Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 09-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 1,431.26
Sleepy's Sister has a spectacular aura aboutSleepy's Sister has a spectacular aura about
Default Copyright Free Music Available for Videos

I thought maybe one of you internet/tech savvy folks on PN might be able to help me with a project that I'm working on. I'm putting together a highlights video from our grandson's basketball games and I'm looking for background music that I can use that doesn't require permission or royalty payments. I'm thinking something that is hip-hop, instrumental, bass heavy would be the right vibe for the kids these days. Any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2019, 06:54 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 288,337.50
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

The first place I'd suggest is the Internet Archive. All the music on there is copyright-free. It's also, for the most part, pretty damn old. You can also try googling "public domain music." I poked around for a few minutes and didn't find anything great right off, so it may take some internet-brand elbow grease!
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
Sleepy's Sister (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 08:20 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 347,923.10
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

There's also the aspect of how and where you intend to share it. If it's not likely to go viral and/or intended for profit, then I would think the chances of getting even a C&D letter are probably pretty remote.

On YT for example, usually when I've uploaded a song or used background music, I keep the video unlisted and unsearchable. Only those with a direct link can view it. I've never been contacted or any of my stuff taken down (which is how YT tends to handle such conflicts).

Not that I have anything against artists getting paid fairly, but there's so much video content on the net that borrows others' music, that my sense is it generally has to reach a fairly high level of prominence before license depts begin to get involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
Sleepy's Sister (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Pinball Wizard

Sleepy's Sister has a spectacular aura aboutSleepy's Sister has a spectacular aura about

I knew you both could give me some helpful information! Most of the music I've found so far has been pretty old, and my grandson would be embarrassed to have it added to his highlights. Looks like I might have to spend a little more time looking through public domain sites and that internet archive site you recommended, Bill. Thanks for the suggestions.

Nic - I'm going to be uploading the videos to some college recruiting sites. Don't know if the recruiting sites themselves might have a problem with copyrighted material.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepy's Sister For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:32 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 347,923.10
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

1) I guess the first thing that occurs is-- are there other videos on the sites in question that use copyrighted music? ("Be one with the herd" approach)

2) Another idea that sort of titillates me personally is using copyrighted music that's undergone a chord shift. Algorythms will have less of a chance to catch it, for one thing. But for another-- it's just a dang fun alternative!

Michael Jackson's "Beat It," but in MAJOR key:

Village People's "YMCA," but in MINOR key:

Mucho mas evidencia aqui:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MajorVsMinor/videos

(Bill, have you seen that stuff? Now I'm familiar with pitch-shifting and mashups, but dang)

Covers would be a similar idea.

3) As a long time streetball player (before I got old, hmmph) and as someone who adores Indie music and modern lounge / ambient, I'm partial to the idea of going a slightly different route, i.e. using such music, but actually giving full credit right in the title ("Bball heroics by rising stud [Song: Blibbeldy-Blabbelty by the XYZ band")

Some off-my-head ideas:

Shawn Lee - Cha Love

Cansei de Ser Sexy - Beautiful Song

Funky Porcini - This Ain't the Way to Live

Death By Unga Bunga - Stare At The Sun

Cosmos Sound Club - Les Chrysanthèmes (sort of a French rapping song)

My thinking is that such would actually be a way to help out band of choice. Like, when you're a little person gazing skywards so to speak, you're not trying to punish people for repeating your music. You're begging them to do it, in fact!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
Sleepy's Sister (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 09:36 PM
Pinball Wizard

Nic - You've given me a lot of ideas to consider. I like the idea of using the music from a relatively unknown artist to give them a little exposure too. I'm also glad you mentioned unlisted youtube videos too. I needed to transfer the videos from youtube to several of the recruiting sites, and I didn't really want all of my grandson's personal information out on youtube for anyone to see. I set up a youtube account just for his basketball videos, which I tagged as unlisted. That was very helpful!
Yikes! YMCA in a minor key really does have a different feel, doesn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepy's Sister For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (09-24-2019)