Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > Arcade

Arcade Post anything about Pinball Nirvana's Arcade Here

Old 06-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri View Post
A Stitch in Time-Past:ISN'T UPLOADING SCORES DUE THE OLD BUG.
JPH SHALL CHECK GAME FILES.

Yea! I hope this one gets som T.L.C. soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 01:05 PM
EM Enthusiast

Credits: 181,498.67
JonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
A Stitch in Time-Past:ISN'T UPLOADING SCORES DUE THE OLD BUG.
JPH SHALL CHECK GAME FILES.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Yea! I hope this one gets som T.L.C. soon.
Sorry about the delays, no time..
Game Fixed!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonPurpleHaze For This Useful Post:
Petri (08-21-2010), sleepy (08-22-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 03:04 PM
EM Enthusiast

JonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of lightJonPurpleHaze is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Boo:HAS STILL A BUG.WHEN SCORE GOES TO 10 OR OVER,IT
CAN'T BE SUBMITTED.GOT FLASH PLAYER 10 BUG SIGN.
I think I fixed the problem with missing files (scores over 10) but whenever you beat the highscore the flash player 10 bug prevents the score to be submitted.

Quote:
For some reason *I think* the games that won't run on FlashPlayer 10
think that FlashPlayer10 is only FlashPlayer 1. Notice how most of these games
say that we need FlashPlayer 7 or better?

I rolled back my player to version 9 but there are Flash progs that require version 10 now.
I complained to Adobe about this version 10 = version 1 error 9 months ago and they've obviously ignored it.
Thanks for the information sleepy, I updated my flash version again and the bug persists, can't find a fix for it so it looks like all of the flash version bugged games will need to be removed.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 68,696.82
Petri is a jewel in the roughPetri is a jewel in the roughPetri is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPurpleHaze View Post
I think I fixed the problem with missing files (scores over 10) but whenever you beat the highscore the flash player 10 bug prevents the score to be submitted.

Thanks for the information sleepy, I updated my flash version again and the bug persists, can't find a fix for it so it looks like all of the flash version bugged games will need to be removed.
I've already been doing this painful job.Just read the thread.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 42,677.06
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

Just tried to "search this thread" for Beer League Pingball, but got no matches.....and 484 posts seems like an awful lot of reading.

I last played the game a year ago, and remember nothing from then, but tonight I came nowhere near last year's score of 1.1M---physics-wise, does the ball always crawl like this? The Home Run shot, which I could hit only with a left backhand off a trap, takes four to five seconds to reach the 'dish'(?)* and the ball travels even more slowly across the open section of the pf, speeding up in the rollovers, bumpers, and briefly in the inlanes. Is this simply the stuff that I forgot, or a possible Java glitch I read about somewhere, or maybe my major-disappointment ATI HD4670 (AGP) running into yet another older-style game that it can't handle? (Pro Pinball and FullTilt! Pinball are two others.)

I would like to take a crack at Sleepy's 3M, but even my 1M is out of reach as things are. And, to paraphrase the old billionaire in a current milk commercial, "I've got a lot of good arcade credits, and I want to waste 'em! (get into the arcade a bit)"

* EDIT: What I called a 'dish' is a top-view of a beer mug (hic)

Last edited by GSGregg; 03-09-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Hey GS, I'm running an older 2.5 Pentium 4 and yeah, the ball is slooow in the lower playfield. Don't know what kind of beast is needed for this game, but it only runs normal speeds when the ball is around the top rollovers and bumpers.

Sorry I missed this thread.

P.S. Someone mentioned on the high score page that I got my score in 6 sec. Hmmm... Well, no.

That was some kind of a glitch, I swear!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Inserted Coin

Quote:
Sorry I missed this thread.
Likewise, sleepy. Looks like the email notification of replies isn't working.

BTW, have you checked out Pins and Needles yet? Reviews seem mixed, from the greatest place ever to extremely clique-y. While I'm not much of a clique-ster, I can understand that people tend to prefer the company of people they know to the company of 'them other'uns'. I guess my main concern is whether my car would still be there when I come out.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Pinball Wizard

Could be a clique due to Molly (the proprietor). Apparently she is there most of the time and they are reported to be open some nights til 4 A.M.

She also has video viewing parties and so it looks like a lifestyle gathering as opposed to a business for strangers.

No I haven't risked a trip, being bus dependent, very busy, and because they are open "on-notice" instead of maintaining scheduled business hours with a phone number.
If "the pink mannequin" is on the sidewalk outside, then they are open. And if the mannequin is not outside, then That alone will upset my balance of nature after walking 1/4 mile or more from the nearest bus stop.

