Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 10-27-2015, 03:40 AM
Administrator

Credits: 141,243.70
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice
Default mmm...Bacon!

Oh, maybe not...

Quote:
Processed meats like bacon, sausages and hot dogs can cause colon cancer and red meat is also a likely cause of the disease, World Health Organisation experts say, in a potentially heavy blow for the global meat industry.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-2...agency/6886882

Though then again, maybe there is a healthy option and bacon for Ike! I'd really like to taste test it myself, sounds great.

http://inhabitat.com/scientists-disc...e-fried-bacon/
The Following User Says Thank You to StevOz For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 06:14 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 310,855.27
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

yeah i had to give up lunch meats, burgers and sausages a few years ago for my diet. the usual proteins for me now are eggs, salmon, chicken and tuna... altho i only eat them about 2-3 x week.

anyway, that seaweed sounds interesting. i'll have to see if they have that at exchanger joseph's or maybe wholefoods.

the other day i read about about a fruit that tastes like pulled pork:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tried-...151400319.html

i also just saw a suggestion to grill watermelon, which i haven't tried yet. apparently it firms up and loses most of the sweetness... becoming something like a filet. i'm really looking forward to that experiment, frankly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
LeeVanCleef (10-27-2015), StevOz (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 07:05 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

This idea that this or that causes cancer is not honest. The majority of smokers do not develop cancer. The risk is 1 in 5 in a lifetime of tobacco use, and that risk figure is a liberal one. The Probability Rate of cancer is closer to 5% in a lifetime of smoking. The reason that they make the blanket statements is because of liability issues when those with a family history choose to ignore the warnings.
Everyone who has a family history of cancer should heed the warnings and avoid use. That's what the warnings are for.

And bacon? I don't have a family history of the disease, but I don't like the additives much. But you do realize that the carcinogen Acrylamide is formed when frying, baking or broiling starchy foods such as breads at temperatures higher than 248 F. / 120C. It forms in the browning of the starches, the golden brown crust of breads, etc.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...ome/acrylamide
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
pinballdaveh (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Former Operator

Credits: 60,243.88
Itchigo will become famous soon enoughItchigo will become famous soon enough

http://unitedchurchofbacon.org/

Testify!!

FREEDOM!!
Join the Rogue (A different kind of pinball site)
http://roguepinball.com/index.php
Old 10-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 11,535.74
Shooby Doo will become famous soon enough

The trick is to eat things in moderation. Have bacon, just not everyday. There's an 80/20 principal, where if you exercise regularly and eat healthy foods 80% of the time, then eating less-healthy stuff 20% of the time won't be so bad. I love killing a half-pound bacon cheeseburger 3 or 4 times a month, but steel-cut oatmeal, fruit, and green tea is a daily thing.

Anyways, the concept of processed meat being a bad thing isn't new and makes me wonder what the World Health Organization actually does if they're just now getting the word out.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

I think that Prometheus is a big part of it. As Itchigo said, moderation is key for most people, and I will add the need for balance, fresh raw greens and starches devoid of oxidizers and bleaching.

The problem with Nitrites in processed meats is that they *might also be forming* any time that any meat is grilled, by chemical interactions with atmospheric Nitrogen and the phosphorus (a chemical bedrock for the formation of nitrogen compounds, by the relationship of phosphorus to nitrogen in The Periodic Table) and sodium in the meat while grilling. But it does bother me that certain scapegoats are expressed as the cause of disease to avoid when other common everyday food practices fly under the radar. Like raw starch. It is non-existent in our modern diets.

I refer to reduction starches because the body uses phosphorus to release the energy from carbohydrates. But baked or browned starches are either oxidized or nitrated by the cooking process. Also, because I believe that phosphorus that is not properly metabolized by our balanced diets may be the cause of aging, particularly the appearance of grey and white hair due to bleaching of the hair pigment by the phosphorus which is an oxidizer.

And, I am not in favor of too much white meat which contains a higher amount of phosphorus. Does anyone else identify a bleachy flavor to white meat?

In the 1970's, General Foods tried selling a very believable fake vegi bacon with brown sugar and natural hickory smoke flavor. But it failed. And then about replacement products to prevent cancer, which ingredient are we going to leave out? The phosphorus? The sugar? The smoke? And when we fry it, it creates carcinogens. So, after removing all objections, what is left to enjoy? This is a long suffering issue with vegetarian products.

