snopes.com Crocodile Whisperer - snopes.com
Old 11-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Pinball Nudger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGregg View Post
Here's a story about another cute little reptile.....

Crocodile Whisperer - snopes.com
That is insane! Hope Chito keeps that little guy well fed.