Pins and Needles is located on the second floor of The Bedrock Studios (Recording, rehearsal, and support for struggling musicians). Used in the past by Neil Young.
You mean you wouldn't trust your car to The Bedrock?

Do you like cats? Molly does.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Inserted Coin

Quote:
..... they are reported to be open some nights til 4 A.M.
In that respect, at least, they're right in my wheelhouse. Just as long as I'm off the freeway before the AM rush hour takes hold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy
If "the pink mannequin" is on the sidewalk outside, then they are open.
No way to call ahead and find out?
Quote:
You mean you wouldn't trust your car to The Bedrock?
Not familiar with the studio or the neighborhood (I just dislike heavily populated areas---that's why I stayed in the 'burbs' all these years); what little rehearsal wasn't on the jobsite or at someone's home was at Local 47's rehearsal rooms over 30 years ago.
Quote:
Do you like cats? Molly does.
I'm the only one in my family who doesn't own at least two, but I like any cat that's willing to act like a pet (fair price for leaving a camouflaged turd where I'll step on it in the dark).
Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Pinball Wizard

Was? Are you retired?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Inserted Coin

Quote:
Was? Are you retired?
Affirmative. Music and I were through with each other by summer '93; enough hair had fallen out to blow my rock'n'roll credibility, the high-notes-at-all-costs voice was near its end, and my guitar playing seemed to have hit a wall, as far as improvement went. An MRI in '98 revealed several small TIAs (if that's the name for them) of indeterminate age, so I guess it was quittin' time. My automotive hobby became my living and now I'm going through a shitload of Medicare choices that came in the mail. (Well, actually I'm not, but I should soon because my enrollment window closes in May)

Since this subforum is called Game Reports, I guess I'll make one. I tried Beer League Pinball again after enabling VgaSave and putting the ATI in temporary retirement, but it didn't help. The ball still crawls and sprints in the same areas and the flipper shots are as unlikely as before, but now I get ball-through-flipper (sorry, Shockman, I had to say it!) occasionally---but on the upstroke!? I played several mostly sub-100K games with a couple of 700K+, but used up my patience. I guess I'll enjoy a few dozen FullTilt! Space Cadet games and then re-enable the HD4670.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Pinball Wizard

But you still play guitar as a hobby?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Inserted Coin

While I always enjoyed playing, and being paid for it, it's been a long time since I looked at it as a hobby; when I was through with that day/night's job, I went elsewhere and did something else. (Cocktails and pinball come to mind.....)

Being pretty much locked into covering top-40/popular tunes from all eras, the emphasis was on learning tunes much moreso than on playing proficiency, so practice occurred less and less often, especially after I 'hit the wall' that I mentioned. My guess is, the last time I pulled it out of the case was around two years ago.

One never knows when I'll get the whim, though, so nothing's for sale yet.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Pinball Wizard

And my folks are very protective of their properties,
especially when the properties are not theirs as The Creator.

Were these live covers or recordings for commercial use, or both?

So was it The Zep, Elton, Aerosmith, Styx, Kansas, Steely Dan/Doobies, Cheap Trick, or Debbie Boone, or Earth, Wind and Fire, Bee Gees, or Ohio Players, Stevie, or Wild Cherry, Zep, Beatles or Stones?
Fleetwood Mac? Eagles?

The Outlaws? Gerry Rafferty?

Plymsouls? Psychedelic Furs? Flock of Seagulls? U2 or Duran Duran?

The Sex Pistols? Pretenders? Blondie? Thomas Dolby?

Was it The Ventures, Beach Boys, Jan and Dean?
Was it The Isley Brothers, Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly?

Parliament Funkadelic? George Clinton? Bootsy Collins?

Don't tell me it was Morris Albert, but was it Albert Hammond/99 Miles From LA (the original, not the disco version)?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Inserted Coin

Quote:
And my folks are very protective of their properties,
especially when the properties are not theirs as The Creator.
Huh? did this bleed over from "Visual Pinball Legality"? (Chuckle chuckle)

Quote:
Were these live covers or recordings for commercial use, or both?
Almost entirely live cover. Whether the office sent out a trio or a 25-piece with horns & strings, the product was dance music, and the bills were paid by the old folks. Earlier, in the nightclub days, the audience was more fully ambulatory but the tunes were mainstream (people listened to what they really liked at home where they could smoke dope).

Lots of recognizable names in your list, but Plimsouls? Sorry; our "Can't turn you loose" was Otis' quicker version. And under penalty of purjury.....yes, it was Morris Albert. We made up for it, however, with Blood, Sweat & Tears, Chicago, Stevie wonder, Cheryl Lynn, Wierd Al (and his dad, Frankie ("She's Too Fat" polka), Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Cole Porter, Ol' Blue Eyes.....where does one stop?