Initially, they exist as an alternative to the mistreatment of animals, but then everybody with an issue climbs on and soon the product is worthless. No fat. No gluten. No protein. No sugar. No salt. No taste or texture. But it still contains soybeans which must be detoxed before being used as a food.

Last edited by sleepy; 10-27-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 117,692.93
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice
Question

"Bacon-Of-The-Sea"..."I Can't Believe It's Not Bacon"...Add Water, Grow Your Own Bacon? I'd like to taste it. That umami flavor in Dulse is glutamic acid based so I don't eat it. That sea weed is already making it's way into organic 'health foods' and drinks as a flavor enhancer. I believe the stuff can taste pretty good. I have noted a smokey, bacon like flavor in dried fish food flakes.(I taste all my pets foods). I may detect that slight 'bleachy' taste in some chicken breast. More often in seafoods I find a spectrum from Iodine thru Bleach. YUCK

When Lit
Old 10-27-2015, 10:49 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
This idea that this or that causes cancer is not honest. The majority of smokers do not develop cancer. The risk is 1 in 5 in a lifetime of tobacco use, and that risk figure is a liberal one. The Probability Rate of cancer is closer to 5% in a lifetime of smoking. The reason that they make the blanket statements is because of liability issues when those with a family history choose to ignore the warnings.
Everyone who has a family history of cancer should heed the warnings and avoid use. That's what the warnings are for.
well we can argue about that hasta las vacas regressan, but regardless of cigs, we moderns are essentially living in a carcinogenic world. not just by breathing car and factory exhaust and brake-pad air, but even by our building materials... which apparently emit substances such as formaldahyde and other residuals based on the solvents and such they were manufactured by for purposes of efficiency, quality and low cost.

therefore i think we should (as usual) take into acct what nutritional science says... which is to counter by loading up on a healthy spectrum of antioxidants.

which is by mainly eating a plant-based diet supplemented by a limited amount of strategically-chosen animal products.

i agree with a post above proposing that we should be naughty in moderation. cuz after all, life is short and we're all going to die. but there IS such a thing as firing a heat-seeking self-directed missile upon aging and expiring more rapidly vs. finding a healthy, in formed middle ground... not too prudish... not too hedonistic... but sane and open to possibility... no special conspiracy necessary.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:38 AM
Pinball Wizard

Except that antioxidants won't make a dent in nitrogenous compounds such as urine.
I think the primary cause of disease and death is a failure of waste management. I know that the number one cause of death for cats is renal failure, and I would think that us humans are also subject to it. For sure, plants raised in nitrogenous fertilizer can't be too good for ridding the diet and body of nitrites or urea.

Note: If your corn smells like a chocolate bar that was buried under a pile of barnyard cow shit mixed with straw and piss, that is nitrogenated matter in excess.
I believe the bluish color of broccoli is also from nitrogen fertilizers. Good broccoli is not blue-green, but vibrant or dark green.
The metal content of broccoli may be affected. For instance, copper nitrate is blue.

Last edited by sleepy; 10-28-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:55 AM
Pinball Wizard

And the problem with nutritional science is, they work for the industrial complex and may be misdirecting us in order to avoid liability. I think that if they are correct, then why are we still suffering various conditions, additives, processes, that are counter-intuitive?

Our world has 7 Billion mouths to feed. So they take shortcuts such as fertilizer. And then they have to avoid liability, while in the meantime growing our own fresh food without the cheats is the only way to avoid those errors....or deliberate intents.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Pinball Porcupine

context: i mentioned antioxidants in relation to carcinogens, not your pet theories.

Quote:
And the problem with nutritional science is, they work for the industrial complex...
where are you getting that idea from? most science comes out of universities and the world's national academies AFAIK.

Quote:
...I think that if (nutritional science is) correct, then why are we still suffering various conditions, additives, processes, that are counter-intuitive?
science can only make recommendations, which it certainly does when it comes to many additives.

--policing-- additives is a political process, and that's where the big money comes in.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:13 AM
Pinball Wizard

Not pet theories. For instance, traditional caramel coloring is roasted sugar. This is a safe coloring. The caramel coloring that has been labeled a carcinogen is sugar that has been treated with ammonia before roasting.

And universities are not clear of influence when their financing is provided by industries that may have a conflict of interest.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:09 AM
Pinball Porcupine

8%&^*($%^$%# bill