Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > Real Pinball > Maintenance & Repair

Maintenance & Repair Discuss and offer tips on real life machines.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 9,748.25
upscomic is on a distinguished road
Default score motor runs continuously

thanks for any help....heres all the stuff that happened...

When I press play the game resets but the score motor runs continuously. If I advance the player unit(that's the stepper unit below the score reel bank-right?) ONCE it will continue around and when it stops the motor turns off and the game plays normally.

What started this problem is that this machine only gets played 2 3 or 4 player rarely. After I played it in 4 player the next time that I pressed play(once) it started 3 players(for one credit). This is my first pin and I've been reading EM repair to avoid doing more damage as I learn to keep it up but the score motor problem started when...... I thought that if I play it in 4 player once in a while and get some score on each reel and restart it, it will run through the start up sequence and rub off the wipers(?) enough to "fix" itself.

HERE'S WHERE I CREATED THE CONTINUOUS SCORE MOTOR RUNNING PROBLEM.

After I pressed play once and got 3 players, I played 3 games through to end of game, hit play, got 3 players, played to end of game, pressed play, got 3 players -didn't want to play 3 games again- and BAM uh-oh! I turned off the game in mid start up I think and when I plugged it back in or turned it back on and pressed play the score reels zeroed but the score motor kept running. near panic! turn it off and un plug it. My only attempt at repairing anything to this point was fixed by manually advancing the score motor. Did that but when I plugged it in and hit play the score motor still ran. OK lets advance the score reels and see if when I press play it resets and that fixes it. It did zero the score reels but the motor kept running. I saw the stepper unit there so I manually advanced the coil and it electronically advanced a position(from 7oclock to 11oclock??) and that's when the motor went off and it will play normally through one game. So now to play after I press play it zeros and while the score motor is running I go behind and manually advance the player unit and it then plays.....Thanks alot for any suggestions. Chuck206 930 2771

PS have to admit....Before I read not to try to MANUALLY turn the score reels I manually turned 2 first player score reels one position.... "SH**!". ....I don't notice any ill effects though.
AGAIN! THANKS EVERYONE
Old 02-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Pinball Troubleshooter

Credits: 32,636.90
spalmer will become famous soon enough

Sounds to me like the switch that tells it that the scores are reset to zero may be dirty.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Inserted Coin

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't adjusted any switches before. Where is that switch. AND is it hard to disassemble the player unit to clean those contacts and switches? Thanks for your help. Chuck
Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Pinball Troubleshooter

I have never disassembled one. I work on more of the solid state machines however here is a good resource with pictures.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to spalmer For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Inserted Coin

update:resolution? Last night rather than disassemble the player unit( after I checked again, it DID feel sluggish when I "stepped" it up) I used the flexstone to clean the contacts again that were right where the problem seemed to be happening. 30 games later on 1 2 or 4 player it is starting up correctly without the score motor running continuously. clean contacts seems to be the solution this time. thanks everyone
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Pinball Troubleshooter

Glad we were able to help!!