Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Soap Box

The Soap Box A place to debate life and such, the former Junkyard has been merged into this category.

View Poll Results: Will Radio Shack Wither Away ?
Will Radio Shack Die ? 3 42.86%
Will Radio Shack Survive ? 0 0%
Do You Remember P-Box Kits? Yes 0 0%
Do You Remember P-Box Kits? No 0 0%
Did You Ever Build A P-Box Kit? Yes 0 0%
Did You Ever Build A P-Box Kit? No 0 0%
Do You Remember Lafayette Radio Electronics? Y 0 0%
Do You Remember Lafayette Radio Electronics? N 0 0%
Do You Remember Knight Kits ? Yes 0 0%
Do You Remember Knight Kits ? No 0 0%
Did You Ever Build A Knight Kit ? Yes 0 0%
Did You Ever Build A Knight Kit ? No 0 0%
Do You Remember Heath Kits ? Yes 2 28.57%
Do You Remember Heath Kits ? No 0 0%
Did You Ever Build a Heath Kit ? Yes 2 28.57%
Did You Ever Build a Heath Kit ? No 0 0%
Do You Remember Dynaco Kits? Yes 0 0%
Do You Remember Dynaco Kits? No 0 0%
Did You Ever Build A Dynaco Kit ? Yes 0 0%
Did You Ever Build A Dynaco Kit ? No 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of light

Placed order for fuses on the 30th. They arrived this morning.
I couldn't be more delighted!

The Microwave Oven Works!
And about an hour ago I tried Googling the model by the UL number, and found the mfg. Galantz. They made the Oster, and they make the RCA models. And apparently, they make all of the low cost units for other "name brands", Kenmore, etc. Hmm...

They claim to be the world's largest mfg of microwave ovens. That would be the reason why...
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (10-05-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Former Operator

Credits: 50,505.67
Itchigo will become famous soon enoughItchigo will become famous soon enough

Our microwave is 30 years old. Never had a problem since day 1. Hotpoint, parts even still available...

FREEDOM!!
Join the Rogue (A different kind of pinball site)
http://roguepinball.com/index.php
The Following User Says Thank You to Itchigo For This Useful Post:
sleepy (10-08-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of lightsleepy is a glorious beacon of light

Forbes has an article about Radio Shack, "A Great Ad Couldn't Save Radio Shack".
Pretty much what has been pointed at in this thread:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathan...e-radio-shack/
Old 10-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 100,192.47
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice
Unhappy DUMBASSES .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Forbes has an article about Radio Shack, "A Great Ad Couldn't Save Radio Shack".
Pretty much what has been pointed at in this thread:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathan...e-radio-shack/
That ad is even more proof . The powers that be at Radio Shack™ are completely clue-less. That ad actually had me confused. When I saw that ad I thought "YOU STUPID FUCKS >>> I DO WANT THE 80'S RADIO SHACK™ BACK !!! . This ad was not funny, clever or sarcastic. Just sad.
1980 was a good year for Radio Shack™. The 80's should have been the beginning of an even more diversified source of every thing electronic. That slogan "The 80's Called And They Want Their Radio Shack Back" Should be their EPITAPH.

When Lit

Last edited by Coil_Smoke; 10-07-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 256,174.90
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

i still sort of miss the trash-80's (TRS-80's) we used to program on in HS... back in the early 80's. programming is fun fun fun when you have to be clever in the face of limited memory and CPU.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Pinball Technician

Credits: 50,858.74
pinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the rough

is that the flight of the bumble-cat? you forgot the dis-claimer that no animals were hurt in the making of this video.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

everything was going great until it faced the lens!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Pinball Wizard

This is all I know.
Cats. The very things that I admire about them and would capture on camera...

...they don't do when the camera is on.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Pinball Pusher

Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice
Cool They Just Get Distracted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
This is all I know.
Cats. The very things that I admire about them and would capture on camera...

...they don't do when the camera is on.
That and...
"You Can't Do A Cat A Favor" (_S

When Lit
Old 01-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Pinball Technician

pinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the rough

my wife heard that radio shack was in the news again. something about bankruptcy again and some kind of problem with home depot. anybody else hear about it?
Old 01-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Pinball Wizard

Uh yeah. The money mad are suing Home Depot.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/zero-da...dhs-cyberfail/

Quote:
Home Depot court battle over data breach liability begins in Atlanta today: At least 44 lawsuits have been filed against The Home Depot since the home improvement giant confirmed its data breach last September. More than 30 of these have been consolidated into one court action which will be fought out in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia in Atlanta.
Unless the plaintiff has lost serious money, these lawsuits should only be for the $10 or so it cost to replace one's credit cards. Or whatever they charge for replacement.
What is the point of that, other than lawyers and mad money?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:10 PM
Pinball Wizard

RS is still chugin' along. Got this in my e-mail:

http://ebm.e.radioshack.com/c/tag/hB...CTML/doc.html?

