Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > Real Pinball > Maintenance & Repair

Maintenance & Repair Discuss and offer tips on real life machines.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 223.32
jimmyjoe63 is on a distinguished road
Default Williams Tomcat f-14 won't play after changing batteries

My Williams Tomcat F-14 machine was playing fine, but had lost the sound. after unplugging and plugging in connectors to boards, I regained the sound. While I was in there I decided to change the batteries, so I did. I had the machine unplugged at the time. When I powered it up, I got an adjust failure code, so I scrolled through the menu and got it cleared. The game is currently in attract mode, but will not play. The credit button does not do anything. I tried to go in and restore factory settings, but it does not do anything, and like I said, the credit button acts dead. Obviously I have done something, because it was working fine before I repaired the sound.
Have patience with me as I only own a couple of machines, and do not really work on them except for minor repairs. I have tried finding information on the internet and on you tube, but can't seem to get the machine up and running.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

jimmyjoe
Old 06-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Pinball Technician

Credits: 69,699.25
pinballdaveh is just really nicepinballdaveh is just really nicepinballdaveh is just really nicepinballdaveh is just really nice

If the machine was on free play before changing the batteries, the machine is now in coin acceptance mode because of the default settings. Do credits come up after putting coins thru? If so does the credit button work now?
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballdaveh For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (06-24-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Inserted Coin

That is what I thought also, and yes it was on free play. I did try running coins through, but it did nothing and still credit button did not work.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:18 PM
Inserted Coin

Today I am happy to say that with some help over the phone, I was directed to connector J-8 and found that there was some corrosion on several of the pins. It looks like it was most likely from corroded batteries previously before the remote battery set-up was installed, and when I was unplugging and plugging in all the connectors, I got the sound back, but lost my credit button control because of the poor contact on the j-8 connector pins.
After cleaning up the corrosion, the credit function came back and I was able to set up free play again and make any other changes I wanted also. The pinball machine works as it did before.
Just thought I would let everyone know.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyjoe63 For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (06-24-2019)