Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > VP/VPM Help and Support > VP/VPM General Information and First Aid Station

VP/VPM General Information and First Aid Station Request Help about Visual Pinball or Visual PinMAME.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:59 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 215.83
pinbot_67 is on a distinguished road
Default Roms

Ok, I'm new to this whole virtual pinball thing, but I love it! I've gotten some games to work, but with others I have had no success. Is there a place to find the proper rom files for a game? Is there a reason why designers can't include the rom files in their zip files?
Old 06-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 272,417.06
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

> Is there a reason why designers can't include the rom files in their zip files?

both table versions and ROM dumps are subject to change over time. combining them would introduce a level of complication / chaos that would be unnecessary.

> Is there a place to find the proper rom files for a game?

they're in the download section here and in each table's listing at IPDB.ORG. as a rule, you should grab the latest one, unless the table specifically asks for an earlier ROM.

> I've gotten some games to work, but with others I have had no success.

what games are you having trouble with?
Old 07-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 215.83
pinbot_67 is on a distinguished road

a couple of games play fine, but the score display does not work - they are blank. Whirlwind and Elvira and Party Monsters both do this. Any thoughts?
Old 07-01-2017, 09:48 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 272,417.06
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

i would guess that's an issue of tables being designed for different versions of VP and VPM.

i notice there's five different versions of elvira hosted here. you might need to experiment a little, trying to find a table that best matches whatever VP you're running. you might also try running a different VP. there are some mighty big differences between versions.

that probably sounds kind of confusing, but VP and pinmame are projects that go back almost two decades. between those and all the tables, literally hundreds (even thousands) of people worked on the project.