Maybe they'll do a Circuit City or a Tower Records, close their physical locations and go "the online-only" route?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Pinball Pusher

Radio Shack stock has dropped to 25 cents. They are not paying rent on store property. The Shack did well at the start of the school year. It showed they had enough retail capacity to raise their stock 33% in the short run. Then came "Black" Friday. NADA, it just started the plunge. X-mas, nearly nada. Was the poor end of year performance the final bell for RS? Sprint is chomping at the bit to get all that retail space.

When Lit
Old 01-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Pinball Technician

do you think i should stock up on solder , de-soldering wick , and other parts i get from them or should i wait for the going out of business half price sale? whatever doesnt sell a place like ollies might swoop up to sell. if anybody finds out about a GOOB sale let me know.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:55 PM
Pinball Wizard

If they close their brick and mortar locations and send me an e-mail about it, I'll let you know.
I wonder if the website has an e-mail notifications option? I started getting them after an online purchase. The option was available during cart checkout.

And the local RS downsized to a smaller store in the local plaza to make room for a 99 Cent-Only store.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Pinball Technician

i was just in my local radio shack to pick up soldering supplies. during check out i asked the employee about store closings. she said that the larger mall stores with the highest rent will be the first to close. the strip mall RS that i go to will stay open, but for how long IDK. also store hours will be shortened.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:33 AM
Pinball Wizard

It's official. Chapter 11 and selling off up to 2,400 locations.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/radios...222534944.html
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM
Pinball Technician

we went into the big mall RS that is closing to see what all is left. it looked like all the vultures had picked the carcus clean. i ended up getting a dual bumper car rc toy and a 4 gang surface mount fuse holder ( good replacements for bally em's). do you think that a lot of that stuff that was sold will pop up on ebay or amazon?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Pinball Pusher

Don't know the odds ex-Radio Shack goods will make it to eBay. I wasted my time by stopping by the Hunt Valley Radio Shack .They were quite busy and under staffed. I asked for de-soldering braid and a puzzeled looking employee pointed to the 'soldering section' then went on to talk cell phones with 4 or 5 customers. I don't think he knows what de-soldering braid is or does. He sure did not know there was none to be had. That strip mall store showed no signs of closing soon.

When Lit
The Following User Says Thank You to Coil_Smoke For This Useful Post:
pinballdaveh (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Pinball Porcupine

who is buying their stores? and what will their plans be?... are my Q's.

IIRC computer superstore microcenter has the soldering and cable / adaptor stuff that RS used to have. i guess everything else you have to order online now?

there used to be a really cool electronics store back in upper darby... i hope they are still around, because they were like radio shack on steroids, on steroids.

geez... i miss the old days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (02-25-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Pinball Wizard

I lost track of this thread.
About Ebay, it depends on the price difference since RS is still online where most of their good stuff remains available. I know that I picked up two 50 disc DVD spindles at the Circuit City closeout for $10 however long ago that was.

It struck me odd that RS did the Chapter 11 as they had just launched in-store "instant repairs" for phones and devices. Then like...Bang! Gone.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Pinball Wizard

Yahoo! posted a closeout/smart shopper article on Radio Shack.
It is Yahoo! however...no guarantees.

https://shopping.yahoo.com/news/what...201045417.html
Old 05-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Pinball Technician

Default Is this the end of radio shack?

Anybody heard of radio shacks 2nd bankruptcy? More stores closings?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 PM
Pinball Porcupine

no, but the news seems to be filled with this type of stuff: more sears stores closing, ringling bros shutting down their travelling circus (but keeping their original WI location), yahoo being sold off to verizon, etc.

on a side note, i read today that lots of manufacturers apparently produce lower-quality versions of their popular goods for sale exclusively at places like walmart. the boxes are marked the same as usual so people think they're getting the real deal and saving some nice money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
GSGregg (05-21-2017), pinballdaveh (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 40,046.29
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

All remaining company-owned stores will close, leaving 400 franchises operating. This I know, not because I'm a Radio Shack groupie, but because after you brought it up, I hit Wikipedia (also, I bought a 'bookshelf' stereo from them in '73). Apparently, Charles Tandy had bought them just a few years prior, and after he died from a heart attack in '78 at a tender 60, the company didn't know what the hell it wanted to do...I gave up reading all of their burgers and impositions (a little levity, there) long before the end; maybe someone with an affinity for opiates could take over.....

Edit / P.S: Just looked at the speakers from that stereo; they display the ARS logo (Allied Radio Shack), where a pair of larger ones I inherited and re-surrounded with new foam kits display Realistic. The '73 tuner-amp works, but the entire FM scale is locked on a single station around 90 to 92 MHz. Good thing baseball is on AM.....

Last edited by GSGregg; 05-21-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Seemed like a good idea at the time.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GSGregg For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (05-21-2017), pinballdaveh (05-22-2017)