Last edited by GSGregg; 03-11-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Misspelled 'Frankie'; I should know better.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Pinball Wizard

.....where does one stop?

I think when I don't feel it anymore.

Chicago. Would that be "25 or 6 to 4" or "Beginnings",
or would that be "If You Leave Me Now"?

There were definitely two versions to Chicago.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Inserted Coin

Quote:
.....where does one stop?
I think when I don't feel it anymore.
Heh.....what I meant was, where to stop adding names to such a list. We were never all things to all people, but even a 'little of everything' over 50 or 60 years piles up some names.

Quote:
Chicago. Would that be "25 or 6 to 4" or "Beginnings", or would that be "If You Leave Me Now"?
Mmm Hmm. We also got mileage out of I'm A Man, Does Anybody Really Know....., Make Me smile, Colour My world, Sing A Mean Tune Kid, Lowdown (also Boz Skaggs' Lowdown), Sat. In The Park, (damn, it's turned into another list!) and then the soft stuff.....

Don't they have another album due out in about five minutes?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Pinball Wizard

I'm out of the loop here.
I didn't know they were doing anything except Rhino retros.
Rhino released a 4 channel mix of the Chicago album in digital 5.1 format. I need to check that out.

And the soft stuff. I read somewhere that IYLMN was their biggest hit to date in '76 eclipsing all previous releases. Which I suppose is why the band went soft thereafter. It's a shame. I like your list better.

My favorite is always Feeling Stronger Every Day, probably for being dumped by a Hollywood chick on Grad Night through no fault of my own. She was a player.
So imagine my surprise when Bobby Lamm did the PSA for getting out the presidential 18+ vote in '72 and his partner in the spot was a dead ringer for "the chick", at least in those days. I still don't know the details. She passed away some years ago, looking very different from the one in '72, and I guess I never will...know.

Last edited by sleepy; 03-11-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Inserted Coin

Quote:
I'm out of the loop here.
No, you're not; I had to pull out my albums to jiggle my titles memory and with #10 only about seven years after CTA, it seemed like there was one every five minutes.
Quote:
And the soft stuff. I read somewhere that IYLMN was their biggest hit to date in '76 eclipsing all previous releases.
Yep; love songs sell, all right. My short list of faves, though, skips Chicago for Stevie wonder's Overjoyed, Al Jarreau's Morning, and the never-be-another-like-it How Do You Keep The Music Playing by James Ingram and Patti Austin.

Quote:
Which I suppose is why the band went soft thereafter.
I thought love songs were supposed to remedy that.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Pinball Wizard

Now if I could just get in touch with Jeffrey Osborne over "Stay with Me Tonight".
Else I'll just go mine some gold by myself...

How the hell does that song Not get to the top 10?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Inserted Coin

According to Wikipedia, it made #4 on the R&B Singles chart in '83, but it wasn't in Billboard's Top 100 for that year or the next. Go figure.

BTW, good job the other day on thatsinsane's non common sound issue. I tried following along (chance to learn something) but all my XP gives me when I hit the Windows key is the same menu that Start gives me. I guess the Windows Mixer is a "7" thing? Luckily, my headphones don't constitute a major audio requirement.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Pinball Wizard

Yeah, apparently Win7 has separate volume sliders for each program under Advanced, but I didn't know that!

And if I could just remember what the heck was top 10 in '83. Bananarama? George Benson? Ray Parker? Billy Ocean? MJ?
You see, my memories of that era exist in no less than three worlds. My world. My family's world.
And the nearby biz interests (actually friends of family, though not friends to me personally) living upstairs and adjacent to me who were pushing me around at the time...while stealing everything they could get to play.
But my gripes are not against the artists. Their talents are obvious, particularly in the years since, as many of them have vanished from the face of the Earth, or underwent "drastic style changes" from their known sound, from all genres.

But me, I'm still playing original songs with two fingers! All genres except for those of the kids.
I was born with a Cleft Palate. I ain't gonna touch hip-hop with my mouth or my age, but maaybe as tunes??
Old 11-19-2016, 10:15 AM
Inserted Coin

Finally, after almost five years.....another Game Report under Game Reports!

The 14,560 noted in Sea Dogs is my second score, automatically submitted, I guess, but there have been three better ones since---culminating with 15,464---that did not get submitted. If I'd known second place was this reachable, I'd have taken better care of myself!

EDIT @ 06:45 PST: Make that 16,852.....

Gregg

Last edited by GSGregg; 11-19-2016 at 10:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GSGregg For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 02:58 PM
EM Enthusiast

Sorry that happened to you, I'm not sure why the score wasn't submitted, only your best should be saved but if it mentioned anything about a server timeout I have made a change in the settings that should help.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonPurpleHaze For This Useful Post:
GSGregg (11-21-2016)