Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 11-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all
Default I bought an Air Guitar

A basic beginner's Epiphomne acoustic guitar. Needs no electricity.
I pulled it out of the box, haven't touched a guitar except once or twice since 1994, and trhen only for a couple of minutes in 21 years.

It was pre-strung with steel strings, but out of tune. So I played it straightaway as it was, only tweaking the low E, A, D, and G strings slightly.
But then I discovered that my mic is wonky. So you don't want to hear this on headphones or buds BEFORE FIRST TURNING DOWN THE VOLUME because the recording is full of white noise from the need to turn up the volume due to the incredibly low mic sensitivity. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED! I said that just because of the weasels out there.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 MyFirstSong(OnMyNewGuitar).mp3 (1.04 MB, 119 views)
Old 11-28-2015, 09:42 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 310,855.27
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

that's pretty noisy for an air guitar. i might have to call shenanigans on that one.

speaking of weird tunings, i remember seeing somewhere an automatic tuner that lets you push a button to jump to one of a set of preset tunings. the mechanics will actually twirl the knobs automatically to the right positions. joni mitchell meets 2015, i guess.

i'd definitely give it a test run, tho. i had fun with alternate tunings for a while, but it was just too much of a PITA to keep switching back and forth, especially only having one or two guitars.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

The first "song" that I memorized many years ago was the standard tuning. I was a violin student in school and had no piano at home for tuning reference. So between the violin and my Brother's electric guitar (with No Amp!). I tuned by ear. Because I was Lazy.
Back then we only had Pitch Pipes to refer to, else other instruments such as pianos.
But the main reason was because, when you are on-stage in orchestra and your violin suddenly goes out of tune, you just can't break out the pitch pipe.

I always felt like the pitch pipes were a bother when I could do it by ear. My Brother did have a copy of "Play Guitar With The Ventures" and it had a tuning reference on the vinyl record, but tuning there is relative to the turntable speed. The playback speed of most phonographs back then were not pitch perfect and would get worse with wear and tear. The average turntable had no clock. But when all strings were tuned relative to each other. If all the strings are out of tune by the same amount and tuned to the recording, then it still works as a play-along.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

i have a pitch pipe, but i'm really bad at matching notes from one type of instrument to another. but after awhile i just learned the 'right' sound of the bass-E string, and from there you can tune the rest of the strings by the 'step down' method.

man, i wish my joint problems hadn't gotten so bad, because i really liked learning and playing guitar. :/
Old 11-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Pinball Wizard

I'm sorry to hear that Nick. Are you doing anything for the joints? Detoxing the uric acid and their salts?
Old 11-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Pinball Porcupine

thank you, sir. it's a long story. maybe the docs will figure out my health stuff one day.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Pinball Wizard

Man, if the Docs don't know it by now, then you gotta take care of it yourself.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Pinball Porcupine

like i said, long story.

on the plus side, i've shifted more to singing and playing some small acoustic instruments.

also, i have an ableton pad and focusrite mic / guitar to USB box that i've barely even played with yet. the sampling, looping and mixing capabilities should require me to barely play the guitar and still make all kinds of interesting samples and tunes.

hakyoku seikan (sp?) was really on to something.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Pinball Wizard

Yes he was, with Pictune. I was going to suggest using a Notation sequencer, where you write the notes into a sheet music staff and play it out as a MIDI or sample loop.

About those avocados, I have a reaction to them, so I've shifted to sweet peas for my Vitamins A and B5. Chinese snow peas and pods are also useful for me, though pricier.